Shock Absorbers for 1914 Touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Shock Absorbers for 1914 Touring

Post by bdtutton » Mon May 17, 2021 2:29 pm

I recently purchased a 1914 Touring car that I hope to actually tour with when I finally get it put together. One of the things that concerns me is the lack of shock absorbers on the car. I have driven modern cars with worn shock absorbers and they can be really hard to control when you hit a rough patch of road and I am thinking a Model T might be even worse. I have noticed pictures of several Model T's with aftermarket shocks and I was wondering if anyone still makes shocks for Model T's and if they do, which ones are the best? I am adding Rocky Mountain brakes and will be adding a Ruckstel rear end later and I have noticed they say they will not work with some types of shocks. Any recommendations?

Thank you....Bryan

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Re: Shock Absorbers for 1914 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm

I think you need to go take a ride in a car without shocks and one with to feel the difference if any. Also, you have to be very careful regarding the design of certain aftermarket shocks, because some are flawed and can cause an accident from collapse. Some shocks are of very good design and strong, others are questionable. I have hassler spring shocks on one of my cars.

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hudson29 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:57 pm

As Three Pedal Tap Dancer suggested, drive your car before making up your mind about this. I'm amazed how good the ride is on my '14 Touring with no shock absorbers at all. Ts are low speed cars by their nature & if you drive them as they would have been driven back when they were built there should be little issue. That's not to say there are NO places where shocks might help. A bad washboard road might be one of them but on normal modern roads the ride is pretty good.

Another thing to consider - even though many sorts of accessory shocks were available to buy, they were not widely used. The vast majority of ts got along with the stock springs & nothing else.

Paul
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon May 17, 2021 5:11 pm

I run rebound straps on the front and rear of my 1924 and consider them a worthwhile improvement. I made them out of the heaviest leather belts I could get at Walmart. :)
Attachments
IMG_1009.jpg
IMG_1011.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Mon May 17, 2021 8:00 pm

As long as the front end and steering column of your car are in good shape, it will get along just fine without any shock absorbers on most roads.

Stephen

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon May 17, 2021 8:15 pm

The incompatibility of accessory shock absorbers and Rocky Mountain brakes is real. Many types have different spring perches o be able to fit them, and these get in the way of fitting the brakes.

Allan from down under.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Mon May 17, 2021 9:17 pm

I have a feeling the OP is asking about real shocks. Yes, there are reproduction “Hartford” friction shocks available for the T’s, that cause no interference with accessory brakes or create potential chassis failure points. They simply provide resistance to the free motion of the springs.

The safety concerns stated in previous posts are relative to “Hassler” and similar design era accessory “shocks”. These “shocks” commonly have altered design spring mounts and additional helper type springs made with inferior metallurgy.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Mon May 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Don’t know if they’re still available, but here is a clip from an old thread;
BCA5E49E-C40B-4737-A35E-9AE20FBEBCC1.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic