Insert Bearings.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Insert Bearings.

Post by Chris Haynes » Sun May 09, 2021 1:54 am

I am looking for an engine re-builder in the Los Angeles/So Cal area who does Insert bearings.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Re: Insert Bearings.

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun May 09, 2021 2:16 am

Engine Machine Service. Not sure if they do T engines.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sun May 09, 2021 2:17 am

Big dollar project. Any T builder can re-build but it's more of doing your home work on how the re-build will work out for what parts can be still bought.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun May 09, 2021 9:13 am

I'm no expert here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought insert bearings require a pressurized oil system?

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sun May 09, 2021 10:09 am

TWrenn wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:13 am
I'm no expert here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought insert bearings require a pressurized oil system?

You are CORRECT! But there are rebuilders that will do it.

Inserts in a non pressurized engine with no oil filter tend to cause more wear to the crankshaft journals due to abrasive action of contaminants in the oil. Which generally means that by the time you have to replace an insert, you may need to replace the crankshaft too because the crank and insert wear at about the same rate (because the bearing isn’t thick enough to “bed in” any contaminants).

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Sun May 09, 2021 11:54 am

I have tore down several engines with inserts, you need a filter system also to clean the oil before it gets to the bearings, the bands have a bunch of crap coming off them and floating around in a T engine.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sun May 09, 2021 1:53 pm

If you want insert bearings (why?) then you really should add oil pressure. Then to take advantage of this you need a full flow filter. This can be done without any external changes to the block but is much more convenient to add one externally. This of course may require external links piping. I use the magneto post to bring out the electrical connection for the pressure gauge. So now you need a distributor though I guess you could use the original coils on the battery. I have done two oil pump systems one with an early VW oil pump run off the back of the camshaft. This required a slot cut in the back of the camshaft. The other approach was a Datsun pump in the generator location. Here it runs much faster and has much more reliable priming. However the generator was relocated to the left side of the motor driven by a flat belt. It takes a little effort to get the water pump and the alternator mounted. Mine required an idler pulley to ensure more than 180 degree contact on each pulley. Inside the motor the oil pipes can be either copper or steel. I have never had a failure with copper but I agree the steel is more substantial. However some runs are very short and bending them in place is a challenge. Finally to provide the best oiling to the rod bearings you need a drilled crankshaft.
So I repeat my question “why”
By the time a competent experienced build has added a first class system to your motor he will relieve you of 6-10 thousand dollars.
Is your “why” worth that much money.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 09, 2021 3:30 pm

Having insert bearings in a T has been around time and again over the years. It’s kind of like adding improvements to old technology and the question usually comes around again as to why?
Building a racing T engine would be one reason for some people but just to have a good running T to go on tours with and etc it’s not necessary. T’s ran for years and years without them with babbitt. To each his own.

BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Sun May 09, 2021 3:40 pm

Some of the shops specializing in hopped up Model A engine rebuilding might be able to help you out, but again, why? Are you building a full race overhead engine? I can see why you'd want inserts and pressure for an application like that, but if you're running a stock or mostly stock engine, staying with Babbitt is a lot easier than engineering a whole oil delivery system and trying to fit it to a T engine.

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Sun May 09, 2021 4:26 pm

Babbit done right should out last inserts in a model t.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun May 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Even a fast t dosent "need" inserts. I have got great service from a babbit T block full body flathead. Capable of 70 mph, even with a stock crank. Cruises very comfortably @ 55-60. The last one does have a scatt crank. Money better spent, even if just for the smoothness.
Throwin a bunch of money for an insert motor may be misspent. Unless you are going full race overhead. Going faster than 70?
You still need to beef up steering, front end, brakes, etc. With T tire footprints & the best brakes, you still have to pick safe, empty roads to open her up. One jerk in a modern can ruin your day. The best T brakes are no match for a modern.
Stock body T? The top wont take these speeds up. If you are building a light speedster, you dont need as much horsepower.
Hopefully these posts will help to an informed decision.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic