Grease relief....

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Grease relief....

Post by NU2theT » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Seems after a good long ride when checking and wiping things down after the ride a little oooze around my pictured ball cap. When I assembled the U-joint into the back of the motor I packed it full of the Timken bearing grease.

Thinking this might be expected and adding back in through my grease cup the amount of what I wiped away. Any input would be great and thanks in advance.

One other note I will be re-safety wiring the lower bolts, I just installed a new brake switch and new wire is on my weekend to-do list.
Attachments
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG
Last edited by NU2theT on Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Grease relief....

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:44 pm

I would not re-use the escaped grease. It probably contains grit. Fresh grease is much cheaper and easier to install than driveline parts.

Topic author
NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:13 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:44 pm
I would not re-use the escaped grease. It probably contains grit. Fresh grease is much cheaper and easier to install than driveline parts.
Sorry Pat, not re-using that old grease I wiped away. My HS english teacher would probably have smacked me on the back of the head for that one in using "adding" inproperly instead of "in addition to" :lol:

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:21 pm

My first thought at seeing that overflow of what appears to be fresh clean grease is to wipe it off with my finger and put it back in the ball joint grease cup. If the ball was covered with old crusty, dirt filled grease, I would not consider re-using it, but, due to Scott’s diligence and care of keeping his Model T components wiped down, that ball is so clean, I would not have any problem with re-using the leaked out grease. Jim Patrick

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:12 am

Perhaps it is doing what radiators do, expelling any overfill.

Allan from down under.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 am

Allan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:12 am

Allan from down under.

Spot on.
After you wipe down the excess grease, next comes some "liquified" grease from all the revolutions. Perfectly normal, albeit messy. "Marks the cars spot"!! :lol:

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 am

Allan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:12 am

Allan from down under.
This is generally true. While filling, when the excess grease oozes out, its full. Thats how you know.
The looser the "ball" joint the more excess mess there is. If you put a gasket under the flange, (cant tell from the pix) you greatly increase this phenomenon & added a looseness to this joint. Check parts vendors. There is a "shim" to take up for wear. Another factor is grease thickness. Thin works its way out easier. If the 4th main bearing fit is not tight, oil mixes in & thins further. I have been using a mix of regular molly & hi temp disk bearing grease. This mess is personal annoyance.

I have been experimenting with a sealing method. Temporary improvement/success so far. The last one i did doesnt have enough miles to know yet.

With the flange off. Solvent clean the contact areas. Spread a thin, even layer of oil on the ball. Place an even layer of ultra black silicone on the ball radius area of the flange. Let set a few minutes. Mount flange up. (not tight yet) After 1/2 hour tighten the 4 bolts. Clean the excess the next day by cutting away with a razor blade. Let sit overnight before moving the joint.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 am

Scott, I mis-read your statement about the excess grease. (you wrote "adding back THE AMOUNT") As for the grease mess issue, a custom machined ball cap with a couple of O-ring grooves on the inner face might solve it. Such an arrangement would probably need one of the "pop off" type relief valves added to allow filling the cavity. A cap machined from solid steel with two O-ring grooves, one to seal and one for a "wiper", might work well. Add grease near bottom; place pop off near top. Install with grease between inner and outer O-ring. The O-rings might help quiet the assembly by taking up slack when braking or slowing down.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:39 am

On the second picture in this thread I can see the two lower bolts holding the UJ ball joint plate in place.
These two bolts should be wired together. 😊😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic