Disclaimer I have no affiliation with the Dodge motor company and I am not advising that you buy a Dodge :-) :-)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
norrie_model_t
First Name: norrie
Last Name: mavre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Ford Model T Sedan
MTFCA Number: 31587

Disclaimer I have no affiliation with the Dodge motor company and I am not advising that you buy a Dodge :-) :-)

Post by norrie_model_t » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:33 pm

I'm wondering if this is how they applied the paint at the Ford Model T plant?

Warning warning warning this has nothing to do with the Model T!!!!!Warning warning warning after watching this you may want to purchase a Dodge :-) :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdvweoHbBcs

Absolutely wonderful to still have this footage........I hope everybody enjoys watching this as much as I did absolutely fantastic.

Norrie Edinburgh Scotland

PS I hope you guys are still talking to me after posting this :-) :-)

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Re: Disclaimer I have no affiliation with the Dodge motor company and I am not advising that you buy a Dodge :-) :-)

Post by modeltspaz » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:49 pm

The Dodge Brothers had a brewery at the factory in Hamtramck, Michigan. Every Dodge Brothers employee received one beer at lunch, except the employees who worked in the foundry. They received two.
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Disclaimer I have no affiliation with the Dodge motor company and I am not advising that you buy a Dodge :-) :-)

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Yes, I have seen this one and several others....OMG it made me buy a Dodge...oh wait, I have owned many Dodges. My 1920 being the latest one! :lol:
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
norrie_model_t
First Name: norrie
Last Name: mavre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Ford Model T Sedan
MTFCA Number: 31587

Post by norrie_model_t » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:34 am

modeltspaz wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:49 pm
The Dodge Brothers had a brewery at the factory in Hamtramck, Michigan. Every Dodge Brothers employee received one beer at lunch, except the employees who worked in the foundry. They received two.
I wonder how many beers the men got who were working with the arsenic??

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:08 am

"I wonder how many beers the men got who were working with the arsenic??"
I think all they got was some old lace! :lol:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036613/
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:48 am

:lol: :lol:
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:03 am

Three things to note:

A. Look at how the engines smoked when they were first started. Probably the rings were not seated until after the test drive was complete.

B. The paint process looks identical to the Model T Ford. They were not so much sprayed as they were applied with what looks like a garden hose nozzle, with the excess just dripping off to be reclaimed and reused.

C. The Dodge assembly line is NOT a complete moving assembly line. Parts are assembled at stationary positions, and finally taken to the moving assembly line where the actual car assembly starts. Look at the chassis assembly as an example.
The Ford assembly line moved from each subassembly right to the final assembly line. There were very few stationary work points in Model T production. The Ford plant was like a giant river with hundreds of little streams, all moving to join up with the assembly line. Every day the Ford plant moved 1,400,000 lbs. of parts through the plant, and hardly any of them ever stopped moving until they were rolled out the door. Then the next day, they did it ALL OVER AGAIN. You see the pictures of a day's production at Ford, but the thing to think about is that EVERY CAR WAS GONE THAT DAY! Ford never stored ANY cars. They left the factory and were immediately loaded on rail cars and shipped out. Watching the Dodge video, it is immediately apparent that there was a HUGE difference between the Ford assembly plant and the Dodge plant. And this was sometime in the 1920's, when the Ford plant was completely moving

And then I consider my little Brush Runabout, which was built in a plant with NO moving assembly lines, where each car was built at a station by a team of men, who then moved on to the next station, while the next set of parts was assembled at the station they had just left, for the next Brush Runabout. Some cars never GOT to be assembled on a moving assembly line.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic