Gary Hylton

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Nick
First Name: Nick
Last Name: Nicholas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 touring 21 touring 22 coupe 25 roadster 26 roadsters 25 speedster
MTFCA Number: 10127

Gary Hylton

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:23 pm

The model T hobby lost another icon.
On their way to the Chickasha meet Gary Hylton was killed in an automobile accident. Carol was not hurt. Please keep him in your prayers.

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Re: Gary Hylton

Post by HornsRus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:14 am

to bad he was a good guy.i did a few bodies for him very easy to work for.charley

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:34 pm

It's always sad to lose another good T guy. My sympathy to his Wife and family.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Rest in Peace my friend. There will surely be an ice cream shortage in heaven for quite some time! Thank you for all the good times we had together.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:55 pm

Sad day. I never meet Gary but he was part of this family, our family. It is always especially sad when a life is cut short. Condolences to his wife and family. They are in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.
Maybe some of you that knew him, could tell us a little bit about him. Thanks and prayers....
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

MikeSommers
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sommers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31711
MTFCI Number: 23889

Post by MikeSommers » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 am

Gary was a founding member of the Kansas City Model T Club, the KC Chuggers. He had three Model T’s, each of which showed a different side to this impressive gentleman. His ’11 Touring was impeccably restored, and completely lacked and dings or dust, since he only took it out for club get-togethers or sunny day ice cream runs. When he got back home, he went over the car, cleaning and polishing, from top to bottom. An Ames body 1919 Touring was his “go-to” car, which he drove everywhere, often times long distances. He had a vision to restore his 1913 Touring to mechanical perfection so he could organize major tours, such as from KC out to the west coast, and back.

Gary epitomized the classic American virtue of “if you can’t say something good about someone, don’t say anything at all”. You never heard a negative word from Gary, since he always had a positive attitude. His wife, Carol, was the perfect balancing force for Gary. She was always there, offering support, and yes, sometimes being the one to reel him in when he wandered off-course. He was a member of the Speedster Hall of Fame, which showed his love of the fast and the unique in this hobby.

Already, he is missed, but he will never be forgotten.

Joss
First Name: Joss
Last Name: Sanderson

Post by Joss » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Toured with Gary and Carol on several progressive tours over about 20 years. Will miss him and his laugh immensely. Hope those who live nearby can offer Carol the support she will need in the coming days.

John Dow
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Gary Hylton with his Ames bodied '19 Touring
Gary Hylton with his Ames bodied '19 Touring

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm

RIP Model T Brother.

Hank

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4

Post by Luxford » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:22 am

Mike Sommers pretty well said it all but I would like to add some.
I first met Gary when on the MTFCA Great Bend tour in the 1990's in Kansas The family had to get from Great Bend to St Louis and our ride was not able to be there to take us. We rode with Gary and Carol back to their house in Kansas City were put up for the night taken to get a hire car next day after being taken on a tour of the town.
We returned a few years later when Gary hosted a MTFCI annual meeting where he convinced Bill Smith from Speedway motors to ship down several of his T motors on stands and give a lecture. Heard often it was one of the outstanding meeting ever arranged.

We again were put up at his house and looked after like royalty when we passed through Kansas City on our way to Mt Rushmore at a later date.

Gary as Mike mentioned traveled widely in his Ames Touring all over the States and every Christmas we would get a card often with a photo of the Ames at some far distant place. John Dows photo shows the back of his Ames which is painted cream with brown guards.

One thing that I really enjoyed was his vast Model T Accessory collection he had in his basement, I still have the brand new still in box commutator he gave me at the time.

Sad time for me being so far away in Australia wish I could be closer for Carol and the family.

John Dow
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 am

Gary's beloved and well known Ames bodied '19 Touring.
Gary's beloved and well known Ames bodied '19 Touring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic