Model T and Model A Fans…..

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Model T and Model A Fans…..

Post by MichaelPawelek » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:33 pm

In the 33 years I have owned my Model A I have read numerous articles regarding safety issues with original fans cracking at the rivets and possibly flying apart. My Model A did in fact have a cracked fan. The Model A world has numerous replacement options.

There does not appear to be the same problem with the Model T and 3 vendor sites I have looked at only carry steel pressed riveted fans. Is the difference the fan rpms?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Model T and Model A Fans…..

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:37 pm

Could be the RPM thing, but T fans are also known to toss a blade. May not be as common as the Model A. Could have something to do with the way the Model A fan is constructed and material it is made out of along with being 2 blade.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Re: Model T and Model A Fans…..

Post by Dropacent » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 pm

The original two blade model A fan is hollow, and internal corrosion can be undetectable, and look perfectly fine, until they aren’t. All the originals are well beyond their life expectancy, and should be replaced. That is, if you value your sheet metal, radiator and/ or skull. The new ones are very nicely made, solid aluminum, powder coated. Wish they wouldn’t powder coat the pulley groove, though.
It’s easy to inspect any normal T fan by looking or feeling for visible cracks. Not so with model A.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic