Our little Swap Meet (Idaho Falls)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Our little Swap Meet (Idaho Falls)

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:14 pm

While I've never been to the big swap meets we've gone to small ones in Utah, Montana and Idaho for half a century. I support our local one that we have done for 42 years now. We couldn't hold it last year because of Covid so some were more than ready this year. The air becomes electrically charged with each old car nut's excitement of visiting others with the same intense interest in the hobby. Telling of the latest project or acquisition and realizing "I'm not the only one crazy about these cars" makes for terrific conversations. Wonderful things emerge some we haven't ever seen before.
IFswpmt1.jpg
Cars from a 1903 Rambler to street rods, rat rods or anything on wheels are welcome to come and park in the Show for as long as they like at no charge. If you don't see something you like, you just don't like cars.
IFswpmt4.jpg
Of particular interest to me was a 1925 T Tudor barn find that showed up. There were details in it I could only imagine when I built mine 20 some years ago. The seller was looking for a mighty nice price and I doubt I could get that out of my restored one but what a treat to look at. The 3 bodies I built mine from had the lower 3 or 4 inches eroded away so seeing original floor boards and hardware was amazing.
IFswpmt2.jpg
Another treat was a 1928 Lincoln that appeared at mid day. Original lacquer checked paint like so many in the Ford Museum covered the outside while original upholstery with all the trim and details was inside.
IFswpmt3.jpg
It was so great to visit with old friends that are still around. Many we only see at this meet. Many are no longer around. Though it gets harder to put this meet on and drag out the parts and equipment to make this happen it certainly is satisfying and recharges our battery to at least think about the new possibilities and work to be done. The comradery yielded some new members and I visited with some youngsters who had the glazed look and the the potential to become inflicted with the bug.
When did I do that?

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Our little Swap Meet (Idaho Falls)

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:51 pm

Along with finding the Tudor details long after I could have used them were some top irons and door latches that I could have used on my 1914 Touring 4 years ago. I collected parts for a '14 for many years but as I didn't have enough to start the project I let many things go to others who needed them. I had original door latches twice and let them go. To finish mine I had to make some from later latches that looked more correct (different handles). You may remember my reconstruction of the top irons.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1509727571
IFswpmt5.jpg
These latches and irons I helped a friend get for his '15. He passed away 2 years ago. I bought them yesterday from a fellow who rescued them from the estate. While it's a little late I can upgrade my '14 or start another project.
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic