Purpose of Tiny Spring on Bendix (5021PS)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Purpose of Tiny Spring on Bendix (5021PS)

Post by OilyBill » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Can anyone explain to me what the purpose is of the 5021 PS spring on the Bendix starter assembly? What does it do? What is the best way to install it?
What cautions are there regarding it's installation?
This is the tiny spring that installs crosswise in the 5021G gear cup, that spins on the Bendix assembly. It is visible on the Vowell Art drawing of the Bendix assembly.
Thanks very much!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Purpose of Tiny Spring on Bendix (5021PS)

Post by speedytinc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:53 pm

the pin/spring keeps the bendix from vibrating forward & hitting ring gear when running. Very important. It rests in that undercut back area. The pin rides on TOP of one of the threads. If they were together initially the will go back correctly. To install, the nose bearing has to be unscrewed. Undo The 2 pricks locking it. Pin punch thru the 2 holes. Unscrew it (Hard part) by gripping without damaging it. I have a special 2 piece block to lock on to it & unscrew the bendix body.

Topic author
OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks very much!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Three tips Bill.
To remove the endpiece I use two self tapping screws cut off just under the head, leaving the stem about as long as the holes in the end piece are deep. These are inserted in the holes in the side and the endpiece held in a vice, not on the screw heads, with soft alloy jaws. With the bendix spring bolt in place, I use a crescent wrench to turn the drive piece. The screw heads keep the endpiece from turning as they engage against the alloy vice jaws. I have not found it necessary to do any work on the upsets which hold the piece in place. They will be over-ridden as the piece winds off.

Be very careful fitting the pin/spring. The pin is spring loaded, and can fly anywhere if you are not spot on as you install it.

I kiss the back end of the endpiece on my linisher belt before re-fitting it. That allows it to butt up in a slightly different position on the drive piece, and this gives you a fresh spot to punch on to retain it. A dab of loctite is insurance.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic