Y spare tire carrier.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Y spare tire carrier.

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:49 pm

The parts were scrambled when this went to the painter and I may be missing parts. I am wondering how this goes back together? The forks go onto the rear spring U bolts, then the Y shaped part goes face up on the triangle mount? The two brackets go on to the top of the Y? What fastener attaches the two brackets? What goes on to the bottom of the Y? Am I missing a part? What does the seemingly extra short tube part do? The two bolts in the second picture do not seem original they seem to be an odd fit. I am unsure what that flat piece and sliding bolt do?
Attachments
IMG_0808.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Re: Y spare tire carrier.

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 am

Yes, Ignacio, you appear to be missing at least two, maybe three or more parts. Lang's has all of them listed in their catalog. Part # 2876 B are special nuts used on the 3 threaded bolts on the gooseneck carrier to attach the 'Y' to the gooseneck. Part number 2849 B is pare tire carrier clamp bolt. Part number 2849 C is the spare rim carrier bracket. Part # 2849 D is the spare rim carrier outer clamp. Other parts that may be needed are 2848 B, 2875, 2876, or 2876 B.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:46 am

hitch.jpg
hitch.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
The extra short tube you do not need. Three bolts go through the gooseneck and like Terry said you normally use three nuts to hold the Y on. They are special nuts that fit in the gooseneck. The small parts go on the top Y portion of the gooseneck. Terry listedwhat you need for the bottom.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 pm

I am wondering what does the red circled amalgam of stuff do? It looks a little odd like some of the bolts are not original. Internet pictures don't show this gizmo to be present. Secondly internet pictures seem to show the brackets are riveted but these are not. While I can rivet I don't want to mess up the paint job on this so I am thinking of bolting the brackets on?

Thirdly Lang's has 2 types of lower bracket: https://www.modeltford.com/item/2849C.aspx and https://www.modeltford.com/item/2849D.aspx do I need any of these for this or does the stud just go into one of the rim bolt holes?
Attachments
ycarrierdetail2.jpg
ycarrierdetail.jpg

DHort

Post by DHort » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 am

The piece in both photos attached to the triangle needs to be discarded. It does not belong there.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:44 am

Ignacio, The gooseneck touring car type spare bracket uses three studs like the ones on your roadster type bracket plus three special nuts to mount the Y bracket. The other stuff is not stock and not needed. At the top of the Y the rim retaining bracket was originally riveted on, but in your case of final paint already done, you can use button bolts that will look a little like rivets from the front side.
When I worked for Santa Fe railroad and they had the failed merger with Southern Pacific to form SPSF the management was so sure it would be approved by the goverment that they painted the locomotives SPSF. The merger was not approved and the joke was SPSF stood for, Shouldn't Paint So Fast !

DHort

Post by DHort » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Ignacio, I posted some more photos for you on FB. They are on Model T Ford Club of Facebook.

On my carrier the upper brackets are riveted. The bolts for the triangle normally take a thin nut that is tapered on one side. They did not work on my carrier so I had to use the thicker tapered nuts. Hope this helps.

p.s. I posted them on FB because I cannot post photos here.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 am

It is on! You do have to back out the U brackets all the way to get them on. Getting the cotters off, backing the U's off and putting them back on was work but the cool factor of the tire carrier is off the charts. Lang's is out of the lower stud so I am using a rim bolt temporarily.
Attachments
IMG_0854 (1).jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic