What? "If the oil leak occurs around the front wall, it will be necessary to solder the wall"

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bmklawt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Klawiter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring

What? "If the oil leak occurs around the front wall, it will be necessary to solder the wall"

Post by bmklawt » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:54 am

I believe I have a considerable oil leak at the front end of the crankshaft and was reading in the service manual "Stopping oil leak at front end of crankshaft" and it talks about "If the oil leak occurs around the front wall, it will be necessary to solder the wall" what are they talking about, is the solder used instead of a gasket? Just trying to get a handle on this before I attempt any repairs of the crankshaft seal.
I'm thinking they are talking about the timing cover and today I would just use a gasket but I'm not sure, please educate me.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: What? "If the oil leak occurs around the front wall, it will be necessary to solder the wall"

Post by Allan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 am

The front wall in the pan is riveted in place and soldered to seal it to the pan. Over time, the solder can crack producing what can be a considerable leak. It should be re-soldered, but that means taking the pan off. Others may have an on-situ temporary fix that may hold up until you have to pull the motor.
Allan from down under.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: What? "If the oil leak occurs around the front wall, it will be necessary to solder the wall"

Post by mtntee20 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:44 am

Bruce,

Look up some photos of the oil pan. The pan is not sealed completely around it's perimeter. There is a dam/wall in the nose section that stops the oil but allows the pan to go on to support the crank. You can look down and under the crank/fan belt pulley and see the front of the pan where your crank bushing is attached to the nose of the pan. There should be no or very little oil there.

Good Luck,
Terry

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 am

IMG_1497 copy 3.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:20 am

That can all be taken care of when you are rebuilding the transmission and the pan is off
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:24 am

I use Babbitt to solder the front dam. Then seal the back side with RTV. Dan

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:32 am

If your planning to pull the engine and really clean everything up don’t be surprised when you see all the brazed areas on the pan arms and the soldered area in the front wall looking bad at first glance. THATS THE WAY IT WAS DONE AT THE FACTORY!
The brass and solder was pretty much flowed and slopped on by the line workers.

Topic author
bmklawt

Post by bmklawt » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:32 am

I get it now, thanks.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:42 am

Clean the area around the front wall and timing cover. I would try running the engine at a high idle, so oil is flowing in the in pipe, without the pulley and fan to better see what is going on. It could be around the soldered joint, where the block is bolted down to the crankcase, or could be the crankshaft seal. Could even be the timing gear cover or missing camshaft seal. If it is the soldered joint, might try sealing with something like JB weld after cleaning down to bare metal along the joint and washing it out good.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:20 am

bmklawt wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:54 am
I believe I have a considerable oil leak at the front end of the crankshaft and was reading in the service manual "Stopping oil leak at front end of crankshaft" and it talks about "If the oil leak occurs around the front wall, it will be necessary to solder the wall" what are they talking about, is the solder used instead of a gasket? Just trying to get a handle on this before I attempt any repairs of the crankshaft seal.
I'm thinking they are talking about the timing cover and today I would just use a gasket but I'm not sure, please educate me.
Have you determined the dam is actually leaking? ???
I didnt think that was a common condition. Have sen a lot of pans, on & off motors. A few had cracks in the top corners. Front seal commonly leaks.
Judging the # of replys, it must be common.
I do know that lead has a life expectancy of 50-60 years. When I have a pan off or selected to use, I look for signs of the lead breaking down, remove it & re-solder.
If its leaking badly. A theoretical, in car fix. When the pan is removed fix it right. (have done this with silicone else ware.) Going to want room to work. Pull radiator, fan & crank pulley. Plug motor holes with rags. (valve cover & between block) Trans cover on. Put shop vac nozzle into oil filler. turn on. Spray around dam with brake cleaner. Notice where it gets sucked in. Mix up some jb weld or use ultra black silicone. Turn on shop vac. Force sealer & let vac suck it in. Shut off vac & let sit over night.

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:57 am

:D Steve answered his question precisely without saying a word!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:02 pm

JohnM wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:57 am
:D Steve answered his question precisely without saying a word!
That's a bad habit of his.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:02 pm

Many times a picture is worth at least
1864_two_cent_piece_reverse2.jpg
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Chuck Regan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 50122
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chuck Regan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm

The dam on my ‘26 leaked badly - found it had been JB welded in the past - oil leaked behind old JB Weld. I removed the old JB Weld - cleaned and sealed the seams - especially the upper corners - with Ultra Black. Dam has not leaked since.
Attachments
5BFBEB80-BD52-4691-96D5-3A63A515C336.jpeg

Topic author
bmklawt

Post by bmklawt » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Well it looks like I may be wrong about this leak, I will have to investigate further. It leaks a tiny amount if I'm sitting still with the engine running, but judging from the oil streaks on the driveway it leaks a lot more when I'm moving
Attachments
IMG_1794.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic