Several Questions: About Hub Caps and Springs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BLB27
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Brakke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 31192

Several Questions: About Hub Caps and Springs

Post by BLB27 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 pm

(1) How do you remove the hub caps on wire wheels? I have applied penetrating oil and am waiting a day or so.

(2) Do you paint the entire individual spring leaf (prime and top coats) and then apply the slip coat or do you apply the slip coat to the bare metal "contact" surface?

(3) The rear spring tie bolt on my 1927 coupe has the small head. There has been comments that I should use the thicker head bolt, which I sort of like, but here is what I have noted. Langs 2021 catalog (page 109) indicates the thicker head was used on 1909-1916 models and the small head on the 1927 model. I am just curious, any comments about this?
Attachments
20210509_150908.jpg

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Several Questions: About Hub Caps and Springs

Post by DanTreace » Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 pm

Finished script cap on wheel, take a long flat head screwdriver into the backside of the wheel hub well, and pry the tabs up, then pull the cap away.

Hub grease cap on the wire wheel hub, take a slim flat head screwdriver and pry the cap away from the housing.

Either prime or apply Slip Plate graphite paint directly on the bare metal. Assemble the spring stack using a length of all-thread rod and two nuts, then use a clamp to the compressed leaves, remove the all-thread, and insert the center bolt. Affix the outboard spring leaf clamps. Then finish paint the entire stack. Low head bolt is ok for later crossmember, just be sure it fits into hole when securing the spring u bolt clamps.

Test fit again as your cross member channel looked compromised in the center, the spring stack should fit snug, needing persuasion sometimes with a heavy mallet.
DE736B58-1F03-4C62-934A-839866504412.jpeg
1896BC57-C12E-4708-8FE2-B7D1C72521C3.jpeg
5C9D771A-4D8F-4B0C-B33F-396DB1F6AF62.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Lang's is great for most parts, but I wouldn't buy another of their spring bolts. Get the authentic one from Bob Bergstadt.
Painting springs some folks paint the whole unit assembled. I paint all the parts separately and apply slip plate on the bottoms of all leaves except the main one. I use phosphoric acid metal prep and paint with satin black rattle can Rustoleum. Some prefer glossy. I don't. It needs no primer. It looks good and is very durable.

IMG_0444 copy.JPG
IMG_0359 copy.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 pm

A lot of people are not aware of the pad that belongs on top of the spring (3823 front, 3842 rear). You can Google the forum for drawings and photos.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 pm

The hub caps for the wire wheels are installed from the inside. You have to remove the wheel first. Then follow Dan's instructions.

The front wheel hub has a cap covering the nut. Pops off with a screwdriver. They are not easy to find, so when you pry it off remember to do it gently because you are going to put it back on later.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 pm

I do my springs just like Dan.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
BLB27
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Brakke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 31192

Post by BLB27 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Question for Steve J: Just to make sure I understand your procedure. "Do you paint both sides of each leaf and then apply the slip coat"?

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri May 14, 2021 1:46 am

Before coating, it would be a good idea to file the underside edge of each leaf to a rounded shape so that they don’t dig into the top side of the leaf below it. Don’t need to file off much, just enough to take off the sharp edge so that when the leafs flex, they glide across the top surface instead of digging in and scratching off the protective coating which will allow moisture to reach the bare metal and cause rust to start.

The slip paint is paint with graphite in it and will coat and protect the metal while lubricating between the leafs and can be applied to the bare metal of each leaf. I don’t think other paints or primers will stick to it, but I am not certain of this.

In 2002, before learning that slip paint is available at TSC Tractor Supply, I mixed my own slip paint using graphite flakes and gloss black enamel using the original Ford formula I found on the forum 20 years ago. I posted this formula on the forum in about 2006 www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/19078.html. I applied my slip paint mixture to my bare leafs, but only to the portion between each leaf and not the sides or the top of the top leaf nor the bottom of the bottom leaf. I remember that it was incredibly messy. LOL! It is easier to control if applied with a brush. After applying to the portions between each leaf, let dry, then assemble the leafs together tightly. Take a cotton rag and clean the exposed areas with mineral spirits (which is not as powerful as lacquer thinner). If the mineral spirits does not remove it and clean down to the bare metal, try lacquer thinner (which is more powerful). Don’t use a lot. You don’t want it to penetrate between the leafs. Just dampen the cloth enough to clean off the slip paint from all areas that are exposed after assembly. After removing the slip paint, from the exposed areas, prime the assembled springs with red oxide primer and coat with a good grade of gloss black enamel or paint of your choice. The front spring can be done this way too. Keep up the good work. Jim Patrick

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri May 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Do you paint both sides of each leaf and then apply the slip coat?

I don't know if it's right, but that's the way I did it.
In the photo, note that I've masked the sides of the painted leaves so the slip plate goes only on the bottoms.

I should also give a heads-up on what not to do. Several years ago, after reading about it on the forum, I used UHMW tape instead of slip plate. That did not go well.
IMG_1422 copy 2.JPG
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat May 15, 2021 10:49 am

Note. If you do not paint the leafs and elect to paint them with slip paint, be sure to paint both sides of the unexposed areas of each leaf instead of just the bottoms. Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic