Problems Installing Top Bows

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Problems Installing Top Bows

Post by RustyFords » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:29 pm

I’m installing the top bows on my 24 Touring for the first time…without any straps or anything tying them together…in preparation for the installation of the straps/pads/top.

I’m finding it to be near impossible to get the bows erected.

Should I tie them together first with some twine that mimics the length of the straps?
Attachments
13E65AE4-00D9-430D-9892-E9E91B879E38.jpeg
1924 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Problems Installing Top Bows

Post by Allan » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Don, I use thin timber laths to hold them where I want them. The first two hold the rear bow at the correct height and distance beyond the back panel. Then two more full length ones are tacked under the bows, from that fixed back one to the fixed one at the windscreen. Then I can set the intermediate bows in their correct positions and tack the laths to them. With the laths tacked on the underside, it leaves the topside free to fit any fabric straps and the side bags.
This means you are not relying on the straps/bags to position the bows. The timbers do the job, FIXING the bows in place.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:30 pm

Tie a string to your headlight bar, and stretch it over the windshield and once around each bow. Then follow Allan's suggestion with lathing strips tacked or clamped to the bows. Leave all this in place while you attach your top. If i recall correctly you get the rear curtain in place and tacked down. Then proceed toward the front. I sewed the bow drill on the two middle bows and did not use tacks. It is pretty simple to do and no worry ever that a tack will work its way through the top. This is what Vince Iaccino stated on his video. it is just a needle and thread so no one is ever going to see your handiwork. Black thread on black fabric.

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Several ratchet straps work well also.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:06 pm

With the one man top, it is much easier to get the bows set up than with a two man top. Most important thing is to get the rear bow the correct height from the back of the body. The web strap can be tacked in place between the back bow and the tack strip on the back rest. It is important to get this distance correct on both sides. Everything else will be easy to line up after the back bow is properly placed. The front bow of course is fixed to the windshield post by the clamps. The other bows will automatically line up.
A very important thing about the height of the rear bow. It is very important to have the correct distance from the tack strip, not height above the ground. This is because if the car sags on one side and you measure from the ground, it will always look crooked even when the car is level.
Norm

JRSpada4
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Spadafore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49891
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by JRSpada4 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am

I used 2” spring clamps to hold the straps to the bows to set the height of the bows. They allowed for easy adjustments until I was ready to tack them in place.

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:45 pm

Thank you for all the input....it is sincerely appreciated.
1924 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic