What have you done on your T - September

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mikerobison
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Robison
MTFCA Number: 26267
MTFCI Number: 21417

What have you done on your T - September

Post by Mikerobison » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:06 pm

I didn't see a new topic for this month. This T Speedster isn't mine but I thought you'd still like to see the progress thus far.

https://youtu.be/Sa_5HVyCreg

I'm wrapping up the little things in this journey of the Speedster rebuild. Question is will the car move under its own power? Check out the video to find out!

There are several other videos in the series, If you haven't seen them, feel free to follow through at the end of the video.

Mike
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: What have you done on your T - September

Post by mtntee20 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:08 am

Getting the 27 Touring ready for the Covered Bridge tour so I decided to change the oil and open up the bottom end and check things out. I noticed a faint knock which could have been spark knock or who knows what so now I can see it is time to remove a shim on some of the rods. Everything else looks good so it will be ready to tour soon.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

tinner12
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Enis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 and 1924 touring,1926 4 door

Post by tinner12 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:38 am

started a new project Bought a basket case 24 touring with two extra frames,rear ends ,front ends Lots of fun for this winter
IMG_0182[15359].jpg
IMG_0182[15359].jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
[image] :lol: [/image]

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 pm

I’ve been tinkering on my 1909 open valve engine, got it running but something wasn’t right. Changed plugs, wires, checked for shorts. All 4 coils were firing. But, there was a miss, and it was hard to start. Did a compression test, all within range. Check manifold seal, float level, adjusted mixture. It was wearing me out trying to start it. Finally I pulled the 4 rebuilt coils and put them in my ECCT, and ran a series of troubleshooting tests. First coil, tested within range, fires perfectly, Second coil, same. Third coil, all good. Fourth coil, lo and behold, multi spark was shown…my ECCT has become my favorite tool in my shop. Without it, I’d be chasing the devils tail. Replaced the coil with a good one, it now starts 1/4 pull.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:55 pm

Bright blue skies and a temperature of 70°in Michigan today so my wife and I trailered the T about 50 miles south of us to where Lake Huron narrows into the St. Clair River between Port Huron on the US side and Sarnia in Canada. We cruised our favorite side roads along the river, enjoying the views and the fresh air. We stopped in Marysville at the Junction Buoy Restaurant and sat on their open deck along the river, watching giant freighters and smaller pleasure craft pass by while we ate. After a pleasant lunch we continued south to the village of Marine City where we bought some treats at a bakery for later (too full from lunch.) Retracing our route we were treated to the same beautiful vistas in reverse.... It's days like today that make me glad I'm still on the right side of the dirt. :D
My wife and our Model T parked at the restaurant.  That's Canada across the river.
My wife and our Model T parked at the restaurant. That's Canada across the river.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Added an inverse oiler.

After getting it dialed in it I noticed what appeared to be a little more low end torque.

Or not. Might be imagining it.

Looks good though. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20210910_151938078_HDR.jpg

26TRoadster
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Lloid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster/ 26 RPU/ 26 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by 26TRoadster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:43 am

Drained the fuel from my 26 roadster pu after letting it sit for 2 years with a car cover over it. I forgot to drain carb and tank when i covered it, so the carb was a mess. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb. Started after 5 turns. I am changing the oil in it tomorrow and putting a freeze plug in it noticed it was weeping some. Wife wants to use it in the front yard for part of Halloween and Thanksgiving display. Sounds great, needed to get it running again.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:51 am

The old dog is running fine, so I haven't done much with it but drive it.
Seen here at the Tuesday night shop meeting at the Antique Auto Ranch
last week, as the sun went down. I ran some errands, picking up chicken
feed and straw, roofing materials and plumbing parts along the way. I was
going to rebuild some coils, but somehow missed putting the new parts on
the truck, so all I really could do was stand around and BS with the gang.
Maybe next week ?

fullsizeoutput_9fa.jpeg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:08 am

I went to a car show today, gave a ride to an older gentleman, and then parked next to a Lamborghini. I think the car is the background is trying to look like a souped up Model T Paddy Wagon. It is probably a lot of plastic.
lamborghini.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:11 am

I went to my local swap meet today, just the second one for the year since covid shut them down. Sold a heap of tools and bought very little. i did find a pair of Duncan and Fraser cast brass tourer rear door hinges. It might be hard to find someone in need of them. The find of the day was a filthy dirty greasy left front outer wheel bearing and retaining nut. At $1, it was worth a punt. It turns out to be a really nice one under all that crud.

I took my tool trays in Henrietta. She drew the expected crowd. Most often asked question was " Did you drive it here?" Most frequent answer was "She's to heavy to push when loaded." I found out from a local who knew the car when it was on the farm from which it came, that owner, Henrietta Webb, was known as Bessie. I still like Henrietta better.

Allan from down under.

mbowen
First Name: Miles
Last Name: Bowen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Express Wagon, 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51651
MTFCI Number: 25343
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by mbowen » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:42 am

When I bought my 1925 Express Wagon in early July (my first ever T) it went into the death wobble the first time I hit high gear. Oiling all the cups on the front axle and steering seemed to help but it still went through a shimmy about 12mph. Looking toward making it tour-worthy, I just finished reinstalling the front axle and steering linkages overhauled by Denny Newman. Also installed new 7-leaf high arch leaf spring, forged shackles, and new ball socket cups on the radius rod and both ends of the drag link.

After giving about 10 miles worth of low speed rides around our airport property I took it on a 20-mile round trip on the road. My top speed was 37, but the sweet spot seems to be about 30; above that, what feels like tire imbalance becomes an issue. There is also some looseness in the steering gearbox I need to address, but the front axle overhaul made a world of difference.

The next item is brakes… :o
Attachments
4–1/2 inches now from the top of the axle to the bottom of the hanger vs. 2-1/2 with the old spring put the caster right at 3/8“ (~4-3/4 deg.)
4–1/2 inches now from the top of the axle to the bottom of the hanger vs. 2-1/2 with the old spring put the caster right at 3/8“ (~4-3/4 deg.)
The top of the oil cup on the spring ends JUST clear the perches.
The top of the oil cup on the spring ends JUST clear the perches.
My Honda Civic screw jack enables access to the spring cups.
My Honda Civic screw jack enables access to the spring cups.
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”
1925 Express Wagon “Clyde”

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:24 pm

I restored the 1914 touring for my daughters family in 2004 so they could attend the National Tour held in San Diego in 2004. It’s been fairly reliable since then though a broken crank in 2016 was a low point. We installed a SCAT and it’s been good ever since. However after my downsize in late 2020 I decided to do all those niggling little jobs that I had put off for so many years. I decided to remove the motor so just for fun I installed a “280” cam and rebuild the distributor. While the motor was out I remove all the metalwork such as fenders, splash aprons etc and have them powder coated. I also removed all the brass and made liberal use of “wenol” to make all the parts shine brightly. During the move I found a really nice bulb horn. I eventually found a new tube set up, most suppliers had no stock, so after refinishing the firewall, I drilled the necessary hole. It turn out good.
Bulb in cab
Bulb in cab

Now to fix a small rip in the top and repaint the top support metal
Attachments
Horn on firewall
Horn on firewall
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Its_Always_T_Time
First Name: Brendan
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51106
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Its_Always_T_Time » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 pm

I wanted to take Lizzie to campus with my room mate along for the ride for my school's biggest game of the year, the plan was to drive her around the field whenever we scored a touch down. Unfortunately when I opened up her house that morning her front left tire was flatter than the state of Florida. The rubber tire stem failed and has a small hole in it. All the air drained out overnight. Better that happened when she was asleep instead of out on the streets of the Bronx showing her great-great-great grandchildren how it's done. That would be embarrassing!

Decided now was as good a time as any to replace her spare too since the one she came with is completely shot. A couple new tubes, tube liners, a pair of tire irons, and a nice new Wards Riverside 30 x 3 1/2" are on their way here now. I ended up making it to campus in the 4th quarter, we were losing 57-7, so Lizzie wouldn't have been able to drive on the field much anyways. Oh well, next year she'll be there, and it will be her 100th birthday then too! (it's her 99th birthday this month) She'll have a nice new tube just in time for my neighbor's '27 Tudor to be brought back to life and race her! :lol:
Attachments
LizzeHadAFlat.jpg
The Little Ford Will Ramble Right Along!
22 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:16 am

Hauled a package to the Post office yesterday.
Seems fitting to take T parts in the T :D
Looks like rain most of today.
Attachments
C00C3346-4333-424E-A0EC-83C22003538C.jpeg

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:19 am

Lookin good Dave!

Its_Always_T_Time
First Name: Brendan
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51106
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Its_Always_T_Time » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:50 pm

Your T has a mirror? Now that's awful fancy! :lol:
The Little Ford Will Ramble Right Along!
22 Touring

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:34 am

Gave my car a long overdue bath. Tomorrow try and chase down a pesky electrical short. Keeps blowing the main fuse after 5 second run.

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring

Post by Retro54 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:42 am

Adter 2.5 years of work taking the car from a basket case to a driver, got new rubber on my 1915 RPU and started to learn how to drive it! Gonna be a fun fall now.
Attachments
Photo of my brother and I.  My brother behind the wheel getting ready to give me a lesson.
Photo of my brother and I. My brother behind the wheel getting ready to give me a lesson.
A happy me and the RPU with new Universal T drivers on it.
A happy me and the RPU with new Universal T drivers on it.

JBog
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Bogstie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50288
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by JBog » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:33 pm

I took my car to our annual "Cars, Cigars, and Guitars Under the Stars" charity car show.

I also replaced the generator with an alternator after going through 2 generators in 6 months - I am tired of constantly dealing with generator issues.
Attachments
PXL_20210911_222323587.jpg
PXL_20210922_010212933.jpg

Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

Post by Scott C. » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:01 am

I did just the opposite of Dave. I drove a T to the Post Office to pick up a package of T parts. Strange thing is, that it has a uncanny resemblance to the package that he shipped!
IMG_1769 (2).jpg

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Thorlick » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:25 pm

Sunday I drove to meet some friends to go for donuts and a ride on my 1969 Honda CT90 (whatever that is!). Of course I had to show up with the bike in my pickup... Rusty, my oxidation enhanced 1927 pickup... having loaded the bike into the bed the previous evening. It turns out that before departing on this excursion my previously injured L4-5 disc started yelling at me, to my chagrin, whilst wrapping my phalanges around Rusty's hand crank. It turns out I bailed on the bike ride but not the donut. My friends were all fellow T owners so I didn't even have to personally operate the hand crank to get home (thanks, Bill Jennings). I did note some minor looseness in the right rear wheel.

Whew, all that to explain what I did today. I tightened up the spokes on the wheel. (Wasn't that easier?) I use a handful of tools from the running board tool box:
tools for spoke tightening
tools for spoke tightening
IMG_0024.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
The key tool is the one second from left, a vintage spoke jack!

Upon completing the tightening job utilizing spoke shims from my bottle-O-shims which were formerly on my wheels before I replaced all the spokes. I rather quickly used up all the thinnest shims leaving tons of thicks. It was obvious that more thin shims should reside in the tool kit so off I went to the hardware store and purchased 6 shims ($.55 each stainless steel, 1.25" od, 0.55" id. and 0.054" thick). These were the thinnest ones the hardware store had so I forked out the $3+ tax.

Here is how I make shims:
cutting shims
cutting shims
IMG_0017S.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
just put a stack into a vice, use two vice grips and cut the slot.

Here is an old used shim next to a new one which is now tour-ready!
new shim
new shim
IMG_0022.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
new and old shims
new and old shims
IMG_0023.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
Shimming is a skill which I have found valuable to know, it has saved more than one tour for me. Some folks will frown on this procedure, I find it a safe and effective quick procedure which adds many years on to your wheels.

IMHO, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:51 am

A little early perhaps, but I went ahead and swapped out my summer air cleaner for the factory hot air pipe on Betsy, my 1924 cut-off touring. :)
Attachments
IMG_1860.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg
IMG_2898.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:20 pm

More than a few months back, I posted about my worn drive plate. Well, the engine is torn down and will have to do more than just replace the drive plate. Guess I be learning how to pour and bore Babbitt, along with transmission rebuild, new pistons, grind the crankshaft and fit rods. Just today, I got a call from the machine shop, looks like I get to relearn how to pin a block. If the numbers didn't match my title, I would look for a better block, but just the two cracks in the water jacket, none in the deck. This one you can see the other, only by crack checking was it found. :(
Attachments
DSCN1171.JPG
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Brent Mize
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Mize
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout 1927 Sport Touring
MTFCA Number: 10000

Post by Brent Mize » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:47 am

I finished my Portable Power unit.
New rubber wheels and an acrylic fan shield to keep little fingers safe.
Fun project!
Attachments
832614D7-F731-465F-BF58-F33357D8BFA1.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic