Engine stalls, once it warms up.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Unprr
First Name: George
Last Name: Schmidt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe, 1924 Model T pickup
MTFCA Number: 49710

Engine stalls, once it warms up.

Post by Unprr » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:03 pm

I will start out saying, I put in new aluminum pistons, in my 1927 coupe. The measurements showed I needed standard size pistons and rings. I had the Babbitt checked out before continuing. It showed in very good condition.
This was my first attempt at piston installation and I using Plastigauge. The engine turns over by hand, it felt a little tight but it felt the same, before the new pistons.
Once I get it started and it warms up, the motor will just stop. It will not turn over by hand, until it cools.
Does it appear I may have tightened the rods to much.

George

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Engine stalls, once it warms up.

Post by Kerry » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:07 pm

What did you set the ring gaps at?

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:21 pm

Did you fit the new wrist pins to the new aluminum pistons ? They have to be fitted properly or they can tie up when engine warms up to operating temperature. If you bought pistons with fitted pins did you check. Also did you check the aluminum pistons and the cylinders, just because the old cast iron pistons were standard size doesn't mean that standard size aluminum pistons are a drop in fit. Off hand I would say that the rod fit is ok if you used plastic gauge to check the fit and the engine could be hand cranked ok cold. See Mike Bender's U-tube videos for more info.
Last edited by kmatt2 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Did you rotate the babbits like the manual directs ?
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 am

Aluminum pistons MUST have the wrist pins honed. My '12 came to me with aluminium pistons, wrist pins NOT honed, engine froze (then turned easily when cold), one piston partially melted, not a good scene. Saved by Jack Putnam, huge thanks, Jack!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 am

Pistons should be checked for clearance along the whole bore. Measuring bore taper would be good if possible. .004" piston clearance is about right. I prefer a bit loose. Can use a feeler gauge. First choice of the problem.
Wrisrt pins should easily finger push in. A burr in the rod clamp can cause pin distortion. After tightening the pinch, ensure rod still moves easily & bind free. Were rods checked for straightness? They are dainty & can be bent tightening pinch bolt. Best grabbed by the wrist pin to to tighten.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic