New Updated Forum Rule

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Larry Azevedo
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12
MTFCA Number: 5073
MTFCA Life Member: YES

New Updated Forum Rule

Post by Larry Azevedo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:44 pm

During the MTFCA Board meeting in Spokane last week we discussed some proposed changes to the current rules. The current rules in the 'Other Items' section state the following:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You or another poster can endorse and describe your product when applicable to a posted question. Exchange of technical information is encouraged.

Business advertisements are not allowed, the Classified Section should be used for these advertisements.

In a response you can refer to your website or ask a poster to email or send a private message.

Making derogatory remarks about a competitor, a competitor’s products or other products is not allowed and will result in loss of your forum use privileges."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes, during technical discussions, products are mentioned in the context of the thread and the board felt that we should allow more flexibility in discussion of a product or service. With this in mind we have established the following changes:

New 'Other Items' section:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exchange of technical information is encouraged. If you have a Model T product, you may post a description, merits of use, theory of operation, design challenges, answer application questions and provide guidance for safe and proper use.

Product availability, sales, special offers, purchase negotiations and orders are strictly prohibited on the discussion forum. In a response to purchase inquires, you can refer a poster to your website or ask them to contact you via email or private message. The Classified Section should be used for pure business advertisements.

Making derogatory remarks about a competitor, a competitor’s products or other products is not allowed and may result in disciplinary action up to and including loss of your forum use privileges.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The board of directors believe that this will provide more flexibility in the forum discussions.
The new rule is effective immediately and will appear soon on the published rules section of the forum.

Larry Azevedo
MTFCA President

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: New Updated Forum Rule

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 pm

Larry, you might have Chris or Jeff pin this to the top for a while.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:42 am

Larry,

For clarity, what is the position on forum users commenting on product satisfaction ?

This seems like an area that could lead some into trouble.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Don D
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don D » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:58 am

Larry,

First of all, thanks to you and the Board for your service to our members. Earlier this year I posted a safety warning issue after I experienced the separation of the lugs from a wheel rim before the potential loss of the wheel while driving down the road. This was to warn members to check their car regularly to keep them safe.

My concern is some could have interpeted this as being critical of the product or manufacturer. Obviously it should be clear this was not my intent.

While I understand there is a real need to enforce standards of respect and civility in this time of man, please consider more discussion to clarify the policy change about criticism with some examples or generic sample text so there is not the suspension of a member because they do not understand their post could get them bounced out.

Keep up the great work you all do,

Dom

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:01 am

Hmmmm. Rules in search of a problem.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:47 pm

"Making derogatory remarks about a competitor, a competitor’s products or other products is not allowed and will result in loss of your forum use privileges."

We cant point out poor or dangerous reproduction parts? How else does the word get out? Vendors need to be called out for bad parts. How else will changes be made to fix or improve them? They need feed back. Negative & positive. As a point of politeness, I do TRY not to mention vendors directly.

A personal example: I manufactured a part. Sold wholesale to various vendors. That part was counter fitted & made poorly by one of those vendors. A piece can fall off & damage the magneto. Serious stuff. I didnt know this. Their stink rubbed onto me. In defending my product, I must have violated these new rules.
You should not punish a user for the truth. Severely punish for malicious lies.

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 pm

I think they’re saying that if you make Model T headlight lenses, and someone else makes headlight lenses, you shouldn’t be on here talking negatively about your competitor’s products to make yours look better. That’s different than giving honest feedback about a product as a consumer/user.

If you were around the forum for the last few years, you know this happened a few times between folks with competing products and services.

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:58 am

-
"Making derogatory remarks about a competitor, a competitor’s products or other products is not allowed and will result in loss of your forum use privileges."

I like this one Larry. We are a Model T "Club", allies in promoting and preserving our wonderful hobby. Posting or perpetuating a petty squabble here on our Forum should result in that knucklehead(s) being banned. I only wish the Board had also captured "public attacks on other MTFCA members" within this rule's description as well.
-

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm

I am not a manufacturer!!! I have purchased products direct from the manufacturer. A comment appears on the FORUM about the problem a person is having with a product. Does this "NEW RULE' prohibit me from commenting about the pour quality of this product, the poor fit or some other issue that I too have had with this product?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm

DickC wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm
I am not a manufacturer!!! I have purchased products direct from the manufacturer. A comment appears on the FORUM about the problem a person is having with a product. Does this "NEW RULE' prohibit me from commenting about the pour quality of this product, the poor fit or some other issue that I too have had with this product?
Thats the way I read it & why it concerns me. "or other products"

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:15 pm

Larry Azevedo wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:44 pm
During the MTFCA Board meeting in Spokane last week we discussed some proposed changes to the current rules. The current rules in the 'Other Items' section state the following:
"You or another poster can endorse and describe your product when applicable to a posted question. Exchange of technical information is encouraged.

Business advertisements are not allowed, the Classified Section should be used for these advertisements.

In a response you can refer to your website or ask a poster to email or send a private message.

Making derogatory remarks about a competitor, a competitor’s products or other products is not allowed and will result in loss of your forum use privileges."
Sometimes, during technical discussions, products are mentioned in the context of the thread and the board felt that we should allow more flexibility in discussion of a product or service. With this in mind we have established the following changes:

New 'Other Items' section:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exchange of technical information is encouraged. If you have a Model T product, you may post a description, merits of use, theory of operation, design challenges, answer application questions and provide guidance for safe and proper use.

Product availability, sales, special offers, purchase negotiations and orders are strictly prohibited on the discussion forum. In a response to purchase inquires, you can refer a poster to your website or ask them to contact you via email or private message. The Classified Section should be used for pure business advertisements.

Making derogatory remarks about a competitor, a competitor’s products or other products is not allowed and may result in disciplinary action up to and including loss of your forum use privileges.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The board of directors believe that this will provide more flexibility in the forum discussions.
The new rule is effective immediately and will appear soon on the published rules section of the forum.

Larry Azevedo
MTFCA President
speedytinc wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm
DickC wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm
Thats the way I read it & why it concerns me. "or other products"
"You or another poster can endorse and describe your product when applicable to a posted question. Exchange of technical information is encouraged.”

The BOD addressed what it perceives to be an ongoing problem
with posters making contributions regarding products.

It was assumed when the forum was established - folks posting
would not be contributing to discussions with the intent
to defame or discredit their competitors - the BOD felt
it necessary to address this.

This rule should apply equitably to goods & services.

FJ

BA538F5D-6C1D-4920-8B90-C5DF5B53849F.jpeg
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:23 pm

This should work out well for you Jim.

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Does this "NEW RULE" only apply to one who manufactures/supplies a product and NOT a common user? Excuse me for thinking this but this seems to be like some of the media giants controlling what THEY think is appropriate. They then ban the subscriber from the system. I hope we haven"t reached that point in our club activities.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic