Luray Swap Meet Finds

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Luray Swap Meet Finds

Post by Retro54 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:51 pm

What did you find at Luray today? Dad and I got some good finds! With reasonable prices and great selection from quality vendors, this was our first year attending but will not be our last!
Attachments
IMG_20210514_194835949.jpg
IMG_20210514_194840448.jpg
IMG_20210514_194845585.jpg
IMG_20210514_194850285.jpg
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Luray Swap Meet Finds

Post by Mopar_man » Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Had a great time at Luray today. This is what I came back with.

First of all I bought an axel from Dan Hatch. He rebuilt the holes and made sure the axel is straight. Very nice work.
IMG_4477.jpeg
Got a reproduction horn for Rattles.
IMG_4480.jpeg
Picked up sone oil as well.
IMG_4479.jpeg
This was a bit expensive but was real nice. The guy I got it from said he thinks it's NOS. Not sure but it's all there and in real nice shape.
IMG_4481.jpeg

Bill Anziani
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Anziani
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe

Post by Bill Anziani » Sat May 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Found a Stevens universal joint tool, and a Stevens hub re-threading tool

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Of course I managed to find a few great spark plugs for my collection, and some extras to swap with others including some NOS early copper plated Auburn Ignition Company plugs. There were also a few NOS Champion priming plugs available that I did not spend the bucks for, and a set of four pretty well used Champion priming plugs that I also passed on. (I have plenty of them in the collection already.) I also brought home some NOS spindle bushings, a NOS set of tripple gears (for spares), a few brass top coils,a NOS timer in the box for display in my old store recreation, some gas lamp fittings, and this gem - with a great story behind it. It's a nearly minty Rubes Horn complete with proper bracket, tubing, l-shaped tubing connector, and the bonus - an original RUBES bulb still on it. The rubber bulb is still supple after all these years, but as just lost its shape from laying flat a long time. The story - I found this in Richmond Va many years ago and carried to up to the Howard County Fairground swap meet held annually in March. When living in Baltimore, I was a regular vendor there. I took it not to sell, but to show to Ed Henline. Well-if you knew Ed, you didn't just "show" him something. He'd talk you out of it for either green folding stuff or trade for something. Ed knew I loved plugs and a lot in my collection came from him years ago, so for some bucks and some plugs, the horn changed hands. Ever sell something you regretted? Yup, that horn haunted me for the next 30 years. When Ed passed away, some of the parts began to surface, and last year at Luray in October there was quite a display from the remaining stash of his parts department. This year, the horn was there on the table. Well, you seldom get a chance at an item like this so when it was offered to me at a great price I did not hesitate. I shared to story with his kids and we all got kinda misty-eyed. I'll never forget Ed walking around the swap meet there in Maryland showing it off. First he would show the horn, getting ample ooos-and ahaaas. He held the bulb discretely in his other hand, and after looking over the horn, he would then swing the bulb abound and blow people away with the Rubes inscription on it. Everyone said it's the only one they had ever seen.
It was a great weekend and is already on my calendar for next year.
Terry
Attachments
Rubes Horn bulb.jpg
Rubes Horn 1.jpg
Rubes Horn 1.jpg (33.91 KiB) Viewed 1584 times

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Mon May 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Terry, You lucky dog!!!!! I've been looking for something like that ever since I got my '14 Touring in '06.
BTW, how does it sound? Deep tone and strong volume? That bulb would be a great item to have reproduced (RV... hint, hint).
I've also been looking for just a reed with the right tone. Almost got one once but I thought the seller was asking too much. I still regret not buying it. :(

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic