Crank pulley pin question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Elliott
First Name: Wilber
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Model T Touring
MTFCI Number: 22121
Board Member Since: 2007

Crank pulley pin question

Post by Bill Elliott » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:44 pm

I just purchased the aluminum split crankshaft pulley that has the Allen screw to tighten it on the shaft. I decided to reuse my old pin with the cotter hole in it instead of the roll pin that came with the pulley. However, once I hammered the pin in place with a punch, the cotter pin hole doesn't come past the pulley. If I punch it further to access the hole, the pin sticks out too far on the opposite side of the pulley. My question is, since the original taper pin is extremely snug, can I run it without the cotter pin? The roll pin that came with it doesn't have a cotter hole so why can't I use my original pin the same way?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Crank pulley pin question

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:54 pm

You could shorten the original pin, however, the hole in the aluminum pulley is not smaller on one side as the original and so if the pin gets loose, it will protrude. Also the cotter pin might interfere with the crank. I use the rolled pin. I have those on two cars and so far have not had a problem.
Norm

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:08 pm

Those roll pins are no good if you crank start a lot, they will break. shorten your pin, drill a hole for cotter pin so one at both ends/ Also I've found that on the few of those new pullies that they are not machined deep enough for the crank yoke to fit so had to turn then in the lathe to work correctly.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Kerry wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:08 pm
Those roll pins are no good if you crank start a lot, they will break. shorten your pin, drill a hole for cotter pin so one at both ends/ Also I've found that on the few of those new pullies that they are not machined deep enough for the crank yoke to fit so had to turn then in the lathe to work correctly.
I prefer not to use them for a hand crank car as stated above. I doubt there is enough room to effectively use a cotter pin.
Consider drilling the center of the crank for a set screw.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:31 pm

This problem is a direct result of using an 'improved' non original part. If the original pin was OK, presumably there was a problem with the original pulley. Could it not be repaired?

Allan from down under.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Those alum flanged pulleys are my choice over used Ford steel crank pulleys.

The set screw keeps the pulley firm on the crankshaft. But I'll not trust a hollow roll pin for the starting crank ratchet, so I use the Ford all steel pin.

Place the pin so a tiny part of the solid pin with the cotter hole just slightly engages the opposite hole in the pulley. Makes the pin fit so it can't bend on hard crank handle usage. The cotter is well clear of the starting crank ratchet, so there is clearance for that toothed ratchet. I always check to be sure of good cotter clearance when fitting the solid pin.

When you fit the pin, then clamp down the split flanged pulley with the set screw.....that tightens all, the pulley and the pin, nothing can move.

IMG_2909.jpeg

Small end hole with pin just protruding .jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:55 pm

The original pin is straight, not tapered.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:58 pm

Dan McEachern makes the absolute best crank pulleys. I’ve had guys bring me others that needed a lot of aluminum taken off before use. A lot! Don’t know and don’t care where those came from but save the trouble, get Dan’s unless you want to wrestle worn out original stuff, or find NOS JMHO !

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:59 pm

That’s why God now makes tapered pins, Steve! You can fight a worn out hole, or install a tapered pin.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic