Only question about Gas Sediment Bulb '16

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

Only question about Gas Sediment Bulb '16

Post by rainer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:35 am

Hello.
I am wondering about the gas sediment bulb in my '16 Touring. The bulb body is cast iron, the gas stopcock with handle and side cover are made of brass.

Initially I only wanted to get the stopcock working again, but heat and even some brute force (of course with bulb held in a vise, not at the bottom of the gas tank) didn't change anything. The valve was absolutely fixed. Finally I found out that somebody must have drilled a hole from top down into the bulb also through the valve. Then a piece of copper pipe was pressed and soldered in. I can see the solder around the copper pipe. I can push a 1/4" wire through entire bulb from top to bottom. It was also impossible to open the side cover, and I cannot see any gasket. Most probably it is also soldered in.
I guess this sediment bulb was leaking and "repaired" in the past in this very brute way. ;)

So I finally bought a new "brass sediment bulb" as replacement from Lang's - to get the gas path into reliable condition. It is all brass and everything is fine. Now I also can pull the engine without having to dump all gas first.

But I am still wondering:
Did cast iron sediment bulbs with brass parts really exist?
Model T Touring 1916

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Only question about Gas Sediment Bulb '16

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:28 am

Yes they existed. Go to Vowell Art for technical drawings. You will see how it is put together. The on-off valve is brass and the body is cast iron.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:31 am

1912-1927 Sediment Bulb Assembly.jpg

Topic author
rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by rainer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:36 am

Hi, Dallas.

Thank you very much for this drawing and details.

Well, I can clearly see there is no copper pipe of ~2-3 inches length and inner diameter of ~1/4" inserted from top into the bulb, reaching out 1/2" from the short stud above the R1/2" thread. Also, the hole through the valve appears lots smaller in this drawing, it looks like 1/8" (as it is in my new brass bulb). :D

So my initial diagnosis (that this sediment bulb was brutally reworked) is correct. If I get this bulb apart, it will never work again, so I will keep it as spare, in case that the now installed brass one starts leaking (and I hope this will last very long).

Thanks a lot for your kindly help!
Model T Touring 1916

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic