Buying a ready made T Touring top?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Buying a ready made T Touring top?

Post by John kuehn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:59 am

I have a 21 Touring I restored about 2 years ago and I am finally getting around to either buying a Classtique kit or maybe finding a good usable top already made with the bows for my T. In other words a top ready to go. Has any one done this?
Yes I know it may be best to buy a kit and make the top to fit your car. I could do that since I have the correct 2 man top bows.
If it came off a car that supposedly identical I would think a (17- 21) two man Touring top would ‘seem’ like it would fit. It may a long shot so I’m wondering if some one has done this before.
I haven’t seen a complete top for sale on the classifieds so if there was one out there it would go pretty quick.
Thanks for any reply.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Buying a ready made T Touring top?

Post by George House » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:03 pm

Yes there is John. If you say you have the correct sockets and wood bows; just order a top from Classtique and have it shipped to Lilleker in College Station.Then arrange with him when to deliver your touring, wait a few hours, then take it home with a beautiful top. I did this with my ‘26 roadster. Hes really very reasonable $$ wise.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:41 pm

No two tops from different cars, even the same year, could be swapped. Each top is made for a specific car.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:27 pm

If everything else fits, you would still need to place all the straps and pads before the top material is in place including tacking to the rear of the body at the tack strip. If anything is not in EXACTLY the same place as it would have been on another car, you would have trouble getting things to fit. Even body parts can sag or be just a little different than another car. So start with first things first, then at the very last, trim around the edges and the top kit will fit.
Norm

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:49 am

The top kits from Classtique give you plenty of excess material to work with to make it fit your car and bows. The only differences in the two man top kit that I questioned and modified myself were the rear straps. They provide a non adjustable strap whereas my previous top had adjustables. The front did not have the rain flap that fits over the front of the windshield.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic