Coil Top Paint

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Coil Top Paint

Post by Jeepbone1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:20 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the non conductive black paint for the tops of ignition coils? Searching through the old forum threads didn’t really come up with anything.

Brad

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Coil Top Paint

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:55 pm

Brad

I ask this with sincerity and seriousness: have you ever FOUND a conductive black paint?

when I first started rebuilding coils, I had great angst over this subject. My results are as follows: Much experimentation; Multiple flat black paints sampled; plenty of test equipment involved; no conductive flat black paint found when applied to a wood substrate. A careful search of the forums will reveal a single picture of black paint giving an ohm reading in the meg-ohm range. I could not replicate that finding and never got a reading at all using a FLUKE 77 on a refinished coil. After testing 4-5 brands, I quit testing and reverted to a no-name brand paint for its low cost and have never had a problem.

This is one of those subjects that lends itself to producing experts who have never put in the legwork but have the answers anyway. From my experience, I think you have little to worry about.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 am

Was it paint, or was it ink or black stain? Don't know that I have ever seen any sign of black paint on any of the coils that I have worked with.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 am
Was it paint, or was it ink or black stain? Don't know that I have ever seen any sign of black paint on any of the coils that I have worked with.
"original" is always a difficult question to answer.
Answer to non-conductive paint
Don't use Acrylic Paint https://acrylicartworld.com/does-acryli ... ectricity/
So can acrylic paint conduct electricity? Yes, despite being plastic and water based, acrylic paints are good to moderate conductors of static electrical charges. More specifically, there is a particular type of paint called Conducive Acrylic Paint which is actually designed to conduct small amounts of static currents.

The use of Stain is questionable if oil based since some oils could be conductive, also additives are an unknown.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/definiti ... ve-coating
What Does Non-conductive Coating Mean?
Non-conductive coatings are specialized coatings that limit the transfer of heat or electricity to the metal substrate with the coating applied. Most non-conductive coatings are organic in nature and achieve their insulative properties by being devoid of conductive metals such as copper, zinc and nickel. Classes of non-conductive coatings include:
Polyurethanes
Epoxies
Ceramic coatings
Polymers
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic