Adjustable Valve Lifters

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Adjustable Valve Lifters

Post by Dennis_Brown » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:59 pm

I called Lang's and was told the 3 wrench valve lifters are no longer available. From what I have seen in the past the self locking do not always stay locked.
It appears the adjusting bolt is 1/4 inch fine thread grade 8 that has the head ground shorter. Has anyone on the forum cut off the solid lifters, ground them to the length they wanted, ground the sides parallel for a 7/16th's wrench, drilled and tapped them and made their own. Someone had to experiment originally to make them. I think it is worth a try to experiment a little. Once you cut off the end the core should be drillable.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Adjustable Valve Lifters

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Those are going to be real hard. Those are forged steel!

Hank

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:37 pm

Dennis_Brown wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:59 pm
I called Lang's and was told the 3 wrench valve lifters are no longer available. From what I have seen in the past the self locking do not always stay locked.
It appears the adjusting bolt is 1/4 inch fine thread grade 8 that has the head ground shorter. Has anyone on the forum cut off the solid lifters, ground them to the length they wanted, ground the sides parallel for a 7/16th's wrench, drilled and tapped them and made their own. Someone had to experiment originally to make them. I think it is worth a try to experiment a little. Once you cut off the end the core should be drillable.
Actually I had an overhead motor with 292 lifters(.500" dia) I converted those lifters as you described. To use with a flathead. No issues. Center of lifters are soft. Surface hardened.
I prefer the non self lockers. Never had one get loose. Did shear a self locker bolt once.

Both types of lifters are being made by colony. Sold thru colony vendors.(harley parts guys) Normally not available easily in standard size. A quick look on ebay has both types in 3 sizes. Standard non locks individually $8.75 each. 10 available now!! I prefer colony - nice thin heads for stipe cams. Get on it fast. availability swings. Revised : self lockers .030 + only.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:07 pm

Couldn't you just add a locking nut to the self locking style? You might need to shorten them a bit to make room for the nut, but that seems as if it would be doable?

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:36 am

Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:07 pm
Couldn't you just add a locking nut to the self locking style? You might need to shorten them a bit to make room for the nut, but that seems as if it would be doable?
I suppose one could. The nut might have to be made. It has to be 3/8 hex to work.

greenacres36
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor, 1915 Runabout

Post by greenacres36 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:53 am

I suppose it’s like anything else you buy from various vendors where the quality is all over the place. I bought some earlier this year from a vendor and the adjustment bolts were so tight I thought I was going to twist them off. But they didn’t. So I was delighted with them. I’ve worked on a few old Ford tractors that were converted to adjustable lifters and never had the inconsistency in the lifters that it seems that we’re having with model T parts. I too wish there was a better solution. One of my cars was already equipped with the double lock lifters and two of them had came loose. I now know why I had an intermittent miss that was driving me nuts.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:23 am

greenacres36 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:53 am
I suppose it’s like anything else you buy from various vendors where the quality is all over the place. I bought some earlier this year from a vendor and the adjustment bolts were so tight I thought I was going to twist them off. But they didn’t. So I was delighted with them. I’ve worked on a few old Ford tractors that were converted to adjustable lifters and never had the inconsistency in the lifters that it seems that we’re having with model T parts. I too wish there was a better solution. One of my cars was already equipped with the double lock lifters and two of them had came loose. I now know why I had an intermittent miss that was driving me nuts.
Lets not forget the last recent lifter debacle. Heads were made to thick on a batch. Resized AFTER heat treat & mixed with good ones. So you end up with ONE headless lifter in a 3 cylinder T needing a tear down. How many of these time bombs remain? If that aint malicious greed?

Emeraude
First Name: George
Last Name: Loranger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 touring
MTFCA Number: 32239

Post by Emeraude » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 am

Are the 2 wrench lifters still available. ?

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:45 am

Emeraude wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 am
ebay has all colony brand sizes & types. Couldnt tell you about normal T parts vendors

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:23 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:45 am
Emeraude wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 am
ebay has all colony brand sizes & types. Couldnt tell you about normal T parts vendors
Got a link to one of those offerings???

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:58 pm

I search model t lifters in ebay. 69 possible come up. Most not material. Here is an item #. 172859881656 Seller is hdhummer.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:40 pm

I have 4 each oversize 3 piece design used in good condition if that will help someone.

Hank

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:14 pm

Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:07 pm

That was what I did to one of my Ts about 25 years ago. If I could still afford to buy new lifters? It is what I would do again.

And, for the record, I have made my own adjustable lifters out of old used original era non-adjustable lifters. The only reason I bothered, was at the time I was too broke to buy new lifters. All my old ones and old valves were too short to work by fitting and grinding, a method I generally prefer anyway.
Original lifters may in fact be "case hardened"? A factor I was counting on at the time. However, more than half of them were still too hard inside to drill and thread. It turned out to be a lot more trouble than it was worth. The engine they are in has never been run, but I am still hoping to find out some day whether it works at all or not?

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:38 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:58 pm
I search model t lifters in ebay. 69 possible come up. Most not material. Here is an item #. 172859881656 Seller is hdhummer.
Awesome! Thanks!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172859881656?h ... Sw9YNZtW1d

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic