Wooden spoked wheel overhaul

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Wooden spoked wheel overhaul

Post by John Codman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am

I have two wheels that I would like to send to Stutzmans for overhaul. One had a severe wobble. My question is What exactly do they do? I assume that they check the condition of the spokes and replace those that are "tired", but do they sandblast/paint the steel parts? Do they paint the spokes? On a rear wheel do you ship the brake drum too? I know that I could call, but I hate to bother them with something that isn't going to happen for a couple of months. Someone here must have experience in this. Thanks.

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Wooden spoked wheel overhaul

Post by James_B_NC » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:58 am

I’m about to ship mine off, but I painted my rims and hubs myself. Also sending off the brake drums.
The forum's resident Millennial.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:12 am

James,
We should clarify for John. It sounds like you removed all your spokes, cleaned, prepared and painted the rims and hubs, then will send them to Stutzman's for all new wood.

John,
If you're going to the trouble and expense of doing your wheels I certainly recommend you do NOT just replace "those that are "tired". In fact, although I don't know for sure, I seriously doubt Stutzman's or any other reputable wheel rebuilder would re-install old spokes along with new ones unless just replacing a damaged spoke.

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by James_B_NC » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Yeah, exactly what I did. Sorry about any confusion
The forum's resident Millennial.

JEC
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Should the hub and fellow be primed and painted before you send them or do they do this?

jaxenro
First Name: Joel
Last Name: Axenroth

Post by jaxenro » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Just as a practical matter would it make sense to mix woods in a wheel by only replacing some spokes? Im not an expert but it seems wood cut 100 years ago would expand and contract differently from some cut in the last few and kiln dried? Wouldn’t that risk it getting out of kilter?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:05 pm

I made the mistake of priming the rim and hubs before sending them. I got the new wheels, painted them and started mounting the tires. Little dings and scratches are a natural feature of tire mounting, and every least little one was a glaring blemish of gray primer. The wheels looked like L. I ended up masking the wood and blasting the metal parts bare. If I have any more wheels made,I'll blast and prep the metal parts and send them bare, then use a primerless paint like glossy Rustoleum or appliance epoxy enamel.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:49 pm

I've used Stutzman's Wheel Shop and can tell you about the services are available there, but not elsewhere. He'll re-wood your entire wheel for about $200. I doubt very much that he'd replace only the tired spokes because it wouldn't pay for him to do that kind of work and the result wouldn't be satisfactory or safe. If you're gonna do it, do it! At Stutzman's, sandblasting and priming your metal hubs and rims is an option for which he charges a very reasonable extra fee. The end product, in any case, is a bare-wood wheel (as in the accompanying photo) requiring either painting or varnishing or whatever other wood finish.
Attachments
wood wheel.jpg

CraneJon
First Name: jon
Last Name: crane
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 T pickup, 1928 A, 1931 A

Post by CraneJon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:40 pm

I removed the old spokes and shipped the components to Mr. Stutzman for sandblast and prime the metal parts and then respoke the wheels. Shipped him all the parts and new bolts for mounting the hubs to the spokes, then visited his ship in Ohio to pick them up. Well worth the trip and a fascinating shop and building process. A true tradesman with pride in his product.

Regarding bolts to mount the hubs...most of the suppliers have less expensive and more expensive hub bolts. like $5 or $7 per wheel. Buy the more expensive stronger bolts. The few extra dollars for higher tensile bolts are worth the security. I included the bolts and Mr. Stutzman used them to assemble the wheels but did not peen them over. I took them out and removed the hub the center to paint, then reassembled them. Used a rustoleum rattlecan to paint the parts. Hubs and felloes were black and rims were rustoleum galvanized.

Regarding , mounting tires and tubes. .Put tube inside the tire and inflate to 5# and let tire and tube set overnight. Deflate tube and mount tire using the plastic bag method. Google that subject (plastic bag tire mounting) and you will have pretty good success without messing up the rim finish.

last I sanded and natural finished the wood spokes after masking. Used Epifanes Marine varnish..thin first coat, then 6 unthinned thick coats applied with a plastic brush, Great stuff that leaves a lifetime finish. It is expensive and is what the marine mahogany boat guys are using. Read the instructions and buy the Epifanes thinner when you purchase the varnish.

Good luck and a great winter project

Topic author
John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks for your replies guys!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic