Winged Pyramid cancelled by Henry due to misspelling

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Winged Pyramid cancelled by Henry due to misspelling

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Often wondered why Henry Ford got so upset with the use of the famous Universal Car Winged Pyramid logo.

It was a rather nice logo, and used for many years until Henry, according to legend, found that the winged part of the logo was a scarab bug, a type of dung beetle. Now that is likely so, as the dung beetle is a rather poor insect as it feeds on such waste.

But if you really look at the symbol of the Ford winged pyramid, it is only the wings and the wide tail, that tail where the Universal Car is added.

My believe is the basis for the design is the beautiful wings of the Sacred Ibis bird, not the wings of the scarab bug. (As a side note, both the bird and the bug were respected in Ancient Egypt).

Image 4-9-21 at 3.07 PM.jpeg
Image 4-9-21 at 3.07 PM.jpeg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
The below advertisement notes the wings are lightness and grace, and that the word ibis is indeed stated. Unfortunately the proper title is misspelled to read SCARAB instead of SACRED.

Winged pyramid adv. .jpg
Winged pyramid adv. .jpg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 4591 times

Here is an advertisement by Timken, and show of course the Scarab beetle and its wings, which are very different from the Ford logo. Perhaps others showed this to Henry and that got the confusion going..... well, alas, it's now lost to history.

Sacreb art Image .jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

John Heaman
First Name: John
Last Name: Heaman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Canadian 1912 Ford Model T Touring

Re: Winged Pyramid cancelled by Henry due to misspelling

Post by John Heaman » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Who doesn't love a dung beetle!?!

427BA46E-8596-4B4D-928B-4A390E3003CE_1_201_a.jpeg
I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can’t put it down. :lol:

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:19 pm

The Ford article doesn’t read either “Sacred” nor “Scarab”... but instead reads “Sacreb”...? Pretty clear to me that this would be a typo. And a shame to think that a simple mistake could have caused the logo change

It is interesting tho, that Timken chose to adopt the Scarab beetle into their logo... as dung beetles are naturally excellent at making balls to ease transportation efforts. The perfect mascot for a company the produces ball bearings 😉

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:42 pm

While I am in total agreement with the typo explanation (Sacreb vs Sacred) I believe that the artist, Willis, may have been influenced by either the Art Nouveau style (1890-1910) or some early emergence (1912) of the Art Deco Movement (1920-1930's). Egyptian designs were highly decorative, and this was a huge influence on the Art Deco movement that used decorative patterns and design elements. I stumbled across a picture of a Scarab Beetle pendent and slight modifications it can be made Art Deco. Point being, yes the logo idea is of the Sacred Ibis and Pyramid but the designer may have stylized it after the pendent.
ibis.png
Attachments
chry.png
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:56 pm

Two comments: IMHO the Chrysler building is the most beautiful skyscraper ever built (the Empire State Building is a close second), and if you have any extra Dung Beetles send them here - we have a 90 by 180 foot fenced area for our two big dogs. We can use all the help that we can get. My favorite bug.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:48 am

The winged pyramid is a damn sight better looking than that blue oval !
More people are doing it today than ever before !

John Heaman

Post by John Heaman » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:37 am

F0FAFCC5-6E3F-4546-BADD-881D4CBC5F62_1_201_a.jpeg

John Heaman

Post by John Heaman » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:35 am

Is this a legitimate document? The last line is interesting.

...'burn the story of the Ford into the somewhat fickle mind of the buying public.'

4FBF324C-7D32-46F6-A910-71C4CDA40009.jpeg
4FBF324C-7D32-46F6-A910-71C4CDA40009.jpeg (144.63 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
Last edited by John Heaman on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:39 am

Thanks, Dan, for that explanation. It makes more sense than the one which has been floating around forever. And I agree with Burger.

TheMoneyPit
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wetherbee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor Sedan

Post by TheMoneyPit » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:39 pm

I’ve only shared this with one good Ford friend and I swore him to secrecy at the time because it was part of my father’s estate and I didn’t have it in hand at the time so I couldn’t verify the makers marks… I finally have it back so here’s the background:

It was purchased at Hershey from John Webster in the early 1980’s, John was a very active dealer in radiator emblems and he also did restoration work. At the time I bought it he had absolutely no explanation for its existence as Ford didn’t have an emblem this early. Even the winged pyramid pins and fobs were being made well after this would have been. It became a Christmas gift for my father Sherman Wetherbee because he collected almost singularly Ford items, my mother needed a gift for him and guilted me into letting her give it to dad. So now it’s been buried away from view for nearly 40 years and my memory of it was a little fuzzy until now.

I am 100% certain that this is a very early version of the winged pyramid as it is well marked by a very early maker of automotive emblems (Shepard Mfg. Co. of Melrose Massachusetts).

My opinion is it matches the scarab wings of the Timken ad above, but arguments could go either way…

Any comments are appreciated, especially if anyone knows of another!
Attachments
312D063B-A25F-4C78-BD95-259B5FF8DF8D.jpeg
There is no such thing as a “free” lunch... :D

Topic author
DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:21 pm

Interesting is that cloisonne or enameled pin. Is the makers mark an "S' or does that mfg name marked in full? Might be a reproduction piece.

Most of the Model T era watch fobs and pins have the normal looking Ford Winged Pyramid.

TWigned watch fob.jpg
Which matches the Ford print on products , inserts or advertising of the day.
69yu9.jpg
608404.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 pm

Don't beetle wings have a vein-like structure? The various Ford pyramid/wing design patterns suggest a feathered bird's wing to me... perhaps a quail or eagle.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:52 pm

IMHO the Chrysler building is the most beautiful skyscraper ever built...

richfieldbuildingatnightpc.jpg
Richfield Building.png
I've always thought the black and gold Richfield Building was pretty attractive.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TheMoneyPit

Post by TheMoneyPit » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:17 am

DanTreace wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:21 pm
Interesting is that cloisonne or enameled pin. Is the makers mark an "S' or does that mfg name marked in full? Might be a reproduction piece.

Absolutely 100% genuine, it has the makers mark in full as is described here:

http://www.americanautoemblems.com/p/em ... marks.html

It’s also much larger than any other pin I have yet found…
Attachments
CC979B57-DD39-4686-AA22-A5D4522496B5.jpeg

Topic author
DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:39 am

TheMoneyPit wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:17 am
Thanks, that's a well done site of auto emblems, and noted the same pin you have is also on that site. That mfg. went out of business in 1923 and products were silver spoons, collector type with state emblems, and other trinkets. So if that may be another one, just like yours.

The section on that website on Ford does have an error, the author of that site missed this one, and falsely called it original.

It shows one-half of a Garford truck brass script radiator emblem and calls it a 'rare' 1905-06 Ford Model K radiator emblem. That is incorrect as noted in this photo of Garford emblem. The 'Ga' was cut away leaving the funny scrip rford.

52C05226-B4C1-45D1-8ED1-217A77938E99_1_201_a.jpeg

Intact Garford script radiator emblem
262397.jpg
EAF18B7E-DBD3-47E9-9FE1-549250D18E87_4_5005_c.jpeg
EAF18B7E-DBD3-47E9-9FE1-549250D18E87_4_5005_c.jpeg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 3429 times

TheMoneyPit

Post by TheMoneyPit » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:14 pm

Good catch on the Garford script error, I will let Mike know about the error. It’s funny, but until you mentioned he had the same emblem listed I didn’t know it was there. It’s interesting to see another one even though I still wish there was some information on it!

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 pm

That "Garford" / 'ford' script error has been known about for fifty years! It shouldn't still be presented as fact by anyone.
Fifty years ago, I happened to know (through a close friend and neighbor with a 1915 Studebaker) one of the 'West of the Mississippi" ultimate Studebaker experts. He at that time owned the remains of one of the few remaining Garford automobiles. The Garford was connected with Studebaker before EMF and before Studebaker was building gasoline powered automobiles (they were building some electric automobiles). Unfortunately, my Garford friend died much too young about thirty years ago. And I don't know what became of his Garford's remains. That said, we had talked about the cut Garford scripts at swap meets where both cut and uncut Garford scripts were often found fifty years ago. He showed many people as well as myself what they were. In those days, it wasn't uncommon to see early model Ts with the cut Garford script on them. Model T hobbyists at the time thought they were "different" and "cute" (I thought they were unauthentic! But I was a disagreeable sort even in those days!).

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, a few people reproduced hundreds of early automobile brass scripts. Even though only three Garfords (including his!) were known to exist at that time, they must have cut out a thousand of the Garford scripts! I went to swap meets where eight or ten different people would have them for sale. Often, at least one person would have a small stack of the silly things! I saw a fellow at a swap meet once that had at least a dozen of them!

That anyone today, in the hobbies, with any real knowledge of horseless carriage era scripts, logos, names, or badges, could 'think' those were genuine Ford or in any way rare? Is ridiculous!
Sorry. But it would make me question anything published on such a website.

I suppose that I should add, that I also do recall reading a mention in a book published back in the 1950s showing a photo of a Ford with a cut Garford script on it. Ironically, just last night in response to a query on another forum, I cautioned about the errors in books published so many years ago while also extolling the virtues of reading those older books (beyond the errors, is a lot of wonderful information!). Still, a single erroneous mention in a book more than sixty years ago should not be leading any serious collector today down that particular garden path.

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:22 am

This topic has been an interesting read. I have always loved the ford winged Pyramid and think it has much more character than the later blue oval.
My sign writer has just hand brushed it on the side of my 1916 Pickup. I am pleased to be able to display a bit of early ford history on the side of my T.
Attachments
IMG_20210801_122519.jpg

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:04 am

Warwick L said "I have always loved the Ford winged Pyramid and think it has much more character than the later blue oval."
I quite agree with the winged pyramid having more character, and I have also liked it very much as a symbol of the early Ford Motor Company. If I ever get to finish one of my current project cars, it may also get decorated with a winged pyramid.
Not often realized, the Ford oval actually does date back to the very early model T days! Rob Heyen did quite a piece on this a couple years ago. If I recall correctly, a few early blue ovals do exist?

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:05 am

Thanks for your comment Wayne. I thought the ford blue oval only came came about in the Model a era. Can you point me in the direction of Robs research/article? I am interested to learn more of the use of the Ford name and logos of the era.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Warwick L, So far, I haven't found the thread I recall. I did however find this one with a photo and some discussion in it,

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1496982990

TRDxB2
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:04 pm

You need to scroll down this link to get an explanation of the transition from one to another. They explain the history of each image
https://logos-world.net/ford-logo/
Attachments
oval2.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John Heaman

Post by John Heaman » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:20 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 pm
Don't beetle wings have a vein-like structure?

Yes they do!

7C094A41-D171-4971-B79B-3DC6135BE815_1_201_a.jpeg

F16EB910-C36F-4BC2-8828-932D4C11CF32.jpeg
9EE122A7-78F1-4519-A25E-5C017579C005.jpeg
9EE122A7-78F1-4519-A25E-5C017579C005.jpeg (76.36 KiB) Viewed 3062 times

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:33 pm

It's pretty clear that Ancient Egyptians and beetles are Aliens! ( But which came first?)

John Heaman

Post by John Heaman » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:33 pm
It's pretty clear that Ancient Egyptians and beetles are Aliens! ( But which came first?)

T enthusiasts have wondered that for years!

AC4E40C6-B704-4E19-B464-38E2431199B1_1_201_a.jpeg
57E3E1F5-2D83-42D3-840B-D857D249C0E8_4_5005_c.jpeg
57E3E1F5-2D83-42D3-840B-D857D249C0E8_4_5005_c.jpeg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 3039 times

Sarikatime
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:15 am

Egyptian scarab sold in Egyptian markets.
Attachments
640BDDFD-CA89-4B12-BCB0-0E2623ABF006.jpeg
336FA405-5DD0-4242-B952-50CE4C249FF3.jpeg

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:54 am

DanTreace wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:39 am
TheMoneyPit wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:17 am
Thanks, that's a well done site of auto emblems, and noted the same pin you have is also on that site. That mfg. went out of business in 1923 and products were silver spoons, collector type with state emblems, and other trinkets. So if that may be another one, just like yours.

The section on that website on Ford does have an error, the author of that site missed this one, and falsely called it original.

It shows one-half of a Garford truck brass script radiator emblem and calls it a 'rare' 1905-06 Ford Model K radiator emblem. That is incorrect as noted in this photo of Garford emblem. The 'Ga' was cut away leaving the funny scrip rford.

52C05226-B4C1-45D1-8ED1-217A77938E99_1_201_a.jpeg

Intact Garford script radiator emblem

262397.jpg

EAF18B7E-DBD3-47E9-9FE1-549250D18E87_4_5005_c.jpeg
I emailed Mke last evening and received a reply from him indicating he has made appropriate changes to the website. As stated on that site, he welcomes any additional information and is always glad to learn from others about emblems. I know he and his son Murray have traveled the world to photograph, research, and collect emblems. They have amassed what must be one of the finest resources existing, and their willingness to share what they have learned (and continue to learn) is commendable.
Terry

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:54 am

Scarab? Or saucer replica???

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:14 pm

I have no problem with the blue oval. I'm reasonably certain that it was an economy measure (as compared to the winged trademark). In printing during the letterpress era, simpler was better. Today it wouldn't make any significant difference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic