Today's Adventure and Misadventure

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Today's Adventure and Misadventure

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Today I trailered my '17 Touring about 45 minutes south to Port Huron, Michigan, to go for a mini tour with another couple. A beautiful day, bright blue sky, comfortable temperatures.

Leaving the trailer at Walmart, we drove to the Bluewater Bridge(s) and from there south along the St.Clair River to St. Clair, Michigan. We stopped for lunch in Marysville and ate on the open deck of a river-side restaurant. Good food, great conversation, all to the accompaniment of 800 foot bulk freighters passing close by on the river.

The T ran great but I began to notice a little wiggle in the motometer attached to the Berg's Radiator. Something similar had happened last year just before the neck came loose. I had it soldered back on and replaced the wings that used to adorn my cap with a lighter dog bone cap. I have to do some investigating but I suspect it's back to the radiator shop. I have a couple of questions about the problem in a follow-up post.

The wiggling motometer had most of my attention and then as I was driving on main street in the old downtown I heard a tinny crash and the sound of glass breaking, all accompanied by the shocked expression on the face of a guy watching us pass. He started pointing wildly so I pulled over as soon as possible. I got out and walked around the car an lo and behold, the right headlight rim was missing. The good samaritan appeared shortly with the rim in his hand. It was minus it's glass (broken) and one of the retaining clips was gone. I pay attention to the position of the rivets in the rim so I don't know it worked loose without me noticing. Darn! It was an original... I have a tour over Memorial Day Weekend so I'm putting this down to a good shakedown trip (literally). My friend reminded me that you're never finished with a Model T :D
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Today's Adventure and Misadventure

Post by DHort » Fri May 14, 2021 2:49 am

Gerry Berg told me not to put any type of motometer on my radiator. He guaranteed that the radiator will never overheat. I miss my wings, but I will do as I was told.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic