Full Floating Rear End

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
1902Crest
First Name: mike
Last Name: west
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: one

Full Floating Rear End

Post by 1902Crest » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:08 am

Ive read comments about Model T Full Floating Rear Ends. I have other antique cars that have full floating rear ends where as the if a axle breaks the wheel didnt pass you. All the bearings were outboard of the differential.... How is this accomplished on a model T? The reason I ask is I want to make a dummy axle using rear end T parts for a trailer. Ill use the backing plate castings and rivet a straight DOM piece of tubing in-between. I could then use these outboard bearings to control the wheels. All comments welcome! I don't want to use a welded up front axle. Thanks Mike

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Full Floating Rear End

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 am

If you want a trailer axle that looks like a T and uses T wheels, you could probably use a gutted T housing and install modern trailer axle stubs or a full axle into the T housing, then modify the modern hubs to accept T wheels. Stub axle and hub assemblies and full axles in a variety of load ratings are available at Tractor Supply and elsewhere. These have typical modern type wheel bearings. It might be possible to cut a full axle in two or use two stub axles and install a left and right axle/hub/bearing assembly in the T housing without permanently altering the housing itself by fabricating some adapter pieces to secure the modern half axles or stub axles in the T housing.

Topic author
1902Crest

Post by 1902Crest » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 am

Pat, Thats a better idea than mine. Much better and most likely more cost effective. Thanks Mike

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Most all safety hubs use a single row ball bearing. The radial load rating of these bearings is more than adequate to carry the weight of a Model T.
With that said, using a similar design without axles to resist the overturning moment that the bearing would see might not work out so well.

I like the idea of putting stub axles in the ends of a set of rear end housings if you want that look.

Topic author
1902Crest

Post by 1902Crest » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:16 pm

Great point made! Thanks

mike catlin
First Name: James
Last Name: Catlin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 26310

Post by mike catlin » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:14 pm

I have a model t trailer axel straight shaft use front wheels let me know your location

Topic author
1902Crest

Post by 1902Crest » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:45 pm

Livonia NY.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic