tappet wear

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Airliberty778
First Name: KENTON
Last Name: BLAIR
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Depot Hack

tappet wear

Post by Airliberty778 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:11 pm

Hi, I am taking my first T engine apart as it has a loose bearing and note that there is a divit in the center of the valve end of the tappet. Do I need to replace the tappets because if I grind the tappets down to flush, I will have excessive clearance to the valves and how critical is this clearance on a T engine. Thanks for any help.

Ken

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: tappet wear

Post by speedytinc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:31 pm

Airliberty778 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:11 pm
Hi, I am taking my first T engine apart as it has a loose bearing and note that there is a divit in the center of the valve end of the tappet. Do I need to replace the tappets because if I grind the tappets down to flush, I will have excessive clearance to the valves and how critical is this clearance on a T engine. Thanks for any help.

Ken
Valve clearance is important in any engine. No brainer. Replace with adjustable lifters. Oversize if necessary. I find usually not. You are tearing it down anyway. don it right.

Topic author
Airliberty778
First Name: KENTON
Last Name: BLAIR
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Depot Hack

Post by Airliberty778 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 am

Thanks for the info. Been a while since playing with an engine without hydraulic lifters. Will order up a set along with the other needs. Trying to keep it as original as possible within reason. Don't want to end up with a modern engine in a T block. Staying with cast pistons, original crank and stock ignition. Any thoughts on wooden bands in the trans. Had a motorcycle many years ago with a hardwood clutch and it worked great. Have heard the kevlar bands can cause issues if you don't put a filter in the tranny. thanks again for the help.

Ken

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:40 am

Airliberty778 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 am
Thanks for the info. Been a while since playing with an engine without hydraulic lifters. Will order up a set along with the other needs. Trying to keep it as original as possible within reason. Don't want to end up with a modern engine in a T block. Staying with cast pistons, original crank and stock ignition. Any thoughts on wooden bands in the trans. Had a motorcycle many years ago with a hardwood clutch and it worked great. Have heard the kevlar bands can cause issues if you don't put a filter in the tranny. thanks again for the help.

Ken
Some folk like wood. I do not. Grabby & hard. Removed several sets from customers because of complaints. Another friend recently started experiencing symptoms. I really love kevlar. BUT, the are UNFORGIVING. I wont install in T's of less than very experienced T drivers. Those experienced guys intsall themselves & have great service from them. Too many broken drums by nubies & those that didnt listen & should know better. Scandia is the safest & worry free lining. With proper operation will last a long time. Must be fresh.(not old & rotten) A screen & magnet are very good insurance either way & keep the lint captured.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic