Digital only MTFCA memberships

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Digital only MTFCA memberships

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Has the time come for the MTFCA to offer the ability to receive the Vintage Ford online.
After receiving the magazine for 48 years I believe the time has come to offer the ability to just receive it digitally. I will offer a couple of thoughts;
1. Cost, particularly for us that live outside of the USA. The postage cost does add up
2. Storage space. The book shelf does fill up after 48 years

I have not subscribed to a printed newspaper for over 10 years and get most of that online.
Our local club chapter has offered it’s newsletter digitally for a number of years. Yes a paper version is available to the very few people who don’t use the internet.
The added benefit to the MTFCA I believe would be a increase in membership as the cost of printing and mailing the magazine which I suspect is a significant part of the membership cost could be eliminated.
Have a great day

Steve Hughes
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Hughes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1921 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 216
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23070

Re: Digital only MTFCA memberships

Post by Steve Hughes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Les: Thank you for the suggestion. That might be something that we should consider. Printing and mailing is a significant cost, and any savings would be beneficial to the club and to the members. I do think that many members would still opt for a printed magazine, but I don’t see why a digital option couldn’t be offered. I will bring this idea to the board to see how it is received.

Steve Hughes
MTFCA board member

Sam_Mendenhall
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Mendenhall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 462
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 15031
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Sam_Mendenhall » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:08 pm

I love having the book in my hand, if it would cost a little more to continue this I would be all for it. It is a bargain at the price the best of
publications. My opinion. Thanks MTFCA for a fine rag.

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:31 pm

A couple of other non-profit organizations that I belong to have switched to digital newsletters/magazines provided as part of the regular dues. For those that want to continue to receive a hard copy in the mail, the option to pay extra, e.g. $2 an issue /$24 annually, including postage, is available. The positive impacts to the groups' annual budgets have been significant.

Keep crankin'
Eric

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Our local chapter offers either or both digital and/or hard copy newsletter. This satisfies most everyone and reduces some of the newsletter expenses.

The MTFCA dues currently include the hard copy of Vintage Ford. Most all of us expect to see dues increase due to rising costs of printing and mailing. I believe many of these costs would be offset by those wishing to have digital versus printed copies. Thus, dues could be held down as much as possible. I see digital delivery as a great benefit. For those outside the U.S., digital would be much quicker. For those wanting to "downsize" digital would also be a great benefit. But, for those who love to hold the magazine open to admire the covers photo, you're not going to get that thrill on your computer or phone.

My vote goes for ADDING the option of digital delivery at this time. Let the members choose the delivery method that makes them happy.

To be perfectly fair, there would need to be two dues levels: one with hard copy (more expensive), one with digital copy (less expensive). This would be difficult to administer for the size of the club membership. It could be done, but at what expense?

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm

I for one would sign up for the online Vintage Ford immediately it comes available, :!:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 pm

I put forth a suggestion some time back to have a Supporting level of Membership. It would come without the magazine but you would have full membership other wise.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:03 pm

One of the things motivating this idea is as follows;
Our local chapter is attracting quite a few new young members BUT we are struggling to achieve 50% membership in the MTFCA.
Our philosophy in our club is that ownership of a T is not a requirement to becoming involved. My line is “please come and get involved, we will “seduce you “ into getting a T”. And I certainly think that the Vintage Ford is a very worth while magazine I want to make it easier to “seduce “ new people!!

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 pm
I put forth a suggestion some time back to have a Supporting level of Membership. It would come without the magazine but you would have full membership other wise.
I would support that. I don't really read the magazine. But I do very much like the other things that the club does, the least of which is not this forum.
1924 Touring

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 am

I find it difficult to read my device in my reading room, I have a basket in there that holds all of this months magazines to peruse at my leisure! :lol:
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

rnkugel
First Name: Reuben
Last Name: Kugel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring 1926 RAJO Speedster
MTFCA Number: 49871
MTFCI Number: 24323

Post by rnkugel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 am

I would be all in favor of having the option for a digital copy of the magazine. Many years back the NRA made the switch for a digital option, which I did. A digital copy gives me many options when it comes to saving, labeling, printing, etc. My vote would be to offer this option.
1915 Touring
1926 RAJO Speedster

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:18 am

One of the reasons that I like the old cars is that they are from a less complicated time, and to me using the confuser to access a book is not less complicated. Not everyone has a confuser, is good at using it or always has internet. If enough people want a digital copy, fine but please don't do away with the magazine. It is also hard to loan out a computer, if you loan a magazine to someone, it lays there waiting and reminding them to look at it and they don't have to remember how to find it on the internet (if it is even available to them).

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 pm

I would like the option - the paper copy needs to remain as an option for those who prefer it. For myself, I'd rather the club save some money and let me have the newsletter online in a format that I can save and/or access online. Somewhat reduced dues would be nice but I'd be willing to let the difference go to support the museum (at member option of course).

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm

I think that if a digital option for the Vintage Ford magazine is offered the cost if any, the person entering the info for the digital option and etc needs to be considered and it should be extra. I do like a hard copy of the magazine. That’s my preference.
I personally don’t like to be totally tied down to the net for T information and all my personal information floating around on the ‘cloud’. There is to much of that already.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 pm

I belong to a few organizations that offer the option of a print or digital magazine.... those opting for digital only typically pay less than those opting for the print edition. The profit is the same to the organization but for some people it is a more affordable option and they are more likely to join in the first place. The end result is greater income for the organization.

In my experience, very little extra work is required to produce a digital version of a print file. Perhaps poll the membership and see what they think.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm

The digital file for the web or email would be trivial to produce as it could be a lower resolution of the primary file sent to print. The lower resolution would require less storage space and data transfer time while still being a perfectly fine resolution for screen viewing or printing on a typical home style printer.

The expense would come in with the establishment and maintenance of the data files holding the information (email addresses or other) of the members getting the digital copy. Of course some research and decisions would be required about sending the file via email or merely sending a link to a web address where the digital version is stored. A bit of technical analysis and some board decisions would be required to determine the direction and potential value of digital presentation. Maybe if Chris and his cohorts get real bored (like that would ever happen) they could map out a strategy and potential solutions. Sorry Chris.

The more emphasis the club puts on technology (a god thing), the more the board should be considering compensation for the folks who make all this happen for us.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:10 pm

A digital copy of the Vintage Ford may cause me to consider renewing my MTFCA membership. Getting the previous copy when you blokes get the current one is a real turn-off. I can't take advantage of other club offerings, tours etc, so the magazine is really the only way I can be a part of this, other than this forum.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic