Nuts, bolts and screw guidance

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Nuts, bolts and screw guidance

Post by bdtutton » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:43 pm

As I restore my 1914 Model T I have noticed nuts, bolts and screws that are different than they should be, but I am not sure what they should be. Sometimes it is two bolts next to each other that are different and I don't know which one is the correct one....or if either is correct. Sometimes I find missing nuts, bolts and screws and I know I could find something that works, but would like to find a reference so I can figure out what should be there.
Is there some sort of guide that shows exploded views of assemblies that would also include the type of fasteners used?
Thank you...

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Nuts, bolts and screw guidance

Post by CudaMan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:52 pm

Gail Rodda's parts guide volume 1 has a section on the correct bolts and fasteners up through 1914.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/PART-G.aspx
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:08 pm

The beauty of this problem is whatever is considered incorrect down the track, it is easily corrected later on. The best way to get somewhere near to correct is to reference another good original car or one restored from a good original. Then you will still find things that are not 'correct', replace those, and then find there was a transition period when both types are 'correct'. Or, you could ask a purist for his advice, and still be prepared to make adjustments. Let it be a learning curve as you go.

I know this may be of no help.
Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:34 am

The basic question here is "What's correct?" As any car contains dozens of different fasteners, there are dozens of answers. Here's one.

IMG_6088 copy.JPG
Two 3/8" bolts. One is an original Ford bolt, easily recognized by its taller head. The other is a modern bolt from the local farm supply store, adapted because I didn't have enough originals. The adaptation: 1 Drill the cotter pin hole; 2 Grind and buff the modern markings off the head; 3 Strip away the cad plating with muriatic acid because paint will flake off the plating; 4 Prep the stripped bolt with phosphoric acid to etch the surface for paint adhesion; 5 Paint and bake.

This list gives you the sizes of many chassis fasteners, but not all the details. Details? An example would be the ¼-20 carriage bolts holding the coil box to the firewall in my runabout. The head is slightly smaller than on a normal ¼-20 carriage bolt. If you use a normal bolt you have to grind a little flat place on one edge of the head to make it fit.

Bolts_nuts_threaded_items.pdf
(129.63 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
[/size]
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:56 am

I have been collecting original nuts and bolts for years. It is important to me, but not to many, which is a shame. I built a 1925 Ford pickup from the ground up using original bolts. It is a fun part of our hobby.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:27 am

A 14 model probably had water outlet and inlet bolts at the block which had much thicker heads than later ones. There's a start for you.

Allan from down under.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:01 am

Bob Bergstadt almost correctly reproduced the water inlet and outlet bolts. For some reason he always has them threaded up further than the originals. I don't understand why.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:03 pm

Original Smith wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:01 am
Bob Bergstadt almost correctly reproduced the water inlet and outlet bolts. For some reason he always has them threaded up further than the originals. I don't understand why.
Could he possibly be selling the same bolt for another application? I wouldn't make two different bolts just so that something that doesn't show would be "correct?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic