Current Advice To get Rid Of Double Sparking….

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Current Advice To get Rid Of Double Sparking….

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:47 pm

After sitting for years on a shelf I re-magnetized my HCCT in order to test and adjust some coils in current use, stored coils and to check out 3 new coils from one of our vendors.

All the units I am presently using and my spares were easily adjusted between 1.4-1.5 amps. and none had double sparks. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 new ones right out of the box from a well known vendor have some double sparks.

I have gone back into the archives and have read to get rid of the double sparking to…
(1) Use needle nose pliers and twist the upper points between the rear mounting nuts.
(2) Bend the upper points up or down at the end furthest from the two mounting nuts.
(3) Tap the top of the upper points with the butt of a screwdriver at the upper points rivet.

Anyone have better success or another idea before I try this out? I have a tendency to break things being too aggressive! 😊

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Current Advice To get Rid Of Double Sparking….

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:57 pm

None of the above...

easier to send you here than type...: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80 ... 1248047074
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
MichaelPawelek

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Thanks Scott, That’s exactly what I needed. The MTFCA Electrical System Booklet I have does not explain this in the coil section.

I actually have one of the John Regan tools in a bag of old points and had forgotten it’s use.
What does this tool do? Also in the bag of old points…

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Moxie26 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:27 pm

All the units I am presently using and my spares were easily adjusted between 1.4-1.5 amps. and none had double sparks. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 new ones right out of the box from a well known vendor have some double sparks...... .. .......,.......... .........
Michael, the goal to set coils should be 1.3 amps. No matter who you received those coils from if they were sent through the mail there's a possibility through package handling the electrical values that were made at the coil rebuilders could very well be changed due to that package being dropped changing the tension on the coil points....

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:29 pm

Michael . ......that tool was made to properly set the limiting rivet on the upper point assembly

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:37 pm

Michael

points were notorious for having either too-large of a cushion spring/rivet gap, or outright loose rivets

those pliers were Ron Patterson's creation and were intended (once adjusted correctly) to press the rivet to the correct working length and then spread the center-peened end to keep it in place. I used to use mine to do the first part...set the rivet length and then I used my watchmaker's staking tool to finish the job. There were at least 20 from his first run of tools...I don't know if he did more or not. They were clever and I liked mine. Not a mandatory tool to use, but if you're doing a lot of the same work repetitively, they were handy and I'm happy to have mine though it doesn't get as much use as it used to.
Scott Conger

Topic author
MichaelPawelek

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Moxie26 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:27 pm
All the units I am presently using and my spares were easily adjusted between 1.4-1.5 amps. and none had double sparks. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 new ones right out of the box from a well known vendor have some double sparks...... .. .......,.......... .........
Michael, the goal to set coils should be 1.3 amps. No matter who you received those coils from if they were sent through the mail there's a possibility through package handling the electrical values that were made at the coil rebuilders could very well be changed due to that package being dropped changing the tension on the coil points....
Thanks for the help Bob. I’ll go back for the 1.3 amps. if possible.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 am

This is interesting information. In addition to what has been said, would dirty or pitted points cause double sparks even though the tension is right?

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:12 am

Dirty points... Whatever shows as "dirty" may have some electrical insulation qualities... The upper and lower point assemblies would have to be removed and cleaned.,........ Pitted points would show metal transfer, which is common in older adjusted coils. Using a fine point file on these points, still a top the coil, would eliminate this metal transfer and clean the point surface, except for the depression in the opposite point, so point gap can be checked and adjusted physically and electrically.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:27 am

It's best to start with new points. Bad points will affect adjustment. A well-adjusted coil will allow long point life. New or very good points will make adjusting a coil easier and make the adjustment more stable. Point alignment is critical, and the condition of the tension spring is critical.

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Pat .... Agreeable. Not only should you have new point sets for your coils, the internal capacitor should be checked and/or changed.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:36 pm

If you can access one of Mr. Kossor's excellent ECCT units, you can easily check capacitors without taking the coil apart.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:38 pm

All of my KW coils have wooden tops. It looks to me like a steel top coil would be more likely to hold a precise adjustment. It's amazing how delicate an adjustment will make a significant difference in how the coil operates.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:04 pm

The capacitor inside the coil can be checked with a very affordable tester. I have one and use it regularly. I have never tested an old undisturbed coil that had a good capacitor.
I believe a tester. Is available f I r under 20 bucks on the internet.
Coil impedence meters which measure Henry's are also available at low prices. I don't have one but thinking about asking for one for Christmas, like I did for the capacitor tester..
Art Mirtes

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 pm

Pat.. ..... Metal top coil terminals are physically insulated from the metal top, and hold their adjustment just as well as the later ones without the metal top.

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:53 pm

With your reference to delicate adjustments.. any pressure on the terminals or point assemblies will change the electrical value, I'm talking about finger pressure outside vibration, and especially in mail order......

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:26 pm

With due respect, most people having watched the cushion spring being adjusted or the amperage draw raised or lowered, would be seriously hard pressed to call adjustments "delicate".

Bending, tapping (hammering!) and/or prying are all involved.

Having lived in FL for most of my life, I was used to spring time when the wood case was fully shrunk after a "dry" winter, and an occasional misfire on one of my rebuilt (by me) coils would act up...a nut driver on the nuts invariably needed a 1/4 twist or so to firm connections up and never, not once, did a retightened coil require readjusting for either amperage or double sparking...and "yes" I always checked for good measure. In general, they could be ignored for a couple of years and then one would need tightening, and at that point, they'd all be checked for tightness and then verified for performance.

So long as the points do not receive a direct sharp blow, coils will readily survive shipping/handling and I would not call any of their adjustments or ability to remain adjusted, "delicate". Upon my entry into the hobby, I would not have believed it, but in fact, these things are amazingly robust.

I'm not looking to pick a fight with this post, and no one disagreeing with this will succeed in drawing me in. Have at it if you wish, though. I'm simply trying to make it clear to new owners that these things are not worthy of being afraid of, and if you have a good set of professionally rebuilt coils, and your car misbehaves in the future, do not constantly seek a cure in the coil box, nor become convinced by the local "T Expert" that a distributor is the sole solution to your problem...these things are robust and work great for many many years with exceptionally little attention.
Scott Conger

Topic author
MichaelPawelek

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:33 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:36 pm
If you can access one of Mr. Kossor's excellent ECCT units, you can easily check capacitors without taking the coil apart.
The ECCT units have not been available for quite some time. Chip shortage?

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Scott, thank you for your post. Whatever companies have produced point sets through the years they have inadvertently used different materials. There have been sets of points where the upper rivet, through use, wore through the very thin metal of the vibrator. Coil boxes have been found to be tight in the middle case and were removed by pliers or fingers on the upper bridge that changed the electrical values. Thank you for your interests.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 pm

I have found that a very light tap or a gentle pry will make a measurable change the adjustment. I'd think metal top coils would be preferable to wood top ones in that the metal would provide a more stable base for the vibrator assembly. It's no trick at all to get a coil to buzz and produce a spark. Getting 4 of them to behave the same requires some finesse.
Last edited by TXGOAT2 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:13 pm

I just bought one of Mr. Kosser's tester outfits. Perhaps I got the last one.

Topic author
MichaelPawelek

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:25 pm

I have been emailing this site for 6 weeks with no response and it says unavailable. Am I on the wrong site?

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:31 pm

I guess so. I bought one with no difficulty. Order placed in the mail 10-12-21, received entire order last Friday via USPS. Try: mictel@comcast.net

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:11 pm

"I had my coils adjusted by his eminance, the coil Guru, and haven't had the top off my coil box in 20 years and my car still runs great" Yeah, YoKay...... heard it before. Glad to know folks are enjoying driving their Model T: no matter what.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:41 pm

FWIW, I adjusted coils last night, it being my first attempt at using the ECCT, and without addressing the condition, gap or alignment of the points, all of which are less than ideal. I did not touch the timer. All of the coils showed to have dwell issues. I ran the capacitor test, and all showed good. I then proceded to the dwell adjustment, and with some fiddling, was able to bring them all into the excellent range. Some further adjustment was needed after running the double spark test. The difference between some of the coils was 7 degrees or more and 2 showed double sprking issues. I then rechecked them all, and one needed a little more persuasion on the dewll adjustment. I put them back in the car and fired it up and immediately noticed that it ran smoother. Today I took it out for a 25 mile run in 95 degree heat with a gusty wind. Overall performance was noticeably better with less throttle needed to ascend familiar hills, even with a headwind. An annoying sound that would occur at road speeds with the timing well advanced is gone. I'm still not happy with the idle, but that may be related to the condition of the points, the timer, or to a non-ignition problem. So far, it has started on Mag easily. It now runs at road speeds with a smooth, steady purr. A slight tendency to buck at low speeds in high is gone. I'm going to replace all the points and try to gap them accurately and then retest the coils and adjust as necessary. As soon as I get a radiator leak addressed, I'm going to install an I timer.

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:16 pm

Pat..... Congratulations on improving your ignition.!!!

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:18 pm

The car now starts pretty easily on MAG. If the mixture is correct, a brisk quarter pull and off it goes. Knowing this, I'm in no hurry to repair the generator and put it back on. The engine is somewhat quieter with the generator off. I made a block off plate from a metal cover plate for an electrical junction box. All it needed was 3 holes drilled.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic