Help with 13 Headlights

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Cap
First Name: Cap
Last Name: Weir
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 & 25 C Cab

Help with 13 Headlights

Post by Cap » Sun May 16, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm working on a '13 T that has been 'Converted' to electric Headlights.. It's not mine, but I could not say no to a fellow T'er in trouble.
Presently it has late model Lamp Reflectors, with Bulb Sockets soldered to the reflectors. This looks like an Old Conversion. The Reflector just rattles around in the housing, and it has late model Headlight Glass shoved behind the doors and closed.. It all rattles and looks like garbage to me..
It's a '13 that has recently been converted to a Starter, no Generator. Whom ever did the conversion, just painted and polished the Lamps, and stuff all the old guts back in. The 'Idea' for the starter,was to have the Car sit on a Battery Tender while it's in the garage, and use the battery only for starter, and lites only as needed for Legal.
I'm going to add the LiteBulb/Diode Battery charger from the Mag Coils, and convert it to the E-Timer.. This will make a much more derivable machine for the 80 Yo owner.

I'm needing help trying to figure out how to 'Fix' the '13 headlights.. I see the Replacement Reflectors, with LED Lamp conversions I can stuff back into the housings. I do not see anything regarding '13 Lamp Glass and retainers at Lang's or Schneider's..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cap

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Help with 13 Headlights

Post by George House » Sun May 16, 2021 3:55 pm

‘09-‘14 headlamp glass is round and nothing special. It’s held in the rim by a large snap ring. Find the diameter and most any mom and pop glass shop can cut some 1/8” glass
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Topic author
Cap

Post by Cap » Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 pm

George:..

Thank you..

Where would I find the Snap Wire Ring..

Cap

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:48 pm

What brand of headlight? If they are JB, Victor 1s or 2s and Corcoran fairly easy, E&J not so easy but doable. Once you let me know I can help you with a decent solution for the later reflectors. Best John

Topic author
Cap

Post by Cap » Sun May 16, 2021 6:06 pm

John:

I'm not schooled in Brass Lamps.. But I own a Camera..
Lamp Side 2.JPG
Lamp Side 1.JPG
Will these Pics help?.. The top pic I took is too big to upload.. If needed I can try to resize it.. There is writing on it but the numbers look to be two digit, embossed and polished to oblivion..

Thanks for your help..

Cap

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sun May 16, 2021 7:59 pm

Well, they’re not E&J. I’ve opened the door on my left ‘14 headlamp to try and illustrate what I meant by large 3/32” O ring. See the 3 “dimples”
Attachments
C811FCF9-D7DF-429A-A597-C59162B8FBBD.jpeg
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

JTT3

Post by JTT3 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:50 pm

They appear to be Jon Brown model 16 so this will be easy. If you note the reflector sits nicely inside the bucket with an 1/8 in space around the circumference when centered. To do this the lamp needs to be off the forks so you can work with it. 4 ways to go here if you’re using the reflectors in it. 1- Buy a tube of 100% silicone, clean the inside surface where the reflector will sit centered with alcohol, lay down a heavy bead of silicone and nest the reflector in it, once nested run another bead on the top edge of the reflector, with a wet finger lightly smear the top layer of silicone so that it joins the bottom layer and forms, if you will, a gasket that should hold the reflector once dry, I’ve tried epoxy but it shook loose after a while your mileage may vary. 2- similar to the above but this time you will have to (3-4 places) sand to metal and silver solder the reflector in. 3- the most labor intensive, you’ll note there are 3 holes where machine screws were holding the wedge that seated the parabolic mirror. You’ll have to find 3 long thin bolts that will reach the holes you’ll need to drill into the edge of the reflector and lock down with a nut & lock washer. Looks like crap but works. There are various other ways to do this similar to number 3.
4-May favorite is to keep them original and use acetylene.

Topic author
Cap

Post by Cap » Sun May 16, 2021 9:18 pm

JT:..

Thank you for the Identifier.. That is why it looks like a two digit number, cause it is.. I just could not read it..

As you see, what I have there holds the reflectors in place. and it's replaceable.. but not ideal.. It's the glass I'm having problems with.

Is there a supplier for the 'Retaining Ring' to hold the glass in?

Thanks..

Cap

JTT3

Post by JTT3 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:58 am

Sorry about that I thought I read that it was loose and rattling in the bucket, on the lens retainer like my good friend George expressed pretty simple to fabricate. Also George is exactly right about any decent glass shop can cut you to lens for about $20 bucks. Find some spring steel rod and bend it round using a large coffee can. In a pinch I’ve use a metal handle from a five gallon bucket and shape it to fit. Since your using bulbs instead of acetylene you can use a version of method one I explained in the post on setting the reflector. Set the glass in the door and use silicone around the edges, of course remove the door by taking out the pin in the hinge so your working with it face done. This is most definitely not a good idea if you’re using acetylene though, silicone and really high heat is bad mojo.

Topic author
Cap

Post by Cap » Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 am

Got it thanks..

I'll roll my own..

Cap

jerry knouse
First Name: jerry
Last Name: knouse
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1
MTFCA Number: 30978

Post by jerry knouse » Mon May 17, 2021 8:48 am

I found that coat hanger wire is the right size for retainer ring. Easy to bend and stays in place.

[/size]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic