Suggestion on bending a radiator rod post?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Fozz71
First Name: James
Last Name: Chochole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50481
Board Member Since: 2003

Suggestion on bending a radiator rod post?

Post by Fozz71 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:46 am

My '15 radiator rod receiver has been slightly bent upwards from a previous owner, and before I do anything I wanted to ask the pros about strength of this part? What is the best way to bent this down ever so slightly to accept the radiator rod without sripping nor doing damage, or breaking the solder?

In the pic it looks almost straight, but it is indeed bent upwards a little.

Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
IMG_4738.jpg

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Suggestion on bending a radiator rod post?

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:07 pm

There are no guarantees in life...
But if it were mine, I would find a bolt 6" long, thereabouts and gently push down on the bolt while tapping with a rubber mallet, just below the mount.
Good luck :)

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Short answer is there should be enough strength there to allow for a little movement. The rod on my 14 needed a little "adjustment" also, but I decided to try a combination process. After bending the threaded boss a bit and getting it closer to right, I then adjusted mostly the rod itself Be sure to keep checking hood alignment and fit during the process. As you tighten things up you will notice the gap between hood and radiator or will change.
Terry

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm

The original receivers were an iron casting. There is a chance it may have rusted thin, and a chance of it breaking if levering is somewhat enthusiastically. Reproduction radiators/parts I have seen are brass castings and will be more resilient to being bent around. Properly installed, you are more likely to distort the brasswork in the tank than bend the cast receiver. Either way, that washer/plate around the back of the receiver may end up with a cracked solder joint. It's an easy fix once you have the receiver aligned.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Fozz71

Post by Fozz71 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Allan, the radiator is a reproduction from Brassworks.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 am

I may get pummeled for this...but here goes...

Been there done that on a bunch of ways :roll:

First time I tried nudging the threaded hole a bit and split an otherwise 'good enough' radiator...so was able to buy one from a guy in St. Charles Il junk pile for 25 bucks that looked good...but was still a little bent....grrr.

So for that one, I left the firewall nut loose, and warped the rod with each half turn until the hood set good and only then tightented up the firewall. No problem, for about 15 years and then when I went to take that apart the rod thread had apparently fretted against the sleeve thread and the sleeve coupling wanted to turn with they rod even after using good mojo juice...so put a small pipe wrench with a cheater on it and vice grips on the rod. On;y thing that got me was a sheared rod thread at the coupling edge...

Then I bought a car that had a honeycomb in place with a really wierd rod mounting. Didn't look like the honeycomb had been reworked so presummed that this rod came with the honeycomb. Decided to change that one out for a new Bergs radiator and while nothing wrong with the Bergs the rod was now too short. So not having one around sent for a new repo and it came in long, too long and I didn't have a die that fit. Thought I could horse it together, but the radiator mount was a pad type, not spring thimbles and that turned difficult...

Sooo...in desperation, I had an idea to get through this as the Hack was going to be a runner and was made up of many year parts I didn't care about purity and not a trailer queen. I'd take the rod and the 'clip' from the honeycomb..and use it with the Bergs! It not only got me through, it was the simplest 'hack' ever to get things parallel and true. I'm not close enough for pix...but here is a sketch. Like I said, it does make hood alignment a breeze...maybe a good aftermarket option...lol

t rod.jpg
t rod.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:02 pm

One way to get the correct alignment between the radiator and firewall is to elongate the hole in the firewall. Unless the alignment is really far off you you could elongate the hole either up or down to get it to line up. I did that to my 21 Touring with a recorded radiator.
You can’t tell that the firewall was elongated downward.
It works OK and the rod I’d straight.

Topic author
Fozz71

Post by Fozz71 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:59 pm

See, this is what I mean when I tell folks that half the battle with Model T's the support and creative help from other owners- thanks to all for the superb ideas and support!

You guys are the best!
Thanks,
Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic