Rear Wheel Outer Bearing Grooved

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Rear Wheel Outer Bearing Grooved

Post by bdtutton » Wed May 12, 2021 1:10 am

I have a 1914 Model T and I was replacing the grease seals and noticed some scratching and pitting on one of the outer wheel bearings. Since it was apart I decided to replace the bearings. When I try to order new outer rear wheel bearings I find the new ones do not have the grease grooves. Do you know of anyone carrying grooved bearings?? If they are no longer available, how good are the new non-grooved bearings?

Thank you....

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Rear Wheel Outer Bearing Grooved

Post by Allan » Wed May 12, 2021 5:22 am

The Hyatt type grooved bearings are not being reproduced. The solid roller replacements are not generally recommended for regular use. The best solution is to source original bearings with as little wear as possible. Tnhe best ones are found on the inner ends of the axles where the load is less and the lubrication is better.
Good luck in your hunt.

Allan from down under.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 am

Condition of the bearing often mimics the condition of the axle and bearing sleeve, those may need to be replaced too. Those are not grease grooves in the rollers, they are made that way by rolling flat bar into a spool that results in a roller that is like a spring and can bend. Modern bearings are made from round stock and lack the spring like qualities. Modern reproduction sleeves are good replacements, and modern reproduction axles are good replacements, but as Allen wrote, the modern repo bearings are not good. Good used bearings can be found at swap meets for $5-$25 each. Take a micrometer and measure both ends.

Topic author
bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 am

What do you think of the new Modern Sealed Bearings ??

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 12, 2021 11:16 am

The original hyatt bearings were essentially springs. They spread the load over the length of the bearing. A modern ball bearing creates a shear line where the bearing ends & the axle protrudes. I have seen a ball bearing converted axle sheared on a national tour.
Look on ebay. Used hyatt's show up occasionally. Ask for dimensions. Rarely do sellers provide or claim to be able to provide. (New rollers were .500") I would run worn used. .495" is my limit. (thats .010" slop) Look for smooth wear, minimal pitting & no flaking of bearing surface. Some of the new bearing sleeves are thicker than others & take up for some of that extra wear.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm

In the case of Hyatts with .005" wear, how about installing a strip of .003" or .005" shim stock the length of the sleeve between the sleeve and the tube, opposite the sleeve split. I wonder if that would work.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 12, 2021 12:17 pm

Sure, why not?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Steve

It works just fine. I have done it and used spray adhesive on about 1/3 of the shim, on the leading edge of rotation of the sleeve as installed. It stayed put during installation and has given zero trouble in use.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm

The Hyatt bearing should have at least .005 inch clearance, which was recommended by a Hyatt engineer.
Art Mirtes

Topic author
bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Wed May 12, 2021 1:15 pm

I did the original post...Thank you for all the responses....I called some of the suppliers and they also feel the original bearings were the best. One of my bearings is basically perfect and the other only had some minor pitting and wear on one end. What I am thinking of doing is buying a new sleeve and turning the bearing around so the slightly pitted end will be inward and not taking the load near the end of the axle as it was before. The pitting is fairly minor and only on the end of a couple of the rollers so I should be able to drive it until I find a replacement.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm

The .005" is wear from the new standard of .500" roller diameter to .495". That .005 bearing clearance you mention is built into the case diameter & sleeve thickness. As mentioned, some new replacement sleeves are thicker than others, & can compensate for some bearing wear. The idea is to maintain that original .005 total clearance. Dont forget that a little axle shaft wear adds to the total looseness as well.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 12, 2021 1:31 pm

bdtutton- A bit of wear as described will be ok. I speak in the language of dimensions. The wear #'s tell me what needs adjusting for. Your solution of turning the best side of the bearing out & replacing the sleeves is a good one. Most wear occurs on the sleeves. Notice how easy the bearing slips back in. They should push in with a little resistance. You may not need to address this issue again for a long time. Find a few good original bearings to have on hand for the next T. Good luck

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed May 12, 2021 9:13 pm

Adding to the mix of differing dimensions caused by wear to the bearings and axle, is the fact that the bore in the axle housings varies also, by as much as .008" when I was making floating bearing kits. So you have quite a range of possibilities with which to play. In a perfect world, with new replacement axles, somewhat thicker reproduction sleeves, a choice of axle housings, and little worn bearings, you might be able to get close to the optimal combination.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic