Where Can I Find/Buy Good Cotton Bands?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
GEmering
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Emering
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring and 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49671
Board Member Since: 2018

Where Can I Find/Buy Good Cotton Bands?

Post by GEmering » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:24 am

I posted yesterday about changing bands on my ‘ 24 Touring.
The recommendation as a newer driver and someone with marginal mechanical skills was to use cotton.
I’ve read that there have been or possibly still are issues with Scandinavian linings.
Could someone recommend a supplier?
I see Lang’s sells sets but are they the good quality ones?

As always, thank you so much for the help!
Gene
Gene Emering
Newton, New Jersey

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Where Can I Find/Buy Good Cotton Bands?

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:09 am

Not sure what your read that put Scandinavia Linings in question. Noted in past forums address original NOS linings that may not be suitable for use if they have signs of rot because they were not stored correctly. Several T owners have claims of good NOS linings in their stock. The weave issue on new manufactured linings relate to their length, being a short of the original's 23-1/2" by an inch. There isn't any recent discussion about their current length.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:09 am

I dont know of any current issues with scandia. See if there is a vendor with stock. Lately stuff is in short supply.
A ways back, I got a set of white cotton from Bob's. Was impressed with the thickness. Looked like good quality.

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:20 am

Order a set of the 3 band springs also. I dont remember doing a band job that didnt need at least 2 new springs. They seem to take a shorter set after a period of use. Maybe from the motor heat.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 pm

GEmering wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:24 am
Those are the Cantex made Scandinavian. I've been using those since 2006 and have had very good life from them.
Unfortunately for me the 26-27 brake lining is no longer available in the Cantex Scandinavian. I'll go to a bonded lining when my present one wears out.
The best modern cotton linings I had were made by Mark Automotive but these haven't been available for at least 15 years.
Cotton linings are on the way out unfortunately, and I don't expect the supply situation to ever improve. The demand is no longer what it was with Kevlar taking over. There are only two other cars I know of in my club with cotton linings on all three bands.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm

John

re: your plan to convert to bonded linings...

do you know of anyone successfully using such a thing? Research this decision very carefully. The bonded linings I have experience with were popular in the 1970's into 80's at least in the USA, and were in my opinion, an unmitigated disaster of chattering and transmission damage.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:16 pm

Scott,
I concur.
I used to use "hard lining" back in the 70's and 80's.
In the early days they were asbestos, then some other sort of lining. Caterpillar lining was popular. I could jump on the brakes and and leave a skid mark longer than in my shorts. When my reverse drum suffered catastrophic failure I rebuilt it and have used Kevlar ever since. Just use it like cotton.
: ^ )
Keith

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Scott,
Yes, there are several guys in my club who have used, and still use bonded linings. They are pleased with them, and the only negative thing they have mentioned is slight chattering with the brake band. However, since I use the handbrake for most of my stopping, I don't see this as a problem.
I have also driven a friend's car with them - a very well used 26, and it looked like the bands had been there for a very long time; probably since the 1960's. I would say the take up action was a little more abrupt than cotton linings, but certainly not enough to damage anything. The thing that impressed me was how good the drums looked when we did take it all apart. The linings by that stage were getting a bit crumbly, so they got replaced with cotton.
For my rear drum brakes (hand brake) I've tried two kinds of bonded lining. A hard woven material and a soft grey material. The woven material was a bit grabby and resulted in squeaking brakes, while the soft grey material has a very smooth action - so that's what I'd contemplate for transmission band use. And besides, I read somewhere about the brass in woven linings coming out and getting into the babbit bearings when it's used for the transmission, so I won't be using that.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:49 pm

GEmering wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:24 am
I posted yesterday about changing bands on my ‘ 24 Touring.
The recommendation as a newer driver and someone with marginal mechanical skills was to use cotton.
I’ve read that there have been or possibly still are issues with Scandinavian linings.
Could someone recommend a supplier?

As always, thank you so much for the help!
Gene
Check with Chaffins. His last catalog shows scandia & cotton.(narrow) If not, ask Dave to have Mark chaffin check his personal old stock.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic