Info about this timer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Info about this timer

Post by NY John T » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Hi All,
I have this timer on the 27 Tudor and would like some idea of its usefulness. It says on the front "The Recto M..... (the rest is worn away); Cincinatti. It has some wear on the round contact points as you can see in the photo. And the contact points are worn in a concave (uneven) pattern. Is this from normal use? The car is a barn find and been in storage over 30 years. Should I reuse this commutator, or replace it. Next big question... if I replace it, which type would be the best? I've seen rollers brushes and flappers and don't know the pros and cons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
John
Recto timer cover.jpg
timer and brush.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Info about this timer

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:28 pm

There is no "best" timer...only opinions of owners who are happy with "theirs". For you, the best timer is one which will work for you without a bunch of frequent fooling around. Avoid purchasing an older repro New Day timer off of someone's shelf...these are prone to rapid wear, while new ones now do not seem to have that problem and should be just fine. Take that to heart and you'll likely be happy with what ever you buy.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:49 pm

That timer is too worn to use. Most of the reproduction timers sold by the vendors will work fine, the real difference between them is how long they last... but they all wear out eventually, some sooner than others.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:14 pm

I would not reuse it, at least not as-is. It could maybe be resurfaced to remove the steps. However, I would opt for an Anderson style timer.

Bill Coyle
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Coyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 24067

Post by Bill Coyle » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:52 pm

https://rectomolded.com/history/
The company that made your timer is still in Business in Cincinnati. Says it opened in 1919 for the automotive industry. I'm sure someone would be interested in adding it to their timer collection!
I would agree not to use it as is... but
You definitely could resurface it with a light cut in a lathe... then finish by lightly sanding with fine sand paper on a flat disk.
Bill Coyle

Topic author
NY John T
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by NY John T » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:49 am

Thanks all,
I really appreciate it.
John

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:29 am

Your timer is another version (sort of) of the New Day timer that’s still being used by lots of T owners. It’s been reproduced over the years and some aren’t as good as others.
The originals can still be found are considered the best. The ones reproduced now are pretty good for some.

The Ford style roller timers, Anderson Timers, and the New day are the best to use if you want to have an original in style timer. Opinions will vary as with anything concerning a T!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic