Is this a split rim

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Emeraude
First Name: George
Last Name: Loranger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 touring
MTFCA Number: 32239

Is this a split rim

Post by Emeraude » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 pm

After buying my 26 t I started to demount the tires for replacement. It appears the one shown in the photo is a split rim. My question is, is this a split rim and if so can I mount my new tire as is?If it is a split rim it is rusted together I couldn’t,t split. It anyway.
Attachments
8B934ECF-ED25-451A-818B-8B9CCE2D48BD.jpeg

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Is this a split rim

Post by Kerry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 pm

Yes, split rim, No, can't mount tire with out splitting.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:58 pm

Yes, it is. I've never mounted a tire on one of those, but I've been told it's virtually impossible without the split.

Here's a page on wheels: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG113.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:09 am

The tyre which fits that rim is a straight side tyre, just like all the tyres of today. Rims of today have a drop centre, just like 27 T wire wheels. The tyre drops into the drop centre on one side to allow the rest of the tyre to be rolled into place.
Your split rim does not have the drop centre. The only way the tyre could be fitted would be to stretch it over the outside edge. This is impossible due to the heavy, tough wires used in the construction of the tyre carcase. So, the rim needs to be split, so that it can be collapsed somewhat to reduce the outer diameter and, in turn, allow the tyre to be dropped over the now smaller rim. Then it is jacked out again to its running size and the coupling clip engaged. Such rims DO need a flap under the tube to avoid the tube being abraded at the split.

Hope this helps.
Allan from own under.

Charlie_26_TT_Ccab
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Coleman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT C Cab Stakebed Truck
MTFCA Number: 51002
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Charlie_26_TT_Ccab » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:42 am

Hello George, I have mounted several tires on those same rims. In the photo you posted you can see a lever type lock that must be turned to the side. If it’s rusted or stuck I use a flat bar like a punch to turn the lever, and it may require a little persuasion with several hammer blows. Once the lever is turned to the side you can use a rim spreader as a rim puller with the hooks or a wood working bar type clamp to squeeze the other side under the side with the lever allowing you to mount the tire with the tube already inside the tire slightly inflated. I have used a large turn buckle in the bolt mounting holes to hold the rim in a slightly collapsed state while mounting the tire. Place the tire stem through the hole first as you start mounting the tire and you may need to hold the stem in place, a couple of wraps of good ole duck tape works well. Once the tire is in position on the rim then you can release the turn buckle or rim spreader to allow the rim to return the where you started. You may need a rim spreader to push the rim back in to place or a wood working bar clamp with the ends reversed to push the rim back in to shape. Once you have it back to the round position and the ends adjoining as you started then push the lever back to how it is showing in the photo. I can probably send you a couple of photos if needed. Sorry for being long winded but I’m sure you can do it if I can. Best Regards, Charlie

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:29 am

DSC07731.jpg
DSC07734.jpg
DSC07737.jpg
DSC07738.jpg
DSC07740.jpg

Charlie_26_TT_Ccab
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Coleman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT C Cab Stakebed Truck
MTFCA Number: 51002
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Charlie_26_TT_Ccab » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:07 am

Hello there John, thanks for sharing your photos, once again it’s true a picture is worth a thousand words.
Also as mentioned you should use a rim flap installed with the tube to prevent cuts at the joint of the rim.
Best, Charlie

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:01 pm

I have done at least si of those without the special tool. I would either load the joint clip (I'm not sure of the official name) With a good penetrating oil, let it sit for a bit, then as was suggested earlier, move it with a hammer and punch. If you want to get it done more quickly, use a gas wrench. Any welding or exhaust shop will have one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic