Machine for making wood body structures

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Machine for making wood body structures

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 pm

Does anyone remember a post from several years ago about a machine that made joints to put wood pieces together to make larger pieces of wood?

The touring body I disassembled when I was originally restoring my Touring had wood structure pieces that were made using a machine that created interlocking joints to create the finished piece.

My Centerdoor's original floor sills were made this same way.

Please help as I would like to write a blog article about it on my website.

Thanks.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Machine for making wood body structures

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:35 pm

The discussion centered around whether or not a Linderman glue jointing machine was used to create double dovetail joints in Model T's. One poster said they had one in their Model A, while others suggested that there was never such a part used in a T.

Myself, I have found glued finger joints in the LENGTH of non-structural wood, Lap Joints in the belt rail, and splined endgrain on floorboards, but never a Linderman Dovetail Joint of any kind much less than making up wider boards like is shown here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1354038016
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:59 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:35 pm
The discussion centered around whether or not a Linderman glue jointing machine was used to create double dovetail joints in Model T's. One poster said they had one in their Model A, while others suggested that there was never such a part used in a T.

Myself, I have found glued finger joints in the LENGTH of non-structural wood, Lap Joints in the belt rail, and splined endgrain on floorboards, but never a Linderman Dovetail Joint of any kind much less than making up wider boards like is shown here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1354038016
Scott,

Here's part of my original Sills on my Centerdoor. If you look just beyond the screw, you can see the joinery used to put the wood pieces together.
Attachments
Linderman.jpg
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

YUP! Machine for making wood body structures

Post by Dropacent » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:22 pm

Here is a small ford wood part with the linderman joint. You can see why they haven’t been seen much from this specimen. My speculation that wood boards were made from scrap, and machined into smaller parts. Too small for this operation , it was charcoal time, baby. Note the angled, counterbore hole on the original jointed hood block. Two different hole diameters, also.
20265885-D91A-4C40-8656-6BBE88FB283A.jpeg
C0C182C9-AE2C-4E2E-8A2A-61735796080D.jpeg
6B3062D5-257F-49A4-8BA1-F648C7B42B77.jpeg
4B62CC27-7D66-468B-AA21-5157169521FA.jpeg

OilyBill
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:03 pm

My 1926 Franklin 11-A Rumbleseat Coupe has Linderman machine joints all over it.
I am lucky enough to have most of the blueprints for the car as I have worked on it, and many parts are designed to be made from
"Linderman Machine Stock"

You are correct. If it was too small to be put through the Linderman machine, then it either went into the Franklin Factory furnaces, or was sold as scrap. H. H. Franklin had a policy that any scrap material was first offered to employees of the company, and then if there were no buyers, it actually went to the scrapyard. In the Franklin literature, there are many articles from Franklin employees who bought "out of style" leather and upholstery fabric, and did their furniture at home, or upgraded their cars to more stylish trimmings. They sold a lot of paint and trim hardware to employees as well.

I worked for the Learjet Corp for many years, and for most of that time, they held annual "employee sales" where you could buy leather, fabric, equipment and machine tools that were obsolete. I still have rolls of leather, and burled walnut veneers, and even some liquor decanters that they sold because they changed interior designs, and they were no longer useable. I bought 2 of the original drafting tables on which the original Learjets were designed, when the guy who helped unload them and assemble them for the engineering department in 1963 told me what they were and that they were for sale.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic