Built a new dashbord for my '16

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

Built a new dashbord for my '16

Post by rainer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:34 am

Hello.
Since Sept 2019 I own my Model T Touring. Over winter I replaced most wiring including the thick cables from battery, their insulation partially fell apart. I also removed this ugly direction light switch from the steering wheel. It was so ugly (chrome on a brass car) - and misplaced (very exposed below spark advance lever), and finally it was also very strangely wired). This switch and the headlight pull switch are now replaced by a self made brass dashboard of 2.5" height (1.7" visible height).

The center of my dashboard has a little display inside. It shows the driving speed, battery voltage, and other things (if I program them). Speed measurement and today's lights must be installed by our laws also in Historical Cars, so this display was the best option as I can also see other useful things (i.e. the battery voltage, because my '16 has no generator, only starter). I also built direction lights and sidelights into the oil lights (as LED), so I could completely remove the modern direction lights from below of headlights.

I think this fits much better to the car because it is brass and not heavily exposed.

Only wanted to share some pictures.

ps: If somebody wonders about "gas gauge display"... This is a calculated gas level only. When I know my average distance I can drive with one gas fill, it will calculate from that... If it points out to be unnecessary, I will not implement it. I also prepared charging the battery from magneto (but not connected yet).
Attachments
The PCB behind my dashboard. Here I am testing the display.
The PCB behind my dashboard. Here I am testing the display.
Here I am working on display (testing and calibrating measurement...)
Here I am working on display (testing and calibrating measurement...)
This is the position of my dashboard with switches for direction lights (left switch) and other side lights, low headlights, high headlights (right switch). In upper-right corner you can see the meanwhile removed old switch. This ugly hole drilled below the windshield is reused by my dashboard and comes from the previous Headlight Switch. It is hidden below a little black painted bolt head now.
This is the position of my dashboard with switches for direction lights (left switch) and other side lights, low headlights, high headlights (right switch). In upper-right corner you can see the meanwhile removed old switch. This ugly hole drilled below the windshield is reused by my dashboard and comes from the previous Headlight Switch. It is hidden below a little black painted bolt head now.
This is my self made dashboard. Inside the window I have a LCD display for showing me speed and battery voltage (alternating, when battery becomes critical). It is mounted below the left corner of the windshield and looks lots better and more decent than this ugly chrome thing on steering column.
This is my self made dashboard. Inside the window I have a LCD display for showing me speed and battery voltage (alternating, when battery becomes critical). It is mounted below the left corner of the windshield and looks lots better and more decent than this ugly chrome thing on steering column.
Model T Touring 1916