Streetcar bell on older cars

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Streetcar bell on older cars

Post by bdtutton » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:25 am

When i first started looking at early brass cars I noticed that many had bells that operated with a foot button. I was told the bells were for use in the city because the horses were familiar with trolly bells, but were startled by the squeeze bulb horns. I was wondering how long these bells were in use and why I don't see them for sale very often. Does anyone know the history of these bells?? The car I am restoring was built in late 1913 and I was wondering if this is something people were still adding to their cars at that time.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Streetcar bell on older cars

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:21 am

Commonly called a Bermuda bell, they were mostly used on earlier cars, think 1905 and earlier. However, they were still being sold as after-market accessories for automobiles into the late 1910s. So if you want one on your 1913, as an after-market accessory, it wouldn't be really wrong.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:05 am

As Wayne posted. Here are some pictures, in older post.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/128544.html

Most have threaded post pedal, you mount the bell under the floorboard, and press down firmly and quickly release for a loud “Ding-Dong” sound. Can be heard very well. Some have loose removable pedal posts, with the foot pad having a hole on the edge for a chain so it doesn’t get lost. Have one on my ‘27 and it’s fun for the wife to tap and sound off.

They made a come back in the 1950’s when modern repro were sold by J C Whitney, so some 50s cars used them too.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:18 pm

Shameless plug, I posted one for sale last night.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic