adjusting coils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

adjusting coils

Post by bobt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Hello. I drive my 1915 touring almost daily just around town. I do ok with the mechanical end of all my cars and know a LITTLE about the electric side of an automobile. I would like to maintain and maybe start rebuilding my model T coils. I'm thinking of buying a ECCT. Do you think a person with limited electric experience could learn to use it? I really don't want to go to night school and take an electronics class. Thanks, bobt

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: adjusting coils

Post by TWrenn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:13 pm

From what I've read, eazy-peezy.
But then, I share ownership of an old fashioned HCCT that I found on the forum several years ago. It works for us. Our whole club is free to use it of course.

You may be able to find someone to check it on theirs maybe for a small fee, rather than putting out all the expense for so few times you will use it. Mike is cringing at me now!!

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:17 pm

I have no electronics experience I bought the ECCT with the software. You do not need the software. You need the little hammer and that other piece to adjust coils. The ECCT does most of the rest. Then you just need practice.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 pm

Most important things. A good condenser inside the coil, clean points with proper gap, and set to spark at 1.5 amp. And no shorted or open coils. You can do this with minimum tools.
For the best timing an electronic coil tester or hand cranked tester will help you set these items and also test for a double spark. A single spark gives better timing and hotter spark than a double spark. A good final test is to plug your coil into the coil box of your car and see how it performs.
Norm

dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by dykker5502 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:24 pm

Apart from able to using a soldering iron you need no electronic knowledge to rebuild coils.
The adjusting with ECCT is mechanical - adjust gap size and bend the points to get the right single spark at the right dwell time.
But once the coils are set, you should not need to adjust them again until a long time. It may not be worth it if you could borrow an ECCT or if you where a groups that shared the cost.
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm

Tim, If they start lining up to much at Mike's send them over to me. I have that home built one that I made. Jim
IMG_1465.JPG
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm

There is NO comparison between a HCCT & the ECCT tester in the quality & accuracy. I have used my restored hand cranker for many years. I took my adjusted coils & tested with the ECCT. I was supprised by what the hand cranker didnt show & the needed readjustments. Fortunately, I have access to an ECCT, thru a fellow hobbyist. I use my hand cranker for initial settings only.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:58 pm

I got lucky when years back a local fellow T’r contacted me through the Forum after a post similar to yours. I had already redid a set of coils and was a buzz box guy. Couldn’t believe the change a set of HCCT’d coils made in the car’s performance. No experience with the electronic units but I suppose they are OK too. As to rebuilding coils: very doable. I pop off the small side of the case where the capacitor is and go to town chipping away. Usually leave the glass insulator in place. Solder in the new cap use some wood scraps to fill the space and heat the same tar that came out in a can on the barbecue. Man does it stink. Outside only. I’ve done about 12 or so over the years usually for my own use. Haven’t had the need to buy any tar either but I do it on a tarp and reclaim everything. I never check the old caps I just replace them. Order your caps & points Before you start work. I could go on. As to the HCCT or whatever: I would really try to find someone nearby that has one before spending any $. Big investment.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Jeff5015
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Schroeder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50300
MTFCI Number: 87
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Jeff5015 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:34 pm

I strongly recommend the software option for the ECCT. With it you can test the performance of a coil 100 sparks at 400 rpm or 400 sparks at 100 rpm. You just plug in the numbers and press go.

I tested all four of mine 100 clicks each at 200, 400, 800 & 1600 rpm.
All four coils are tuned to match each other and there is an incredible difference in engine performance.

It is a great tool, well worth the money.

Jeff
1916 Touring

KirkieP
First Name: Kirk
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 345
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 141
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by KirkieP » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Initially I purchased just the ECCT without the software. When I purchased the software, it made adjusting the coils easier and more precise. Later I got the Mag software. I would recommend purchasing all software. I have 2 I timers. They are fantastic and very cost effective.
Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe NM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic