T with the most Leg room for Tall drivers

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Model T Ron
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Bakow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Model T Touring
MTFCI Number: 25350

T with the most Leg room for Tall drivers

Post by Model T Ron » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:34 pm

Hey Guys
I was able to get myself behind the wheel of a 1915 Touring car thanks to a member on hear and it was just a bit to tight for my 6'3'' frame. Do any years/styles have more driver leg room for us tall guys? I know my 29 Phaeton has thinner seat back springs, I do not have a ton of room in the 29 but it's comfortable for me to drive.....can thinner springs be ordered for the T as well?

I love the historical significance of the Model T and if I can get one to be comfortable I will buy one.

Thanks
Ron

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Re: T with the most Leg room for Tall drivers

Post by kelly mt » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:54 pm

I have four T's and the TT is the tightest fit, Roadster is pretty tight so for big guys the Tudor or Speedster would have the most room. I'm not a big guy.

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:07 pm

I would think you could build a speedster to fit. Would that work, or do you want an original car? Bill

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm

To me they are generally the same as far as the cars go but never tried a TT. I am 6’3”.
I have a 24 Coupe, 1919 Runabout and a 21 Touring. My Coupe has the front windshield shade like most closed cars do and I sort of look under the shade to see a bit better.
But interior wise they are pretty much identical to me. I have to scrunch up a bit but you can use to it. Comfort wasn’t one of Ford’s better ideas! Get use to that if your a tall guy.
The front seat can’t be altered for much more room to make much difference than maybe an inch or two. It is what it is.
The 2dr sedan has different ways to move the front seat back some but not much either.
The Ford T service manual has a small section of moving back the front seat on the ‘improved cars’ so called for the 26-27 Model years. It was a minor improvement but———- :D

Topic author
Model T Ron

Post by Model T Ron » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 pm

It's Bill wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:07 pm
I would think you could build a speedster to fit. Would that work, or do you want an original car? Bill
Building a speedster may be an option but I do have a soft spot for having an original car. I am ok with minor mods to make the car more drivable but I would like to have one that looks original. Anyone move the seat back on a Touring Car? They have lots of room in the back that could be had if it's possible.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:23 pm

From building custom Speedster's and in even other T's. I put a very low profile adjustable seat track system. Great selling point. Anything is doable even on the fix seat models. Even adjustable (telescopic) steering columns that overlap the steering tube.

Just Sayin'

Hank

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 pm

For a quick reference to determine leg room in any Model T, look at the distance back from the starter switch to the seat base. Every Model T has the starter switch in the exact same spot but if you compare body styles and years there are several differences in the distance from the switch to the seat base. The roomiest bodies by far are the suicide door coupes (17-mid '23) as they have no package tray and the seat is close to 4" farther back than a '24-25 Coupe that has a package tray behind the seat. The next roomiest are the '26-'27 Coupes as the seats are further back since the actual body is longer (compare the door width to the '24-24 Coupes).

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 pm

The car has coil springs. You could remove the cover and padding, then, tie the coils to shorten them. You could probably get about an inch or two by doing that. Then take out some of the padding. That would move it back a bit more.
I have a friend who has a 27 touring, and he actually altered the seat back to lean back a bit more than the original. Another friend who is very tall has raised his top a bit so he actually looks over the top of the windshield. Anyway, you must do whatever fits you.
Norm

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:51 pm

Most spacious T I ever sat in was a 1911 Torpedo. I'm 6'4" and too fat. :)

Topic author
Model T Ron

Post by Model T Ron » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:54 pm

Bruce Compton wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 pm
For a quick reference to determine leg room in any Model T, look at the distance back from the starter switch to the seat base. Every Model T has the starter switch in the exact same spot but if you compare body styles and years there are several differences in the distance from the switch to the seat base. The roomiest bodies by far are the suicide door coupes (17-mid '23) as they have no package tray and the seat is close to 4" farther back than a '24-25 Coupe that has a package tray behind the seat. The next roomiest are the '26-'27 Coupes as the seats are further back since the actual body is longer (compare the door width to the '24-24 Coupes).
Thanks Bruce
I never considered Coupe as I like open cars. Is to possible to move the front seat back in a Touring car? Has anyone on hear did this mod to a touring car?

Ron

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:01 pm

The touring car seat backs are not moveable. They are built into the body, and right up against the back door. You would probably have to extend the panel between the doors, or extend the doors themselves a couple inches. Now the body doesn’t fit the frame... yada yada yada...🙄

I’m 6’4” and feel like the brass cars are the best fit. The later black cars have dashes that cause the dreaded knee interference, and the improved cars (‘26-‘27) are tighter still. I had a ‘27 roadster and modified the seat wood, tied down the springs, and used a horse blanket for upholstery... and still didn’t fit in the car. My ‘15 touring is roomy... but I find the posture uncomfortable. But the speedster however... is down right comfy! Cuz I made it fit me😉

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:10 pm

6’ 2”. The ‘27 Tudor was a much tighter fit than the ‘23 Touring. Even just getting in seemed a chore.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

JohnH
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm

I'm 6'2" and my 26 tourer fits me perfectly. Come to think of it, for all the other T's I've driven, the only ones I've had problems with is where someone has modified the seat.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:29 pm

I have read that the early teens open cars are the least cramped, but Model T's in general are not roomy without modifications. A hundred years ago and more, people were generally smaller than today. There were notable exceptions like General Shafter, Presidents Lincoln and Taft, Roscoe Arbuckle, etc., but on average folks were considerably smaller in both height and width than we are today. Even so, at 6'1" I don't feel uncomfortable in my 1915 runabout or my 1923 touring, especially since I quit being fat eight years ago. I have done some trips in the 1915 where I sometimes drove all day, and I didn't suffer.

If you are able, go to an event where there are Model T's of many years and body styles, and ask to try them on for fit. I think most folks would be perfectly willing to have you try their cars for size.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Model T Ron

Post by Model T Ron » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:09 am

Bruce Compton wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 pm
This is some good info for new guy like me. I started this search thinking open car but I am now open to anything that would make a good driver for a tall guy like myself. Would a 22 Coupe have more leg room than a Tudor? I could be wrong but could the front seat in a Tudor be moved back 4 or 5 inches? If so this my be what I need to find. Thanks for all the comments.

Ron

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:37 am

I’m 6’5” and love the leg room in the 1910 Tourer compared to the 26 Roadster Pickup but both give a greater
sense of freedom with the top down.
Some C Cabs are also great. Unfortunately, the WW2 Ford Jeep drivers seat won’t go back far enough for me and
is the sole reason why I don’t have one!
Alan in Western Australia

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:17 am

26-27 Tudor. The seats seem a bit further back.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 am

A coupe will NOT solve your room problem.
An early car should, especially a '12-'14, and by far, an '11 Torpedo WILL! I am a measly 5'6", and I finally ended up securing a 2x2 block of wood to the low pedal in order for me to "make the reach" and even with that I'm still stretched to the max, but not nearly as bad as prior to that.

WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by WayneJ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:11 am

Back in the day, a lot of Model Ts were sold by Ford as bare chassis, so the owner could purchase his own body to fit his needs. You may wish to research obtaining a bare chassis and then installing an open express pickup body. Here is an example sold by Langs
20210612_075504.jpg
It is not just how far back the seat is, but also how high the seat is that will determine how well the car will fit you. An express pick up body can be had either open or closed, could be purchased, or self made, and dimensions altered to fit your needs, and at the same time be period correct.

In the example shown above, the seat cushion could be made higher, the padding on the backrest narrower, to better fit you. A customized windshield and roadster top could accommodate you further, while still looking period correct. Here is a period photo of a pickup made from a roadster, compare to the body shown above:
5AA80336-CA88-4208-B270-D0B0F5861C94.jpeg-1.jpg
5AA80336-CA88-4208-B270-D0B0F5861C94.jpeg-1.jpg (66.94 KiB) Viewed 3500 times

Good luck, and have fun.
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

Piewagon
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout, 1911 Touring, 1912 Delivery Cars (2), 1915 Roadster, 1916 Roadster, 1923 Touring Car
MTFCA Number: 14725
MTFCI Number: 77
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Piewagon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am

Please DO SIT in a 1911 Torpedo Roadster or a 1911 Open Runabout. They have the seat and dash set about 2" back but the frame is the same as used on all T's so you get 2" of extra leg room and your behind is setting further back to start with since the whole body is set back. Find the nearest of these 2 cars geographically and ask the owner to let you sit it the car. They are not the cheapest car you will find but an Open runabout is not a difficult body to locate and there are body makers that can make the Open Runabout somewhat inexpensively since it has no doors or hinges to mess with.
Last edited by Piewagon on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:56 am

It is difficult for one person to compare with another parson for comfort in sitting. Example, Two 6'3" men. Standing side by side, they are the same height, but sitting on a bench, one is taller than the other! You see, some people have a long torso and shorter legs and others have long legs and a short torso, so each person has to try out the car for himself to find the most comfortable one.
Norm

Topic author
Model T Ron

Post by Model T Ron » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm

Piewagon wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am
Please DO SIT in a 1911 Torpedo Roadster or a 1911 Open Runabout. They have the seat and dash set about 2" back but the frame is the same as used on all T's so you get 2" of extra leg room and your behind is setting further back to start with since the whole body is set back. Find the nearest of these 2 cars geographically and ask the owner to let you sit it the car. They are not the cheapest car you will find but an Open runabout is not a difficult body to locate and there are body makers that can make the Open Runabout somewhat inexpensively since it has no doors or hinges to mess with.
A 1911 Torpedo would be an amazing car to have and it would solve my leg room issue. The problem is that I could never afford something that is 35k and north. How hard would it be to move the seat in a Runabout or a Tudor?

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:44 am

I recently purchased a 25 coupe. I wanted an all weather car, my others are open. At first glance my wife said are we going to fit into the coupe? We have more room than any of my others. That includes butt, shoulder, and leg.

Topic author
Model T Ron

Post by Model T Ron » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:21 pm

DickC wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:44 am
I recently purchased a 25 coupe. I wanted an all weather car, my others are open. At first glance my wife said are we going to fit into the coupe? We have more room than any of my others. That includes butt, shoulder, and leg.
Are you talking about the Doctors Coupe? From what I understand the pre 23 Coupes had even more room.

Also I think the 26 and 27 Tudor has front seats that flip forward to let the people in the back seat. If that's the case I think you can extend the mounting points to give more leg room. Anyone do this with a 26 or 27 Tudor?

Ron

Topic author
Model T Ron

Post by Model T Ron » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 am

Take a look at the link below. It looks like you can move the front seats of the 26 27 Tudor back as far as necessary. I think around 6'' will work nicely for myself. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Ron

https://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/4 ... 1400200545

John_Aldrich
Last Name: Aldrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915, 1923. 1927

Post by John_Aldrich » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:55 pm

My 27 touring has the most leg room for me and I've driven a 15 pickup, 23 Roadster, 26 Tudor and a Dr Coupe which was the worst.

I'm 6' 1"
John Aldrich
Typical Model T Addict

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:58 pm

How about shortening the steering column. I have seen it done and it leaves more "belly room"
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic