Keys: then and now

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Flivver
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Park
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 runabout

Keys: then and now

Post by Flivver » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 am

RF fob key for 2018 Ford EV on the left, and the ignition and trunk key for 1926 Model T Runabout on the right. That bit key (sometimes called a bitted key) is for the trunk! Was that a common and typical trunk key in 1926 Runabouts?
Keys then and now.jpg

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Keys: then and now

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:38 am

The new fob will cost more than a new runabout back then.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 am

I prefer "then" to "now". I do not need or want a key, a fob, or a vehicle that gives me back-sass, or starts, beeps, or flashes lights behind my back, or tries to convince me that a door is a jar. If our congress of idiots has its way, it's going to get a lot worse. Your car, if you can afford one, will be your caretaker and counselor and discipline-provider. To hell with all that.

Jeff5015
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Schroeder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50300
MTFCI Number: 87
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Jeff5015 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:29 am

Don't hold back, Pat. Tell us how you really feel.
1916 Touring

Topic author
Flivver
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Park
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 runabout

Post by Flivver » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:47 am

I've got to admit, I much prefer keys that don't need batteries.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 am

Some of the older cars had a lot of fuss to start even when I was a boy. My dad had a 1936 Ford. First there was the door key which was on the curb side so the driver had to climb in and slide over get the feet around the floor shift and hand brake lever. Then put in the key turn it and then flip a toggle switch to turn on the ignition. Then with the shift in neutral, pull out the choke and put the foot on the starter switch. The key was very flimsy and it also locked the steering wheel, so sometimes if the wheel was turned in a certain position the key was hard to turn and often the key would break off. Otherwise, a great system! My grandparents had a 1935 Ford and it had the same system.
Norm

Nathan Pederson
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Pederson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Touring, Coupe, Roadster, Ton Truck, Chariot
MTFCA Number: 51087

Post by Nathan Pederson » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:09 am

Hi Flivver, Yes the large key in your picture fits 1926-27 Roadsters (and Coupes) and is quite a charming feature indeed.

For kicks awhile back, I combined the old with the new and added remote starting on one of my Ts.:shock:
Key Fob.jpg
The T already had a starter solenoid/push button dash switch installed, so it was fairly easy to do.
Parts needed were a key fob and receiver, a 6 to 12v converter (to power the receiver), 2 relays and the
starter solenoid.

Remote starting a Model T works best when the engine is warm and does not need choking or carb adjusting.
The mag key is always left on. One button on the key fob starts the engine and the other button grounds
out the magneto and shuts the engine off. Works from 100 feet away.

Not really that practical, but is oftentimes amusing.:D

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:19 pm

If you parked and locked one of the 1930s-40s Fords in such a way that the steering system was putting torque on the steering shaft, it could be difficult to unlock the combination switch. The solution was to avoid locking the steering while holding the steering wheel against torque. If the steering lock was found to be "tight", the solution was to turn the steering wheel slightly to relieve the torque on the steering shaft, which would allow the lock to function freely. As for the lack of an outside key lock on the driver side door, the slogan was, "Street side, Suicide! Curb side, Safe Side!" Drivers were also exhorted to turn the front wheels into the curb when parking downhill, and away from the curb when parking uphill, which still isn't a bad idea. It's still possible to get the steering lock in a bind on a modern vehicle. The cause and the solution remains the same: Determine which way the steering shaft is trying to turn, and turn the wheel a little to relieve the bind on the lock. The park pawl on automatic transmissions can also bind. It's best to stop the vehicle, then apply the parking brake FIRMLY, and then put the transmission in park. When getting underway, release the parking brake last. Always set the parking brake firmly, so that the vehicle cannot be moved until it is released.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm

"Not really that practical, but is oftentimes amusing..." Zombie T! " (Just don't forget the parking brake, or it might leave without you)

Nathan Pederson
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Pederson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Touring, Coupe, Roadster, Ton Truck, Chariot
MTFCA Number: 51087

Post by Nathan Pederson » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:28 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm
"Not really that practical, but is oftentimes amusing..." Zombie T! " (Just don't forget the parking brake, or it might leave without you)
Good point. I keep a water pump handy to chock it with.

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Post by modeltspaz » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:41 pm

That combination steering wheel key lock/non-keyed toggle ignition switch on the column was also used on trucks in the late 30s-early 40s. It was also used on mid 30s Nash products. The exact same column used by Ford. Possibly other makes.

I have seen G.M. built pickups from the 50's that the only outside locking door handle was on the passenger side. The push button on the driver door was blank. I have read that the vehicle codes in some larger cities prohibited exiting the vehicle on the driver side for safety reasons.
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic