Update 6/2/21 What full set of Mr & Mrs Leon Parker plans do you have?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Update 6/2/21 What full set of Mr & Mrs Leon Parker plans do you have?

Post by JTT3 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:21 pm

Update: 5/16/21: just off the phone with RA Buckley whom is sending a letter of release for gratis use of his wood plans, slowly we are making progress.

Please let the Forum know what full set of Parker plans you have. List year & model. Thanks for your help. Fordually yours, John
Last edited by JTT3 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jim overstreet
First Name: jim
Last Name: overstreet
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 roadster pickup project, 1916 touring project, 1929 A closed cab pickup
MTFCA Number: 32632
MTFCI Number: 32632

Re: What full set of Mr & Mrs Leon Parker plans do you have?

Post by Jim overstreet » Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 am

I have a set of 1925 roadster plans. I agree that this is a worthwhile endeavor and would be willing to contribute to the club.
'Endeavor to persevere' - Lone Wattie

pre15dale
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Kemmerer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring 1911 open runabout

Post by pre15dale » Wed May 12, 2021 10:40 am

`I have a set of 1914 touring plans and a set of 21 to 25 touring plans

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 am

Put me down for a set of 24-25 coupe

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed May 12, 2021 11:56 am

I don't have a set of plans to contribute but I applaud the effort. This is one of the more worthy projects I'm aware of that will help preserve our cars for posterity. Congrats to you all for your generosity.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 12, 2021 1:11 pm

This all sounds great and maybe will force the hand of the person that got all the plans, when copyright issues come up! Hope it does not come to that, so carry on.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:39 pm

John and Members,

You REALLY NEED to rethink donating all of the plans to the museum. If you read the entire Leon Parker thread, you will find several references to museums that have screwed people donating to them. While the purpose of a museum is to preserve history, the PRIME directive is to MAKE MONEY and most museums do not care HOW. If the plan program isn't making money or not ENOUGH money, the plans are gone. I believe this is the reason the museum does NOT have the plans at this time.

Be Careful, Very Careful or all will be lost.

Terry

Topic author
JTT3

Post by JTT3 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Terry I get it however most people at the museum have a real stake in the prosperity of the club & hobby. Sometimes we have to take a risk to be proven right. I read intently the entire thread, including the warnings of those that experience the bad side of donations.
However I also read that there was a great resolve to somehow gain access to plans for the sake of future enthusiasts. One thing that you might have missed is the request to make full size copies and to keep the original. That’s what I meant by the cost to the person donating. My question is what do we have to lose? We can complain and nothing positive happens or we can be actionable and make it happen. I’m an open book on this, if anyone has a better idea, let’s do that instead of nothing. So far we’ve had a great response, it’s been less than a day and we are making positive progress. We can’t agree on what type oil to use in a T but I believe we can agree on the need to be selfless in turning an idea into a solution no matter who’s idea it is. Thanks though for your input.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 12, 2021 3:02 pm

As I understand it, only one person has Leon's original plans and so far we don't know who that person is. Everybody else has copies. If I had a copy I would make one for the museum and keep one for me, and have no worries about what eventually may happen to the museum copies. Personally, I expect materials given to the museum will be safe. I like the idea of downloadable PDF's on the club website.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed May 12, 2021 3:09 pm

I think that copyright issues is a dead issue. If it was that the people who are making the wood kits thought it was an issue they would not have been making the kits for the last 40 + years from plans they acquired. I had a set of Mel Miller’s plans I sold nearly 20 years ago so either the buyer still has them, sold them or done whatever. And no telling how many times T wood plans have been passed around over the years from others who sold them after they used them for their car rebuild.
Whatever becomes of the plans that were made avaliable to the public 2 or so years ago hopefully some “well meaning small group or individual” that may have acquired them will shed some information what is going to be done with them. If they ever do?!?!

I have always thought that having the MTFCA Museum making them available for T enthusiasts would be a good idea. Maybe somebody or persons who are acquainted with the Museum knows what’s going on with Leon’s plans.
The truth is out there somewhere.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 pm

You need some entity to be the custodian. There are steps you can take to insure they will be preserved, protected and available. if the MTFCA gets involved their role should be to digitize them and return the originals to their owners. That way nothing is lost.

If the plans were ever copyrighted, the copyright may still belong to the widow unless legally transferred to the new owner. If you plan to sell them you need to understand if anyone truly owns the rights.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Wed May 12, 2021 3:38 pm

I stated in the other forum that I would help any way I can getting the prints scanned

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 12, 2021 4:03 pm

"The truth is out there somewhere." Yes but did Mulder find it? :D
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Wed May 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Y'all would think whoever bought them might speak up?

What y'all are talking about is maybe possible...because even with copyright there is something called fair use doctrine. Fair use = free. Goes like this....1- The item is used for education purposes. 2-The item is a subset of something else, someones critique included as the overview, or further instructions. 3-No money can change hands. The copyright holder can still bring action against you, but with the 3 above in place just about every judge going would side with the new 'editor' and then you get to threaten countersuit for costs on being served notice which will make the plaintiff lawyer go 'oops'?

Need more legal on it, but I think thats how it works. Better yet would be for the owner to be the editor.....

Kuhner
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Kuhnash
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917, 1921 touring 1927 RPU
MTFCA Number: 28086
MTFCI Number: 21773
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Kuhner » Wed May 12, 2021 9:08 pm

I have a set of 1915 to 1920.
I would be willing to copy, if the copy right isn’t a problem.
I see no such mark on my plan. Glad I bought them when I did.
He also sent link for photos. Really nice ones, link doesnt work anymore. Wonder where the photos went.

Greg
“I don’t like nice people. I like tough, honest people”. - Woody Hayes

Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876

Post by Lyndon » Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 pm

On the other thread about Leon Parkers woodworking plans, as I posted back in June, That I purchased his entire collection. Except for the plans, which had already been sold. I did get several wood patterns, some marked and some not marked. I do not know who got the plans but you might be able to fine out thru one of Ron Patterson's old posts.
search.php?keywords=cyrus+sharp

Topic author
JTT3

Post by JTT3 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm

Hey Forum we’ve got a really good start going on here surely there’s more folks that have full sets of plans from the late Leon Parker collection. Let’s get them back in circulation. Donate donate a full copy of your set. Best John

dmdeaton

Post by dmdeaton » Thu May 13, 2021 4:11 pm

How many drawings in a set and what size are they?

Topic author
JTT3

Post by JTT3 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:38 am

Here’s an update, so a data search for Registered copyright resulted in no copyrights registered under Leon Parker concerning model T wood blueprints, in addition I spoke with a representative of the MTFCA & Museum, both were positive but further work will be required. The best option (thank you George Mills) appears to be digitized ( thank you Danny Deaton) plans with a scale option that would be place perhaps at the resource tab on the site. This would be free for member use, perhaps a small donation to the Club / Museum would be something you’d consider in spirit of good for the club. This is all in the very early stages but hopeful an expedited conclusion will be reached. If anyone has an active number for Mrs Parker, I’d like it to reach out to her for her blessing on this project. If you have / had a relationship with Mr & Mrs Parker and would be willing to make contact and gain approval of the proposed plan in writing even better. I did check with an attorney concerning copywriter law and was told that post 1978 registered copyrights are good for the life of the author + 90 years. Doesn’t seem to be an issue though as a search for registered copyrights at the federal site were not found from 1979 to present. Keep looking and donating a copy of your plan to the effort. I have volunteered to spearhead this but a group effort is needed once approval is confirmed.

dmdeaton

Post by dmdeaton » Fri May 14, 2021 7:00 am

👍
Any help I can be just let me know.
I live 20 minutes away from Richmond

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Fri May 14, 2021 10:40 am

John-
Many years ago Jay Klehfoth asked me to approach Jennifer Miller (Mel's daughter) about obtaining the rights/permission to be able to reproduce Mel Miller's plans. At the time his plans were still advertised in the Vintage Ford, and when plans were not delivered, they would call the MTFCA office to complain! Jennifer and I e-mailed a couple of times, I called her and bottom line was that she was busy with kids and life and simply not interested. I wanted to make sure they didn't end up in a landfill somewhere!
After Leon's passing I contacted the MTFCA Board about acquiring his collection and was told that it was "not a project that we want to pursue because of the manpower and resources required to be successful with the project."

I got my first set of Mel Miller wood plans when I was a kid back in the 1970's and did the wood for my 1919 touring car. I can remember having to sign a document and swear that I would not copy and sell his plans.

Over the years I have collected the following Mel Miller plans:
1914 touring
1915-1922 runabout
1915-1922 touring
1923-1925 runabout
1923-1925 touring.

I have not see any of Leon Parker's plans and have no idea how they are different.

When the whole copyright issue is resolved, I will be happy to make my collection of wood plans available for contribution to the cause.

Danny, the plans are on 18" x 24" sheets, and some 8-1/2" X 11" and 8-1/2" x 17".

On a side note, I wrote to Mel many years ago asking him about wood plans for a low cowl coupe. He wrote back a couple of times and told me that he did not have plans for closed cars, but did send some pictures and other documents. He truly wanted to help, but he could not. Some of his correspondence was written on the back side of junk mail or whatever he had available to write on and he would ramble on a tangent kind of like a manifesto. It was sad and clear that his mental capabilities were rapidly declining. He gave a lot to the hobby.

At one time Jon Anderson was working on drawing a set of 1913 wood plans.

: ^ )

Keith

Topic author
JTT3

Post by JTT3 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:35 pm

Keith my friend that would be great. I don’t have any copies of Leon Parker’s plans but some have stated on the forum that do that there is no register number on the plans or anything that that say copyright. Again I don’t know if that’s the case because I have no first hand knowledge however Mrs Parker in the initial thread on this said there was no copyright and that Leon’s plans were more specific. There is no current copyright that I can find either. Thanks again brother, best John

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Fri May 14, 2021 1:00 pm

I bought Mel Miller’s plans for my 1919 Roadster in 1971 for 10.95. I still have have Mels hand written reply letter he sent me about the cost and him encouraging me about how the plans would make it a lot easier to rewood a T.
I didn’t sign anything about not copying them. Digging some more in some old papers I had kept around that time I found an adverting sheet I remember getting at a Swap Meet either in Oklahoma or Texas. It was from a company or individual selling T wood kits. It was called Craftmans Guild and located in Montana. Mel Miller was in Oregon at the time.
They are pretty close together and whether someone else was was using his plans or their own is unknown. So I don’t know.
I sold the plans to an individual years ago like others might have done over the years. You could see them for sale from time to time on T sites. Not much lately though.
Now that T plans are a topic some people are in limbo what to do with them. So the question is what are people going to do with them or give them to the Grandkids for posterity. It’s just a shame people cast doubt about the unknown which has ALREADY happened from companies that are using plans to build T wood kits. At least the wood is being made and can be had if it’s for your car. And we already know whose plans they are using.

26rdstrpickup
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Morrison
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 model T pickup

Post by 26rdstrpickup » Fri May 14, 2021 4:46 pm

Maybe the club could offer them on DVD like some of the other restoration information. I have a few projects where having wood plans available would make a huge difference.

26rdstrpickup

Post by 26rdstrpickup » Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 pm

Do drawings of the wood body parts exist in the Ford archives?

Topic author
JTT3

Re: Update 5/16/21 What full set of Mr & Mrs Leon Parker plans do you have?

Post by JTT3 » Sun May 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Afternoon fellow hobbyist, Quick update. So you won’t have to scroll down to view any updates I will add them to the 1st entry with the date of the update. We are making progress in making this a reality.

dmdeaton

Post by dmdeaton » Sun May 16, 2021 6:18 pm

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Many thanks

Musketdoc
First Name: Ralph
Last Name: Shepard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Speedster, 1923 touring

Post by Musketdoc » Mon May 24, 2021 7:31 pm

I need a set of '23-24 Touring plans when they become available!

Rich Huggins
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Huggins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring- 1922 deverley truck -1922 center door
MTFCA Number: 50661

Post by Rich Huggins » Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 am

I would like a set of 23-25 touring plans and 14 15 16 touring set for the next car i will buy

Topic author
JTT3

Post by JTT3 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:47 pm

Ladies and gents, we’ve hit a snag but one that’s not insurmountable. I do want to thank the many folks that are contributing and for doing the leg work in trying to get releases. So the Snag is with Ford motor company and staffing at the offices that need to be contacted to get there permission which trumps everyone’s “copy write”. Next month their staffing will be back up and running and I’ll be able to reach the correct powers for a release. So stay tuned we are going to get this done. Best John

26rdstrpickup

Re: Update 6/2/21 What full set of Mr & Mrs Leon Parker plans do you have?

Post by 26rdstrpickup » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:12 pm

I am curious why you need permission from FMC. I am not a lawyer but I am under the impression that any documentation created prior to 1926 is in public domain, and you are not making copies of FMC drawings. You are not reproducing parts, nor or you using the Ford trademark. You are providing copies of a restoration aid that gives restorers information to rebuild bodies to their original dimensions.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:46 pm

If you read the original post on this subject, you are aware of the grim warning I included in that post.
BUT!
I have another post to make, and this one is more encouraging.
Some of you may be aware of the Franklin Air-Cooled Automobile.
Like a lot of orphan car manufacturers, when they went through bankruptcy, in a LOT of cases, all the drawings and tooling were picked up by people who bought the entire company. This was the case for Franklin.
In the early car era, from 1905 to perhaps 1912, a lot of defunct companies were purchased by the "Black Diamond Automobile Company." I have found indications that at least 30 early manufacturers of primitive automobiles, were bought by Black Diamond. If I can ever find their archines, it will be a real treasure trove of information on very early automobiles.
Later, in the depression years, guys like Dallas Winslow purchased automobile companies such as Franklin. I believe he also bought Cord, Duesenberg, and some other companies.
The remains of the Franklin Co. were eventually purchased by a man named Tom Hubbard, who endowed the Franklin Foundation in Tucson, and turned over all the company blueprints that remained to the Franklin Club.
The Franklin club has taken these blueprints, had them scanned, and they are now available digitally, on-line for downloading by anyone who is a member. So if you have a question about a particular thing on a Franklin, you can consult the original engineering drawings. The Franklin club does NOT have all of them, most of the early car car drawings were discarded as there was not seen to be a need for spare parts for these cars, as so few were built originally, and so few remained, that there was no economic reason to retain them. So a lot of the early Franklin drawings have been lost. But for the Franklin that I have, which is an 11-A Coupe, nearly every drawing is there and available.
I would fully support the idea of the Model T wood-framing plans being scanned, and posted to be freely available to members of the MTFCA. It would be one more inducement to join the club, if nothing else.
If this club does it like the Franklin Club did theirs, then every drawing can be located, examined, and downloaded digitally, in a matter of minutes.
It is a wonderful resource, easy to use, and absolutely WONDERFUL if you own a Franklin automobile.
If you want to see HOW GREAT THIS COULD BE, CONTACT A FRANKLIN CLUB OFFICER, AND SEE IF HE WILL DEMONSTRATE HOW WE GET ACCESS TO FRANKLIN DRAWINGS. i am sure they would be happy to provide access to a few of the leadership members or officers of the club, and then they can quickly see how, when it is done right, it can be a VERY valuable resource.
Sending the drawings off to a custodian, with no real access for members, would be a serious mistake, and probably lead to the circumstances that I raised in my initial posting about the dangers of putting items into the care of a museum organization.
But it can be done well, or, as in the case of the Franklin Club, AMAZINGLY WELL!

MHSprecher
First Name: Milford
Last Name: Sprecher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50046
MTFCI Number: 24309

Post by MHSprecher » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:49 am

I had a digital copy of Ron Buckley's plans made when I copied a couple of sets for people recently with Ron's permission. If he has authorized sharing the plans, I am happy to donate the memory stick that I have to the plans repository so it will be available to those who need it. Ron's source for plan copies has been unavailable. I was able to find a place near me that would copy them, but it was a lengthy process to get the copies made due to the workload at the shop that I used. I could have other copies made for those who want them, but it would be as I have time available. Print cost plus shipping was around $115.

26rdstrpickup

Post by 26rdstrpickup » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 pm

It has been 2 months ... any updates?

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Well as of the present time it looks like there are not any updates. I am beginning to think that this is being over thought out. Whoever’s got the plans maybe is trying to get past all of the “unknowns” before it’s been made public. People can overthink all kinds of what if’s and make it near impossible in their own mind. I hope that’s not happening.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:49 pm

If it is a copyright violation of FORD's product to make a sketch of 100 y/o damaged wood and then replicate the sketch, I'd say that FORD could probably stop selling cars and just prosecute copyright violators. Those who have a drawing of a wheel spoke and engaged in the replication of them are in deep snit.

In the total absence of evidence of any FORD drawing of a door shut pilar for a 1920 runabout (for example) being used in the creation of a plan or set of plans, the documentation and distribution thereof of documentation of said part in no way falls under the domain of FORD. With respect to FOMOCO having copyright control over another individual's documentation of personal effort and intellectual creativity, I've got to say that I have not heard such nonsense in an awfully long time.

"Copyright", "Trademark" and "Design Patent" all have different applications and to worry about a Copyright violation of FORD, based on someone else's drawing of a fragment of work makes zero sense and can only be attributed to misunderstanding what a "copyright" is.

If the drawings in question were for a dead-on or very close facsimile of a complete 1920 FORD runabout body, AND there existed a Design Patent for that body, AND a body was actually created prior to 1935, then the existence of a complete BODY would be an infringement on the patent.

And it STILL would not keep someone from measuring the body and making an exacting dimensioned drawing of it.

Dear Lord, are there not ENOUGH things to worry about these days, than what FOMOCO would say regarding Mel's work ???

I think the desire to bring these plans together to provide a library for future and present restorers is a laudable effort. If, however it becomes a black hole from whence these plans will never see the light of day, then I will double down in my rejoicing that none of my copies ever made it there.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:14 pm

In a different vein, these plans and their disappearance from the hobby via auction sale and not showing up again commercially, reminds me of another item lost to the T hobby

Who remembers Ernie Brown and his reproduction carbs? Or Glenn Johnson who bought everything from Ernie, from foundry patterns, to castings to finished parts, to mountains of complicated tooling? Glenn tried to get me to buy the stuff but I was not convinced of the demand or efficacy of the carbs (questions I still have). I hear it all finally got sold to Russ Potter and at the time, was a better bet on the future than if it had been me.

Now, has any one EVER heard of a Potter-made 5 Ball Kingstons or Holley 4500's ?

I sure haven't

Rare carbs, voltage regulators, complete supply businesses, and probably now drawings; these things get swallowed up in good intentions and lack of execution.
Scott Conger

Will_Vanderburg
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 pm

I said early on that you’d never see these plans in the daylight again.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Not even a ransom note! ;)
Scott Conger

dmdeaton

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:10 pm

All you need to do is take them and have them scanned high resolution and put the files on a memory stick. The files can be zipped up and emailed to anyone who wants a copy. It is that easy. If files turn out too large to email pay 20$ for a memory stick and charge for this plus ship. Still cheap and easy.
Whom ever gets a stick can have full size plots made at their local copy shop. Not much easier

dmdeaton

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:16 pm

Hard drive space is cheap and easy. Don’t need a commercial server or rented cloud space to store all the files. I stated previously I would have the papers scanned and even return them to the owner to get this going. I do not want profit for this, as I have a full time business and this is just a hobby for me.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:07 pm

Danny

I think I speak for many if not all folks when I say that I hope this comes to fruition and wish everyone involved the best success and thanks for doing this. It is just that history has not been heavily on the side of success in matters similar to this. The virtual disappearance of the original collection is an ominous indicator.
Scott Conger

JRSpada4
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Spadafore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49891
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by JRSpada4 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:58 pm

I hope this project comes to fruition. I purchased a set of 23-25 roadster plants from Leon in August 2018. They were an invaluable resource for rebuilding my roadster. I have the full set and will gladly donate them to the cause if it moves forward.

26rdstrpickup

Post by 26rdstrpickup » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:04 pm

Been another month. I am guessing this is dead now?

T Cruiser
First Name: Ted
Last Name: VanBeek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring, 13 Touring, 10 Touring
MTFCA Number: 2025

Post by T Cruiser » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:52 pm

I have most of the Miller redwood plans. I am presently trying to acquire the rights to reproduce the plans from Mells daughter. If I can acquire the rights, I plan to donate them to the Model T museum so the can be used for a fund raiser. These plans are easy to use and are fairly accurate. Ted

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:53 pm

Ted

Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I was under the impression that the Museum had not the staff nor the inclination to deal with these.

If they are all collected and offered up to the Museum as a fund raiser, then they will likely disappear for a 2nd time.

Personally, I would offer them to a reputable supplier with a history of being in business and has a succession plan to remain in business...any sale proceeds from them could be forwarded as a donation to the museum if that is your ultimate wish.

Opinion Only: Your idea is noble, but might actually not be in the best interest of the hobby.

It would be nice if someone representing the Museum spoke up regarding this issue and clear the air for good.
Scott Conger

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:42 pm

Of all groups or people the guy on the street would think knows something about the plans I have a feeling that some body knows from the club knows what or where Leon’s plans are.

On the other hand if anything is going to happen with Mel Miller’s plans it already would have.
They have been copied and been passed down to other Model T hobbyists over the last 5O+ years. The companies that are making the body wood kits at the present got their plans from somewhere and it doesn’t take long to figure out where they came from.

Whoever has them bought them pretty much thinks they have the best idea about what to do with them. The entity that bought them is the one that hasent said anything about them. I think we can figure out who that is.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:45 pm

John

care to share your knowledge?

dumb old me, cannot devine out of thin air who bought them...

I wish Ted all the best, but knowing how museums operate (and I do not say that pejoratively) I do not believe the museum is the right place for them.
Scott Conger

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:40 am

Scott ‘ the truth is out there’ in someone’s closet! Have to laugh to keep from crying as someone once said. It’s such a dad gum shame.

Will_Vanderburg
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:09 pm

My thoughts are this:

Somebody in the Model T community BOUGHT the plans OR they never left Leon's widows possession.

SOMEBODY knows.....and they aren't telling....
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

26rdstrpickup

Post by 26rdstrpickup » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:53 pm

Just a few months ago, there were people willing to share plans and it looked like a process was being put in place to share those plans with the Model T community. What happened?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic