Handicap accesable Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Handicap accesable Model T

Post by bdtutton » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:31 am

I have almost finished restoring my Model T and people are starting to ask for rides. Unfortunately, a few of the people are elderly and almost wheelchair bound and I don't think they can get into a Model T. The Model T is a very high car and it requires some big step ups to get in. I know a lot of people involved with Model T's are older so this issue must have come up before. Any ideas?

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Re: Handicap accesable Model T

Post by perry kete » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:03 am

When I had elderly and those with disabilities want to ride in my Touring I made a box like wooden step (wide & stable) that I would place next to the running board that was 1/2 as high as the running board so they could step on it, then onto the running board to enter the car. I had a non skid tape on top so it wasn't slippery. It was built so that if we were going out somewhere and getting out of the car at our destination I would strap it on the running board, get out and place it on the ground for them to step out on. If we were just riding local and coming right back to our starting point I would just leave it there. Of course I always made sure I had a hold of their arm as they entered and exited the car.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Cap
First Name: Cap
Last Name: Weir
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 & 25 C Cab

Post by Cap » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 am

I ended up with Dads TT Truck.. but he quit driving it long before he officially handed me the pink slip.. 'We' used one 'Ramp' that we would toss in the back of the truck.. AND, he Mounted a Gate Pull Handle, ( Yes and Old Ugly Zink Plated Steel one! ) on the Dash so he could grab it on the way in when he was riding passenger.. The Ugly Handle is still Screwed to the dash, It's now part of it's History.

I don't recommend either option directly, but the Box as previously mentioned, with some sort of Handle to grab to would likely work.

Cap

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:06 am

A few years ago when our club volunteered our cars at the Senior Center BBQ fund raiser I had a wheelchair bound gentleman come up for a ride. I could tell it wasn't his first rodeo climbing into vehicles. He slid out of his chair enough to rotate himself setting his rump on the running board, and with my help, he pulled himself up onto the floor first, then up to the seat. Took a few minutes, but we got it! Exiting, same thing only in reverse. He really loved taking the ride.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:01 pm

Years ago one of the club members had reached the age that he was having trouble getting in and out of his touring car. I dont remember how made it for him but he had a folding ladder that clamped to the door sill & the running board that folded up to drive & down to get in and out. It was painted black and all though it was not real atractive and stuck out a little he was able to get in and out and enjoy his T for a couple of more years.
I have also seen a short piece ( about a foot long) of running board bolted with spacers under the running board on the right side to give a boost up.
I think someone called it a fat man step.
Craig

Bryce
First Name: Bryce
Last Name: Putnam
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 C cab 1923 Fordor 1923 Touring 1919 Centerdoor 1915 Speedster

Post by Bryce » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:09 am

My wife had a stroke and had a hard time getting in to the T so I made this folding step for her.
Attachments
20210802_070051.jpg
20210802_070033.jpg

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:39 am

In the heyday of the Model T this was also an issue with older folks and those who had health issues getting into them and owners had to come up with there own ideas in building some sort of steps or whatever. If there were any T accessories that were available from the aftermarket folks it probably was some sort of step and would have been about it. Just my opinion.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:38 am

Just put 'em in the back with the hay !

Comfort AND convenience !

hay1.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hudson29 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:01 pm

I bought a FRANKLIN One-Step Folding Stool from Harbor Freight to help my 93 year old mother get into my tall 4wd pickup when I moved her from SoCal to OR. It works very well and would help her get into the Model Ts just as it does with the pickup.

Paul
Attachments
FRANKLIN One-Step Folding Stool 1.png
FRANKLIN One-Step Folding Stool 2.png
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Will Brown
First Name: Will
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Runabout

Post by Will Brown » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:29 pm

That folding step stool is now $7.00 at Harbor Freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/one-step- ... 56185.html

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Post by bdtutton » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Thank you everyone for all the great ideas....I am going to try a couple of the ideas with the steps and see if it makes the car more accessible. If none of those ideas work I can always try what a friend of mine did to help his dad get into things....he made a little sling and hooked it to his engine puller and lifted his dad into and out of things. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked OK.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:53 pm

Bryan,

People pay good money for a ride like that and your friend's dad was getting the ride for free!

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:45 pm

Cap wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 am
AND, he Mounted a Gate Pull Handle, ( Yes and Old Ugly Zink Plated Steel one! ) on the Dash so he could grab it on the way in when he was riding passenger.. The Ugly Handle is still Screwed to the dash, It's now part of it's History.
Love it. Never take that off.
1924 Touring

graham lloyd
First Name: Graham
Last Name: Lloyd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 centredoor
MTFCI Number: 23832
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by graham lloyd » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:31 pm

I can't take credit for this adaptation. Done by Bruce Compton on this 1925 coupe I bought from him a few months ago. A portion of running board cut down to make a step plate. Uses a 1954 Lincoln power seat motor. Probably any 6 volt power seat motor would do the job, just as long as it is clutched so as not to burn it out when the travel limits are reached. Toggle switches mounted just inside each door to operate it.
Attachments
IMG_0006 (1).JPG
IMG_0005 (1).JPG
IMG_0004 (1).JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic