Transmission Racket - Uh Oh

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rlwellman
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Wellman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 26031
Board Member Since: 2005

Transmission Racket - Uh Oh

Post by rlwellman » Sat May 08, 2021 9:22 am

Last fall I started the T (1914 Touring, stock, no starter except me) and after idling a minute it sounded like something came loose in the transmission. It sounded like when you put playing cards on your bike to flap on the spokes. I shut it down and could hear some sort of mild abrading when I turned it over on the crank. So I took off the hogshead, took out the bands and the noise was gone. So I put the band backs and the noise was still gone hand cranking. Put the hogshead back on and the noise was still gone hand cranking. When I started the car the noise was back - cards on spokes when it was running. Back to the mild abrading when hand cranking.

So I took all the bolts off the hogshead again and loosened it up but didn't remove it. There was maybe a quarter inch gap at the front of the cover. For giggles I gave the crank a spin and the mild abrading noise was gone on hand cranking. Cinched the hogshead down again and the mild abrading noise was back on hand cranking.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I had the hogshead off but since it was quiet I didn't look as hard as I might have. How much tolerance is there between the hogshead and the magnets? Am I looking for a magnet or something that has moved and maybe I dodged a bullet? Anything else I should be looking for? I have had the car a long time, but never had to do a lot of repairs. It has always just run (except for the time 12 years ago it ate the inside oil funnel).

Oh and last fall before all this happened it felt like the car was missing running on magneto at speed. Switching to battery seemed to make it run better.

It would be great to have some more experienced views.

Rick

1914 Touring, stock

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Transmission Racket - Uh Oh

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 am

My guess would be a magnet coming loose, or more likely a broken part of one.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

old_charley
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Ostergren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 cut-off touring/pickup: 1922 Touring car: 1921 TT Dump Truck
MTFCA Number: 8082

Post by old_charley » Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 am

Possibly one or more of the coils on the magneto ring has vibrated loose and and is being hit by the magnets on the flywheel. It happened to one of my Ts and created a birds nest of copper ribbon.

Topic author
rlwellman

Post by rlwellman » Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Interesting - I took the transmission cover off again and don't see anything going on with the magnets. Everything looked normal.

I took the bands out and clamped down the cover and there is no rubbing. So it is related to having the bands in the car? They look to be cotton and are 40 years or so in the car at this point but don't look worn out. Since I have everything out I'm going to reline the bands (kevlar - good for another 40 years for sure) and reinstall to see where that takes me. The detachable ears on the bands were on the passenger side of the car which I understand is incorrect. Don't know if that could lead to a problem.

I assume I'm correct that even though my bands have detachable ears that does me no good since I have the long low speed peal shaft and the wrong low speed adjustment screw. I have the one without the pointy bit. Looks like the low speed shaft disappears into the adjusting screw.

Thanks for any other thoughts.

Rick
Attachments
PXL_20210512_174954502.jpg

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed May 12, 2021 2:37 pm

Cotton bands that haven’t been changed in 40 years? Do you only drive it five mikes a year?!

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Corey Walker » Wed May 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Mine had those symptoms about 3 years ago. The noise, sometimes would run on mag then sometimes it wouldn’t. I kept thinking it was the mag post shorting out but never found anything there, then the noise got worse and it wouldn’t run on mag. I guess this screw has been coming loose and finally broke. The noise I couldn’t exactly pinpoint, it sounded sometimes like the fan hitting the radiator. It was right after I removed the fan belt and the noise persisted that it finally broke.
Attachments
4F710C65-8523-492B-98D2-06D25C4690FA.png
FB956B68-0C24-44C9-A212-B6C55B7009FD.png
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

Topic author
rlwellman

Post by rlwellman » Wed May 12, 2021 6:22 pm

More than five miles a year but less than a couple hundred. It was rebuilt in 75, was driven occasionally for a decade and spent a decade on display. Now I drive it to the post office every so often during the summer. :D

Corey, I was looking for something like you show. I felt all the screw heads, looked at the peenings on the flywheel and tried wiggling things but found nothing that seemed out of sorts.

Thanks,
Rick

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Have you checked triple gear bushings for excessive slop? Wiggle each one.

Topic author
rlwellman

Post by rlwellman » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pm

So after a lot of taking the transmission cover off and putting it back on I established that the noise was not present with the bands out. I relined the bands, reinstalled everything and the noises are gone. I can only assume that even though it wasn't apparent, the old linings had worn badly enough that the metal band was rubbing on something. Now it is taking forever to adjust the bands because I am scared of overtightening the new kevlar bands.

Back on the road!

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:42 pm

I had a magneto suddenly stop working, but the engine would run on battery and ran on the battery for about 10 years until I needed to pull the engine. I found that the magnets had hit the funnel on the oil line. The funnel had come off and was laying in the bottom of the crankcase. Fortunately, the T had an outside oiler, so the engine ran for many years after that. I had been driving for at least 10 years on battery and no noises or problems except that the magneto didn't work. I found that the funnel had cut the copper windings on the magneto ring and I replaced the ring and recharged the magnets and the magneto works fine.
Not saying that is your problem. Sometimes a broken magnet will sudden come loose and fly right through the hogs head. When that happens it could also cause other parts inside the engine or transmission to be damaged. It could even go up through the floorboard and hit your leg. So be sure to inspect very carefully to be sure the source of the noise and magneto problem. Sometimes it is just end play in the crankshaft which causes the magnets to be too far from the coils. Sometimes whatever was making the noise has settled to the bottom of the crankcase such as what happened to my funnel.
Norm

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:08 pm

rlwellman wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pm
So after a lot of taking the transmission cover off and putting it back on I established that the noise was not present with the bands out. I relined the bands, reinstalled everything and the noises are gone. I can only assume that even though it wasn't apparent, the old linings had worn badly enough that the metal band was rubbing on something. Now it is taking forever to adjust the bands because I am scared of overtightening the new kevlar bands.

Back on the road!
I can help with your low pedal adjustment. (left hand drive)
Adjust with the motor running. tighten untill you start to hear faint noise of the tripple gears starting to engage. Back it off 1/2 turn. It will take a minimum of 3 adjustments before they take a set. Drive between adjustments.
This method will give you "perfect" adjustment. Kevlar feels soft & mushy, like soft cotton. As long as you are getting "lock up" before the pedal hits the floor, you are good.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:03 am

How does the magneto work now?
Norm

Topic author
rlwellman

Post by rlwellman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:55 pm

Norm,

Just getting back to this project. Like so much of what I undertake, what I thought was the problem is unrelated. I fixed the magneto "problem" by replacing the 50 year old spark plugs with some new $3 jobs from Napa. Not authentic but idles smoothly, runs smoothly at speed. That was easy.

Thanks for your interest,
Rick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic