More engine finds.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

More engine finds.

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 pm

With the pan off and the engine upside down I found these in the center two pistons. I know what they are but am surprised. Can you recognize them?
Fri3.jpg
When did I do that?

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: More engine finds.

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:49 pm

Wire on the left WAS the wrist pin bolt retaining wire - not sure on the right piece. There's a reason the Ford manual shows a large cotter pin on that bolt !

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: More engine finds.

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:18 pm

I would not have guessed the piece at right. However, when assembling the high speed clutch discs, one large disc had 2 missing portions just that size missing just next to external notches for the brake drum lugs. As I had never seen that before, I suspected someone may have tried to improve it with a grinder. It didn't look broken and there were no cracks or distortion to that disc. I suspect another piece may have escaped my detection. The transmission was cleaned, inspected and reassembled. I don't plan to change out that disc now.
No matter how many times we rebuild these things there are always new occurrences to entertain us.
As far as the transmission which failed on the Lava Tour:
download/file.php?id=104739&t=1
... disassembly revealed two cracks in the low speed drum. I suspect it cracked from the incident but it could have happened anytime in the last 20 years. The 3 drums and bands were blued from heat much worse than parts away from the friction heat. The engine oil was black as ink and 1 1/2 quarts had disappeared. It also contained a grit like sand. This was burnt or worn from the Kevlar. While the pan is off the engine I have thoroughly cleaned both the pan and engine. The reverse drum bushing was frozen to the slow speed drum shaft. I had to heat it to remove it and when it cooled it was too small to fit back in it's hole tightly FWIW. All the other parts looked good enough to reassemble with a good low drum and new bands. I couldn't see excessive wear from the incident except for the bands.
I attribute the problem from the length and steepness of the hill and the heavier Tudor. Had there been flatter road stretches in between this might have been avoided. I haven't had band failures on the many longer passes with lighter (open) cars before (55 years). I have noticed band wear both Kevlar and cotton fabric after hills.
Live and learn.
Rich
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic