Battery Ground

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Battery Ground

Post by paddy1998 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:41 am

This past weekend I was tinkering with some battery problems on my 1983 Chevrolet C20 6.2 Detroit Diesel. I was experiencing some excessive corrosion on one of my batteries and while I was addressing that problem I observed that both batteries ground to the engine block.

It then occurred to me that every car I've ever had was negative ground to the block. Except my Model T, which is ground to the frame by a strap.

Automotive electrics have always been a bit of a mystery to me, but might there be some benefit to running a heavy gauge ground from the negative battery terminal to the engine?

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Battery Ground

Post by Adam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:30 am

The Model T engine mounts conduct electricity.

Major problem with ground straps from the T vendors are the battery end of the strap is not a good connection. They are generally always somewhat loose. They need to be re-worked before installing. Re-swedged in a press and/or soldered.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:07 am

Sometimes the connection from the block to the chassis has corroded over the years. Originally it is grounded through the crankcase ears and through the driveshaft and springs and through the front engine mount. It sometimes helps to connect a ground strap to one of the crankcase bolts near the starter mount directly to the frame at the brake cross shaft connection. scrape the areas where the ends of the cable are fastened and clean completely from paint, grease or rust. That also includes the area where the strap from the battery is connected.
Norm

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Adding a ground strap from the engine block to the frame on a Model T is not a bad idea. I would use an existing hole in the frame, even if it meant using a longer strap/cable. If the engine has a good electrical ground at the upper rear motor mount bolts, it is sufficient. However, wear, dirt, rust, paint, and vibration can cause high electrical resistance, even with the bolts tight. It's also possible that with a poor ground at the engine mounts, the starter current could ground through the U joint, bearings, U joint ball housing, spring shackles, etc, which could cause bearing damage. Adding a ground strap would insure against that possibility and assure full current reaching the starter. It would also help provide full current to the ignition when operating on battery. Starters work better and last longer with full available voltage under load.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:38 pm

AND if you had your frame (or whatever) powder coated then you need to ensure that there is proper continuity to everything. You can still use the frame by attaching grounding wires to it. But its not good enough to rely on a bolt making contact the edges of freshly drilled hole. Scrape the paint off, use a washer, make the connection and then seal it.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:43 pm

If the battery were located next to the engine, then yes, a ground to the block would be fine. However, the idea is to keep the cables as short as possible, so given the location of a T battery, ground to the frame is best.

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:22 pm

We disassembled the entire frame, cleaned the pieces, welded metal back in to where rust once was, primed and painted it black, finally reassembling the frame. When I repaired the battery tray, I realized then that there would be a ground problem for the battery. I thought about doing some stainless steel welds all over and may still do that but for now am using the ground strap plus some other ground straps. I have wire to run a separate ground to the dash/instrument panel because right now the dash is off and will get painted too.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Kerry
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Any engine that has rubber engine mounts would be direct earth strapped, several times over many years have seen a failed earth and a melted choke cable or throttle linkage trying to compensate.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 pm

I saw a case where the choke wire glowed red hot when the starter was cranking. 1960 Chevrolet pickup 6 cylinder 4 speed. Yes, it was hard to start.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 pm

The usual ground strap for a T works as it should, IF................
* It is the correct size for a 6 volt set-up.
* The frame is stripped of paint and rust at the point of attachment.
* The cable terminal is shiny clean.
* The attaching bolt is clean and rust free.
* The bolt is really tightened down.
It also helps to use a star washer between the cable and frame
The same rules apply to the starter switch and the cables to the switch and to the starter.

If you must paint, do it after the above steps have been taken.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:19 am

Agree with Allan and done this with a the short strap from Battery to Chassis as well as one from one of the Starter Motor
bolts to Chassis with both being the large gauge cable. Overkill !!
Alan in Western Australia

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:44 am

Years ago when I was spinning wrenches for a living, a Chevrolet was towed into our shop with a frozen gas pedal. We easily determined that it was the throttle cable that had frozen. We installed a new cable and for kicks and giggles we decided to look and see why the old cable had frozen. We found that the cable had welded itself to the casing. It turned out that the throttle cable was the only thing that was grounding the engine to the chassis, as neither of the two engine ground straps were connected; the heads were cleaner then the rest of the engine, we found that another shop had done a valve job on the engine and had forgotten to reconnect the ground straps. Conclusion? A throttle cable will not handle starter current.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:09 pm

I was lucky when I restored my '25. I found a NOS Ford ground strap. A model A used a similar one but since the post is larger, it won't clamp down on a Model T.

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:28 pm

Modek Ts and Model As use the same battery, a series 1.

Kerry
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:00 pm

That would be right Darel but Larry's NOS model A earth strap would have bigger positive post clamp for + earth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic