Universal grease

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
mike zahorik
First Name: mike
Last Name: zahorik

Universal grease

Post by mike zahorik » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:58 pm

In the past I have always used wheel bearing grease in the ball cap/ universal joint. Recently, at a farm supply store I saw some NGLI 00 grease, that is used in some farm gearing applications. This grease has a low viscosity. I figured that regular wheel bearing grease in the ball cap will be spun off the universal and stick to the sides of the ball cap. I understand that the clearance in the ball cap is small and there is some motor oil leakage into the ball cap, so maybe this is not a real problem, But a low viscosity grease will slump in the bottom of the ball cap when the the universal stops spinning and re-coat the universal. Maybe some draw backs to the low viscosity grease is that it may thin with motor oil leakage and could leak out of the ball cap. Looking for opinions, Thanks, Mike

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Universal grease

Post by speedytinc » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:37 pm

mike zahorik wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:58 pm
In the past I have always used wheel bearing grease in the ball cap/ universal joint. Recently, at a farm supply store I saw some NGLI 00 grease, that is used in some farm gearing applications. This grease has a low viscosity. I figured that regular wheel bearing grease in the ball cap will be spun off the universal and stick to the sides of the ball cap. I understand that the clearance in the ball cap is small and there is some motor oil leakage into the ball cap, so maybe this is not a real problem, But a low viscosity grease will slump in the bottom of the ball cap when the the universal stops spinning and re-coat the universal. Maybe some draw backs to the low viscosity grease is that it may thin with motor oil leakage and could leak out of the ball cap. Looking for opinions, Thanks, Mike
The U-joint ball is supposed to be packed(full)

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Did a little research about NLGI numbers. Also it would seam that CV joints are similar to T's ball cap & u-joint design so why not that type of grease?
The NLGI consistency number, sometimes referred to as NLGI grade, refers to the relative hardness of a grease used for lubrication as specified by the institute's standards. https://petroleumservicecompany.com/greases/
NLGI 0 grade grease is a very soft grease about the consistency of brown mustard.
NLGI 00 grade grease has a semi-fluid consistency similar to applesauce.
NLGI 000 grade grease has a semi-fluid consistency similar to cooking oil.
NLGI 1 grade grease has a semi-fluid consistency similar to tomato paste.
NLGI 2 grade grease has a consistency similar to peanut butter.

Interesting comments from https://smazka.ru/eng/news/novosti-komp ... lya-shrus/
STABILITY - squeeze small quantity of grease on sheet of paper. If there is no any oily spot on paper around grease within one minute, grease is quite stable.
BODY - Good grease for cv-joints should have 2/3 NLGI consistency number.
ADHESION - In simple words, adhesion is stickiness. Squeeze small quantity of grease on the surface and press down with your finger. It should stretch like bubble gum. It will guarantee that the grease will not leak from cv-joint and will not be washed out from the unit by water even if the axle boot is broken

So sounds like NLGI 00 is too thin and will leak around the ball cap, requiring more refills. I like the ADHESION explanation NLGI 2 sounds appropriate
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:44 pm

I use Wheel Bearing grease. Other thick grease will work but you need to pack it full because there is no seal on the ball cap and the more grease you have there will prevent engine oil from dripping out or running down the drive shaft to the differential. Don't use any grease containing graphite because if some of it works into the transmission, graphite is an electrical conductor and could interfere with the magneto.
Norm

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:06 pm

Like Speedytinc saod...I pack it FULL when I have the engine or rear end out, and I KEEP it that way every oil change via use of a zerk equipped grease cup. (At least try to). Yeh I know, not "authentic!" Takes about 30 pumps with the grease cartridge gun.
Attachments
20210725_180113.jpg

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:00 am

I use John Deere corn head grease. bobt

Topic author
mike zahorik
First Name: mike
Last Name: zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Thanks for the advise. I decided to 'stick' with the wheel bearing grease. First it is common and if I need some on the road, everywhere will have some. AND since I have not heard of any problems with wheel bearing grease (most everyone uses it) it must work. Thanks again. Mike

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:05 pm

Good decision. To reiterate… If you use a low viscosity grease, it will lubricate better in the short term but will leak out of the ball much faster than the high viscosity Valvoline red wheel grease that I use. As everyone says. Pack the ball full so the grease cannot be slung out and will also prevent the crankcase oil from leaking out through the rear. Jim Patrick

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Have you heard of a product called "portable grease"? A friend who has some of the largest cranes made uses it on his cranes and in the rear ends of his collector cars. His collector cars go from T's to Stutz. I am using it in the rear end of all my T's. Better than "600" think. Maybe I will use it in the ball cap.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:17 pm

DickC wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:06 pm
Have you heard of a product called "portable grease"? A friend who has some of the largest cranes made uses it on his cranes and in the rear ends of his collector cars. His collector cars go from T's to Stutz. I am using it in the rear end of all my T's. Better than "600" think. Maybe I will use it in the ball cap.
I dont know this product, but be aware the ball joint isnt sealed. Liquid will seep out around the flange. In fact, as one fills the cavity, when grease starts oozing around the flange, one knows its full.

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 am

NLGI 00 was originally called Non-Fluid Oil. It was recommended for most lube places on early Buicks, a car with more sophisticated engineering than Fords (I own both). NLGI 00 is a Non-Newtonian Fluid, meaning it "flows" under pressure or vibration, but returns to more or less solidity at rest. Because it was recommended for my early Buicks, I use it a lot, so far with no adverse effects noted. In the universal joint setting, there is a tendency for the spinning u-joint to throw the grease against the side of the housing, and if the grease does not then flow it stays on the side, not lubricating anything, full ball or not. The standard thought was that small amounts of engine oil leaking into the ball would keep it all going. I am now trying NLGI 00 in the u-joint, will see if it leaks out or not. So far there was no significant leakage after driving 400 miles in the New Philadelphia tour. Similarly I am using NLGI 00 in the differential, also much less leakage than previously, and no bad signals after the recent tour. For those who care, this product can be had from at least one restoration supply house at $56 a quart, or from Tractor Supply Company as Cotton Picker Spindle Grease (in the farm equipment section, NOT the oils and lube section) for a little over $5.00 a quart.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:36 pm

If the ball is packed full of thick bearing grease, there is no space for the slung grease to go, so it remains inside the spinning cage of the universal joint, thereby providing never ending lubrication. Only if you partially fill the ball will there be space enough for the grease to be slung out of the cage to remain against the inside wall of the ball. That is why it is important to keep the ball topped off so it remains full. Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic