ModelTCoils.com

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Erik Larson - Idaho
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Larson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Roadster Pickup, 1923 Touring, 1927 TT, 1914 Touring, 1926 TT C cab, 1924 Fordson F
MTFCA Number: 49553

ModelTCoils.com

Post by Erik Larson - Idaho » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Friends,

My youngest son, who was off at college, got sick in early April and was diagnosed with leukemia. It's been nearly two months since the diagnosis, although it feels like a year. This has been nothing short of a nightmare for us (and continues to be). He spent 5 weeks at a cancer specialty hospital in Pittsburgh, Pa, and is now back home in Idaho getting outpatient chemotherapy 4-5 times per week. So, this is what we do now ... not much else.

I'm telling you this because I am still getting emails and phone calls regarding new coil orders. I always prided myself in good customer service, so NOT returning messages goes against my nature. I apologize for not getting back to you, but I'm sure you can understand why.

I am uncertain as to the future of ModelTCoils.com. I might sell it, or I might resume in 6 months or so. I don't know. It just depends on how things go.

Be well everyone,
Erik Larson
ModelTCoils.com

KirkieP
First Name: Kirk
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 345
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 141
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: ModelTCoils.com

Post by KirkieP » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Eric
Your boy and your family are in my prayers.
Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe NM

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 am

Erik,
So sorry to hear about your son and the reality that brings to you and your family. I hope and best for all involved. I don't think you will ever regret stepping back to serve your family.

Wow what an amazing website! I have seen you website before and looked at again just now. It has quality written all over it. Even though I have never had you work on anything I can only imagine you do an amazing job.

Thanks for sharing and allow the rest of us to be informed share encouragement your way.

Matt

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 am

Prayers to you and your son. The orders can wait. He's far more important and precious. God bless him.

Don D
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don D » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 am

Erik,

Thank you for keeping all of us who were up in airplane safe in your past role as an air traffic controller. Know you and your family will be in my prayers. If you feel comfortable sharing your son's complete address, I would like to send an encouragement card in the mail to him. I am sure there are others who would respond in kind, if you feel this would lift his spirits knowing there are so many supporting him.

God bless,

Dom

Steve Hughes
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Hughes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1921 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 216
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23070

Post by Steve Hughes » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:16 am

So sorry for all you are going through. You should be able to create an auto response for emails, and change voice mail message that you are not taking orders at this time. Also put a prominent note on your website to that effect as well. This will keep your customer response quick while you work through the next few months.

Chuck Regan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 50122
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chuck Regan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm

Erik - so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers are with your son for full recovery.
Best regards,

Chuck

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 pm

So sad to hear of this. All of us in the model T community and especially this forum, are like family. We feel for you and all you must deal with.

Leukemia used to be a death sentence. A good friend of mine lost his son to it almost 45 years ago. However, in recent decades, great strides have been taken, and real treatments have been developed that have changed that prognosis. Many people today with leukemia go on to live long and full lives! I have met several people with it that have been since declared 'cancer-free'. Still, I think back to what my friend and his family went through.

Do what you must. Comfort your son, and others in your family that need it. The model T will wait.

Brent Mize
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Mize
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout 1927 Sport Touring
MTFCA Number: 10000

Post by Brent Mize » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:09 am

Eric,
So sorry to hear this. It’s so sad when young people suffer such a serious illness.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
May your son have a full recovery.
Brent & Nancy Mize

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:51 am

Erik,
I lost my best friend to leukemia back in the '90s and three years later I lost my only son to some other medical issue. I certainly do not wish this on you or anyone else, the nightmare, the feeling like you are a primary caregiver in your own home. Model Ts are definitely not the most important thing in life, nor much else, just God and your family. No excuses or apologies are necessary for your business situation because your priorities are in the right place. I do appreciate you sharing so know that my prayer is in your direction.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic