Trying to trace a short. ??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Trying to trace a short. ??

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:53 pm

My car is 12volt. 26/27. Equipped with SureFire ignition and older Texas T Alternator with inline diode . Headlights,taillights,brake lights all work. When I start the car engine runs for 5 seconds then fuse blows at start switch. All my wires are soldered and in good condition having replaced 7 years ago. Trying to figure out further searches. I pulled ignition switch yesterday and all wires were good. Noticed that inline diode wire is a little wonky but I don’t think that if even broken that it would shut down the engine. Any search ideas ??

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Trying to trace a short. ??

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Is the fuse in the main feed from the battery side of the start switch to the ignition switch? With the ignition and all accessories OFF, does a volt meter show a reading across the fuse terminals with the fuse out?

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:31 pm

With the key and lights off, Use a Digital Multi meter set to ohms. Connect one probe to the fuse holder (fuse out the side going to the terminal block) the other to ground. You probably a reading of zero ohms or very few ohms Next disconnect one circuit at a time from the terminal board. When you get infinity on the ohm meter you have found the circuit that is shorted to ground. Visually inspect that circuit to find the bad spot where insulation is missing.
1926 Tudor

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:38 pm

One place to eyeball is the hole in the firewall where the wiring passes through.

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:41 pm

Easy way to find a short that has worked for me for 45 years is to disconnect one battery cable, it doesn't matter which one, connect a test light between the cable and the battery terminal. Replace any bad fuses. If the light comes on, there is a draw on the battery, so you disconnect one circuit at a time until the light goes out. That identifies the place to look in the wiring. On a T, I would start with the generator feed wire if it has one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic