What has more market value?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

What has more market value?

Post by Been Here Before » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:04 pm

Reading some of the post, folks having issues finding parts and once large recycled parts dealer going out of business, I need to ask this question, "Is my Model T worth more when sold as a complete road worthy car? OR is my car worth more if I part it out?"

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: What has more market value?

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:30 pm

I believe a car is worth more than the sum of its parts. Labor, tools, supplies, shipping, search time, etc. as well as shop space to build a car from a heap of parts, even brand new parts, are expensive. Expertise can be expensive, too, unless you happen to be born with it. As for parting out a car, or any number of them, there are a number of expenses involved with that, too. It's easy to go broke in most any branch of the auto business.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:10 am

Been Here Before wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:04 pm
Reading some of the post, folks having issues finding parts and once large recycled parts dealer going out of business, I need to ask this question, "Is my Model T worth more when sold as a complete road worthy car? OR is my car worth more if I part it out?"
Complete or Parts? all depends.... on the year, model, originality, condition (mechanical & visual), provenance and what the buyerS (plural) need or are willing to pay. My answer is from this perspective: If someone was to build a Model T from parts, all in the same condition as yours but from multiple people, the cost of the individual parts, shipping and sales tax, would be more than than buying a complete vehicle. What is excluded from this calculation is your time and effort to dismantle the parts and the duration to sell them all (if all are sold).
The buyer's labor to build a T from parts or to do "whatever"to your road worthy T doesn't relate to what its worth to you.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:51 am

How do you make a small fortune in the model t hobby? Start with a large fortune... ;) Cheers, Bill

Topic author
Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am

To all who replied and those who haven't, The parts on the car would be offered as "You pull" the part you need. I would not have to loose money and time by doing the work for some one else. Why the car could, be driven to where the part was needed.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:56 am

No way would Iet some yahoo go into my car if I were parting it out to "rip" out what they need. They may do nist THAT...as in damage something getting to what they want.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:11 am

You may not be able to sell all the parts if you part one out. A few parts are in high demand and might bring good money. Other parts are quite plentiful and might be hard to find a buyer for. Unless you have room for half the parts it might be better to sell one as a whole car.
When did I do that?

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am

Been Here Before wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am
. . . Why the car could, be driven to where the part was needed.
Sounds great, George ! Let's see - you're in central Pennsylvania, I'm in Blackfoot, Idaho, some 2000 miles away. Drive on out, I'll pull the cylinder head I need. :shock: Now what ?!? :shock:

:lol: Seriously, the model T hobby is not a money-making proposition, nor is it even possible in most cases to recapture an investment. For years it has been more economical to buy a restoration than to "do" one. We're supposed to be about preserving Model Ts and all that appertains - parting out a complete vehicle is definitely in opposition to that ideal.
"Get a horse !"

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Perhaps you can flip the question. Which is cheaper, buying a complete running T, or building one from scratch using used parts? I believe the the whole car is the less expensive answer. Therefore, if you could successfully part out and sell most of a complete T (or many used modern cars), you should end up with more money. But it is a lot more hassle, and you run the risk of ending up with bits and pieces that nobody wants before you hit the “sell it running” price point. Wrecked or non-running cars are less risky to part out to break even, due to their lower “whole” value.

Eric

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Depends on the year. Early cars ie 1912 and prior bring less money that their parts. That's because all the parts are in demand. Later cars not so.

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:30 pm

Richard
Recent case bought a 14 speedster prodject in June
I got it running drove it 10+ miles put it for sale
Bought this speedster less then 5k
Added 1500 tires tubes ect
Posted this car needing paint uphoster at $7500
Long story short my 14 needed new wheels old ones loose
So first came a swap
Lowered the price 5k on the speedster not much interest
Accept I like this or that from folks so I parted it out
Got my 7500 out of it still have wheels new tires the seats and better parts early stuff on my 14 to boot
So yes seems parts are worth more then a complete car but then location might be a factor easier ship
Less the 4 months

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic